Which Hawaiian Islands...........

I haven't been to a bad one yet! :p ;)

They all have their plusses and minuses. It really depends on what you like. That is why I think a cruise to Hawaii is great for a first time visit because you get a taste of each. Plus with a pre or post stay you get some time to really explore one of the islands, usually Oahu, which is a wonderful place on all levels. You get the big city of Honolulu, the glitter of Waikiki, the coolness of the North Shore, amazing resorts, the historical places like Pearl Harbor and the Punchbowl, wonderful restaurants and shops. So really there is much to see and do, and you will want to return, again and again.

If I had to rate them of the major islands

I would go Maui, Kona (on the big island), Oahu, Kauai, Hilo (on the big island) I haven't been yet to the small islands, but would like to someday!

jc

That's a tough one. First I'll eliminate my least favorite: Oahu, Honolulu is like being in any other big US city. North Shore is nice though.

\The others are a tossup depending on what you're looking for and how much time you have. Kauai is beautiful and is the least touristy but there is not much nightlife. Small enough to drive around the whole island in 1 day. The sunset catamaran cruise to the Napali Coast is awesome.

Maui has the best nightlife and is also beautiful. It is too large and too many things to do in 1 day. You'd need 1 day to go to Hana alone. You'd need to do the 38 mile bikeride down the Volcano and for sure eat at Mama's Fish House.

The Big Island is my favorite, but they don't call it the Big Island for nothing. We've spent 16 days there over the last 2 yrs and still haven't gotten to see or do what I would like.

Really, you can't go wrong on any of the islands. Would go again this year if I hadn't been able to talk the wife into our first cruise on the Rhapsody out of Galveston.

We love all the islands, but have spent more time on Maui than any of the others. Our next land stay will have to be Kauai, we have only been there twice on cruises and have a great desire to go back. Nightlife is not a great interest to us, we are happy with a good meal and a fabulous sunset. We do like Oahu, but not Honolulu, been there once for a couple of days, that was enough. We have some friends that live out of town, in a resort area called Ko Olina, there is a Marriott (Ihilani) that is fabulous. The area is much quieter than Honolulu and more what you might expect Hawaii to be like. If you think of tropical and exotic, you will be disappointed in Waikiki, Honolulu is a very crowded city with a lot of large buildings and hotels. The beach there (from what we saw) was no big deal, much nicer beaches out of town or on Maui. It's worth a couple of days to visit and there are a lot of sights to see, but not what I would call a tropical paradise. Get out of Honolulu and Oahu is a beautiful island.

I've only spent a couple of days on the Big Island and would enjoy a longer stay. We have only been on the Kona side once and went snorkeling right off the dock, unfortunately didn't get onto the island at all. I guess I'll have to go back there, too.

I'll agree with xpcdoojk, a cruise is a great way to get a taste of the different islands. Do yourself a favor and stay a couple of days either before or after your cruise, you will not regret it.

We've taken land vacations to Hawaii - been to Maui, Oahu, and the "Big Island". While each is different they are unique in their offerings. Oahu has some wonderful historical offerings and yet is very city like with tons of shopping, etc. Maui has beautiful scenery and great nightlife. (Our favorite), and the big island with their Kona Coffee and black sand beaches, and volcanos. I would LOVE to do a cruise to Hawaii and see the other islands as well. Don't think you could go wrong with a Hawaii cruise unless the cruise line was a disapppointment.

Hey yogimax, my wife grew up in Astoria on 19th st. &21st ave. now she lives in the country like green acres...lol.

Thanks for the info all. Just about everyone I've talked to has put Maui at the top of there list. The nightlife seems to be everyones plus.

Hey yogimax, my wife grew up in Astoria on 19th st. &21st ave. now she lives in the country like green acres...lol.

Thanks for the info all. Just about everyone I've talked to has put Maui at the top of there list. The nightlife seems to be everyones plus.

42nd Street & 25th Avenue. Is it possible your wife is Greek? Anyway, Maui is terrific, but don't ignore Oahu. It's hard to go wrong in Hawaii. Please say hello to Arnold and Mr. Ziffle.

A cruise "to Hawaii" or a cruise "in Hawaii?" Do you have the time or want to spend all those days at sea? We want to do a Hawaii cruise in a year or two, but as much as we like RCL, and have many discounts, it looks like NCL Pride of Aloha* (it's many problems have been solved) or the new Pride of America are a better deal. (*was formerly Norwegian Sky, which we loved!)

Even though my first cruise will be in January 2006 - I've been many times to Hawaii. For a first timer, you definitely need to see Oahu and rent a car for the day - to see the north shore and the windward coast and of course to see Pearl Harbor.

But my favorite island is hands down Kauai. If you are looking for night life - its not Kauai - but the beauty of Kauai is my all time favorite. It is not as commercialized and I just love Kauai. Kona is pretty much commercialized also - but I like the Waikoloa area of the Big Island and Maui is great also. Its just a matter of taste.

There are all great! One day would love to cruise around Hawaii - hmmmmm

maybe in 2007.

Aloha,

Judy:)

Cruising to Hawaii in 06 love the sea days and since this one is round trip from LA get those 4 sea days coming and going. Hang on east you may find you like cruising with us and want to join us again for Waynes 60th BD party or not LOL

Archived