Cork Ireland to Southampton, UK.

HELP - We need transportation from Cork Ireland to Southampton, UK.

We will be arriving in Cork Ireland on the morning of Tuesday, 19 July 2011, on the Holland America'sRotterdam VI cruise ship.

We also have reservations to sail from Southampton, England on Wednesday, 20 July 2011, at 4:00 PM. on Cunard'sQueen Mary 2.

Thanks,

Wallygator :)

We will be arriving in Cork Ireland on the morning of Tuesday, 19 July 2011, on the Holland America'sRotterdam VI cruise ship.

We also have reservations to sail from Southampton, England on Wednesday, 20 July 2011, at 4:00 PM. on Cunard'sQueen Mary 2.

Thanks,

Wallygator :)[/quote]

Aer Lingus fly from ORK/Cork to LHR/Heathrow, LGW/Gatwick; BHX/Birmingham which all have decent connections to Southampton (via Bus, Train, Train respectively). Of the three I'd probably pick Gatwick, because there's going to be more service to LGW than BHX; and I'd rather take the train vs the bus from LHR.

Thanks,

Wallygator :)

Aer Lingus fly from ORK/Cork to LHR/Heathrow, LGW/Gatwick; BHX/Birmingham which all have decent connections to Southampton (via Bus, Train, Train respectively). Of the three I'd probably pick Gatwick, because there's going to be more service to LGW than BHX; and I'd rather take the train vs the bus from LHR.

Hello Scottbee,

Thank you for your prompt reply. The flights with Aer Lingus won't work for us!

I read online that there is a ferry from Cork to Swansea. However, I have not been able to get a response from the ferry operator regarding their schedule. I would like to take either a train or bus from Swansea to Southampton in order to make the ship on time? Any information would be helpful. :confused:

Fastnet Line, Ferry Terminal, Ringaskiddy,Cork, Ireland.

The flights with Aer Lingus won't work for us!
Why not? That's definitely going to be the best way of getting from one place to the other.
I read online that there is a ferry from Cork to Swansea. However, I have not been able to get a response from the ferry operator regarding their schedule.
Have you tried the operator's website?

Although they basically sail every other day, as it happens you're in luck because there is a sailing from Cork on Tuesday 19 July.

I think you'd have to take the train from Swansea (2 miles away from the ferry terminal) to Southampton on Wednesday morning after you arrive in Swansea. Time will be tight, and you will have very little margin for things to go wrong.

The coach simply will not get you to Southampton in time for your second cruise.

Hi Wallygator,

Overnite ferry 8.30pm tues 19th July from Cork arrives Swansea 8am Weds 20th.

http://www.fastnetline.com/schedules.html

There is no coach service Swansea-Southampton which fits your timescale.

Swansea rail station is 1.5 miles from the ferry pier, Sorry don't know whether there may be a bus transfer to the rail station that meets the ferry, but its only 5 mins by taxi.

By train Swansea to Southampton there's an hourly service, via Cardiff. Total time 3hrs 36 mins. You'll need to change trains at Cardiff to the Southampton train. Train costs around £20

I've no idea how long formalities take when disembarking the ferry, I suspect you'll not make the 8.28 train.

But if the ferry's not desperately late, the 9.28 should be easy enough. Arrives Cardiff 10.22am, Southampton train departs 10.30 & arrives Southampton 1.04 pm.

Always the small risk of not making that connection with just 8 minutes leeway, but if you miss the connection & have to spend an hour kicking your heels on Cardiff station, the 11.30 from Cardiff gets you to Southampton at 2.04 pm, which will be ok.

There's an alternative train service, also hourly, which takes a different route involving a further change & takes ten minutes longer. And costs over £70. So worthwhile only if you've just missed a direct train from Cardiff & you're running desperately late.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

By road, Southampton is

174 miles / 3 hours from Swansea.

137 miles / 2.5 hours from Cardiff.

Because the trains are pretty reliable & your most-likely foul-up is the ferry, booking in advance a private road transfer from Swansea doesn't make sense.

But there's a window of time (if the ferry docks mebbe 10.15 - noon) when the only way you'll make QM2 is by road. And a taxi to Southampton hailed at Swansea pier or Cardiff station will cost a fortune.

So best to find out last boarding time on QM2, & work out in advance your options depending on what time the ferry docks.

All the above from the internet, no personal experience.

QM2's berth is a 10 min taxi ride from Southampton central station.

To summarise:

- if your ship is late berthing at Cork, no problem.

- if the ferry is late or if you miss a train you have a degree of leeway.

- the ferry is is a traditional car ferry, less likely to be cancelled due to rough weather and less prone to mechanical problems than hi-speed craft.

