UK air traffic control strike, fly/cruise

Hi

I was wondering what will happen if the 30th june strike goes ahead? I have booked fly/cruise Roman Empire from Heathrow to Rome on this date.

Any ideas what Hal will do?

Many thanks

Sue

Sue, it looks like you are flying in the same day as you sail?:eek: So I am assuming you booked through HAL.

HAL will try to get you on different flights but in light of the fact you are travelling the same day as you sail this sounds risky to me. (and there might not be any left).

If you booked your air through HAL, I would call and email them (or if you went through a TA have them talk to them) and see, if in light of the pending strike, they can do a deviation and fly you out a day early so you avoid the stress and risk.

It may mean a few $$$ and a hotel room, but you are better to ask now before it is potentially too late.

If you booked the flights yourself, call your airline and see if it can be changed and/or what they plan to do if it happens and if your flight will be affected.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Thanks for that response, yes it was booked through Hal.

As soon as the ballot results are announced today, I will ask my TA to contact Hal about flying a day early.

In this situation, are they are likely to waive the deviation fees?

Thanks again

Sue

Thanks for that response, yes it was booked through Hal.

As soon as the ballot results are announced today, I will ask my TA to contact Hal about flying a day early.

In this situation, are they are likely to waive the deviation fees?

Thanks again

Sue

Good question - I don't know if they would or not. They would if they knew there was a strike I would think, but right now it's an unknown.

Certainly your TA can ask as they ask what HAL will do and what can be done;)

I would like to think that there is some kind of contingency plan. Here in Canada, certain Air Canada employees are on strike, but they are still flying.

Have your TA check it out and do let us know how you make out. You are wise to be investigating this now;) Good luck

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Public-And-Commerical-Services-Union-PCS-Votes-To-Back-Strike-Action/Article/201106316012477?f=rss

Union have confirmed strike action will go ahead on 30th June affecting uk airports.

I have spoke to my TA today, who in turn spoke to Hal who said they have no information and will not let me fly out day early:(

Sue

Union have confirmed strike action will go ahead on 30th June affecting uk airports.
Have you got a source for positive confirmation that it will affect airports? I still can't see anything at the moment that says which sectors will be called out on strike, even though there's a good chance that they will ask everyone.

Notably, though, I see that only 18% of the union's members actually voted to strike, so we will have to see what effect it actually has.

I watched live interview on BBC by union rep announcing ballot results and he stated there would be "queues at airports and ports".

I just hope this doesnt have any significant impact on my first ever cruise:(

Sue

ok Sue, if there will be queues that means the planes will still be flying (at least it sounds that way). That's not the end of the world. (don't get me wrong, I don't like lines either but.......if the plane's still going then so are you:D) Just go early and don't let a lineup at the airport ruin your cruise.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Public-And-Commerical-Services-Union-PCS-Votes-To-Back-Strike-Action/Article/201106316012477?f=rss

I have spoke to my TA today, who in turn spoke to Hal who said they have no information and will not let me fly out day early:(

Sue

Personally I'd be putting pressure on the TA, and insisting that she/he get HAL to reschedule your flights. Every hour, if necessary :D You are the one affected, you are the one who may miss the cruise, or may lay awake every night worrying, so YOU have the most motivation to get what you NEED. Pay the deviation fees, pay for a hotel, whatever it takes. If your TA refuses, get her/his refusal in writing and then deal directly with HAL.

We were flying to a cruise the day of the cruise, many years ago. The pilots were threatening to strike. Not a happy feeling, and the airline reps were being complete MORONS about rescheduling us. My friend was in charge of getting our reservations changed. When I finally got involved, I secured us the LAST TWO SEATS AVAILABLE for the day BEFORE the strike. And this was on a route that had many, many flights every day. We got the last two seats. Get it in gear, and don't take "sorry, no" for an answer.

I watched live interview on BBC by union rep announcing ballot results and he stated there would be "queues at airports and ports".

I just hope this doesnt have any significant impact on my first ever cruise:(

Sue

There are always "queues at airports and ports". :(

I think you mean "inter-continental" and "Frankfurt"!

If all UK air traffic controllers are on strike, and there are flights that pass through British airspace, there could be a reduction in noise abatement measures. (Old joke: "Have you heard how much noise two 747s make when they hit each other?")

I would expect that any unavailability of British airspace would lead to flights being re-routed around it.

Air Canada workers are going to be ordered back to work by the government as it will effect the economy. Maybe the UK will do the same thing. (where's that darned fingers crossed icon).

Personally I'd be putting pressure on the TA, and insisting that she/he get HAL to reschedule your flights. Every hour, if necessary :D You are the one affected, you are the one who may miss the cruise, or may lay awake every night worrying, so YOU have the most motivation to get what you NEED. Pay the deviation fees, pay for a hotel, whatever it takes. If your TA refuses, get her/his refusal in writing and then deal directly with HAL.

You should be in charge of a union...We all have to get what we need.. somehow...

;););)

Archived