Also (and I see this often with european ferries) overnite ferry schedules are deliberately slow in order to arrive at a sensible time in the morning and to give truck drivers a legally-required 11-hour break between embarkation & disembarkation. So a late departure or rough weather probably won't mean a late arrival.

But I must admit I'd want to build in a contingency in case the ferry is likely to be desperately late or doesn't sail. So to avoid biting your finger-nails down to the knuckle, best to at least check out the options by air.

Sorry, not as clear & concise as most posters.:rolleyes:

So brew a coffee & read thro' my post a time or two. ;)

John Bull :)

How about flying from Cork to Plymouth (airsouthwest.com) and then train or bus to Southampton? There is a flight at 13.55h on Tuesday 19th July

Will be more expensive (esp with 2 cruises-worth of baggage), but sounds like a much more suitable & comfortable option.:)

I think that's the way I'd choose.:)

And it still leaves the ferry as an option if there's a last-minute foul-up.:)

Well-sussed, Max :)

JB :)

Aer Lingus fly from ORK/Cork to LHR/Heathrow, LGW/Gatwick; BHX/Birmingham which all have decent connections to Southampton (via Bus, Train, Train respectively). Of the three I'd probably pick Gatwick, because there's going to be more service to LGW than BHX ...
On 19 July: 2x to BHX; 1x to LGW (in the late evening); 4x to LHR.

ORK-LHR is, as one would expect, the hands-down winner for air service.

Hello Scottbee,

I read online that there is a ferry from Cork to Swansea. However, I have not been able to get a response from the ferry operator regarding their schedule. I would like to take either a train or bus from Swansea to Southampton in order to make the ship on time? Any information would be helpful. :confused:

Obviously there are some other circumstances in your travel for the flights not to work. Can you let us know the other restrictions you may have, so we can answer your question.

If I were in your situation, here is what I would do, if I didn't want to / couldn't fly for whatever reason (I'm thinking baggage restrictions).

-Train from Cork to Dublin - 9:30-12:20

-Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead - 14:30-16:30

-Train from Holyhead to London Euston - 17:30-21:42

-Stay the night in London

-Morning train from London Waterloo to Southampton.

Is this the most direct way? No. Is this the cheapest option? Probably not.

However, this itinerary has 2 major advantages:

-You pass thru 2 major transport hubs in Dublin and London, giving you many more options if something were to go wrong along the way;

-You get to see some of the Irish/British countryside - you're crossing the Atlantic and then going right back - might as well see something while you're there!

Hello Scottbee,

FlyBE also fly DUB/Dublin-SOU/Southampton; which puts you 5 miles from the cruise terminal. Or are you completely prevented from flying?

The Cork-Swansea ferry is er, functional. I use it quite often, most recently last weekend. It travels overnight, usually leaving at around 7pm & arriving at 7am. However, there are certain times when the tidal conditions in Swansea mean it gets in later - last Friday we didn't arrive til 10am. Plus, returning on Sunday night the weather was awful & we took nearly 2 hours longer than normal to get to Cork. Their website lists the sailings affected by the tides. In the summer season it does do a day sailing as well, again check the fastnet line website.

On the upside they have reduced their prices somewhat this year, and by the time you have paid for your luggage on a flight it might work out cheaper.

It goes from Ringaskiddy, not Cobh, which is where I assume you will be getting off the first cruise ship?

Stena Line do a "sail & rail" package which would be perfect for you, except it goes from Rosslare, not Cork. There are no rail links to Rosslare (without going via Dublin), so you'd have to get the bus.

The Bus Eireann coach leaves Cork bus station at 8.40am, and arrives at Rosslare Harbour at 12.55. Costs €21.15 each.

Then Rosslare to Fishguard 15.00 - 17.00 on the Stena Express €36 each, including train to Bristol, booked via their "sail & rail" package deal. There is a later ferry if it's delayed/cancelled. Its only €18 to upgrade to the Stena plus lounge, for free drinks, snacks & a pleasant environment.

Stay overnight in Bristol - Premier Inn Bristol city centre (Haymarket) is less than a mile from Temple Meads station, but there are plenty of options.

Then 1 hour 40 mins on train to Southampton the following day, no changes.

Yes, Cork to Swansea is less hassle, and you'll have all day to explore Cork, as it doesn't leave til the evening. It's a more expensive ferry, but you won't have the cost of a hotel in the UK. From Swansea you have to change at Cardiff for Southampton.

Obviously there are some other circumstances in your travel for the flights not to work. Can you let us know the other restrictions you may have, so we can answer your question.

My traveling companion is an 83 year old man who has COPD. He is bringing along his own oxygen, which is problematic with air travel. Our thanks too everyone who took their time to offer their advice. We will be taking the ferry to Swansea and the train to Southampton. :)

Archived