Glad we stopped at Tunisia

I had cancelled our shore excursion before our cruise began, because my husband has always been adamant about not going somewhere that's had "trouble". However, when I mentioned in passing that we would be on another continent, I guess he threw caution to the wind and we went on a shore excursion after all.

Don't ask me why, but seeing the Roman aquaducts was one of the highlights of our cruise, for me.

And riding a camel around the port, too. :D

Anyway, there were no problems at all, our guide was great, and I'm glad we stopped there. If you're worried, don't be.

Hi there,

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Tunisia.

We are also calling at La Goulette in August.

I just wondered which tour you booked? Was it the Sidi Bou Said and Carthage one?

If so how long did you get at each place?

We are deliberating over doing our own thing by train or booking a ship tour. Our experiences of tours has never been exceptional in the past however as we always feel they tend to be rushed. Any info you could give on yours would be great!

I also wondered if you noticed if the train station within the port area is now finished and being used?

And finally how much were you charged for your camel ride if you don't mind me asking :D - I think my teen daughter would love that!!

Thanks

Sam :)

I am SOOOO glad that ships are again calling at Tunisia---we visited there in September and took a wonderful and informative ships tour of Carthage, Sidi Bou Said, and also visited the aquaducts mentioned above and the US Cemetery. Their economy is so dependent on tourism, and I am sure that many Tunisians are hurting due to cancellations, so makes me feel good that they are "back in business". Our friends enjoyed their camel ride too, so glad they are back as well!

Can you tell us a little bit about what tour you did? I have been working hard to organize our day in Tunis, but the information on the web is not very good. I read one report of a recent ship's tour that wasn't very good and have had little response to the emails I have sent. Since you have recent experience, I would love to hear more about your trip.

Thanks,

Netta7

Our tour was the 4 hour Holland "Carthage and Sidi Bou Said" tour. Our tour guide was very informative and loud enough for everyone to hear. I felt we had plenty of time at both locations, but I'm not a shopper at all, so can't guarantee shopaholics would have enough time at Sidi Bou Said. There were guys with birds of prey at both the port and Sidi Bou Said for pictures - they guys at SBS were a little pushy, but hey - it's only money, right? And my husband was thrilled.

We saw the aqueducts on the way back to the ship - we passed the US Cemetery but did not tour it. We did stop for pictures at the aqueducts and several other spots on the way back.

The camels are right at the port (only, didn't see them elsewhere) and they were just 5 Euro a ride. TOTALLY worth it.

Our tour was the 4 hour Holland "Carthage and Sidi Bou Said" tour. Our tour guide was very informative and loud enough for everyone to hear. I felt we had plenty of time at both locations, but I'm not a shopper at all, so can't guarantee shopaholics would have enough time at Sidi Bou Said. There were guys with birds of prey at both the port and Sidi Bou Said for pictures - they guys at SBS were a little pushy, but hey - it's only money, right? And my husband was thrilled.

We saw the aqueducts on the way back to the ship - we passed the US Cemetery but did not tour it. We did stop for pictures at the aqueducts and several other spots on the way back.

The camels are right at the port (only, didn't see them elsewhere) and they were just 5 Euro a ride. TOTALLY worth it.

Hiya,

Thanks very much for the info, very much appreciated.

I really hope the camels are there when we are in port, such a great price and daughter will be absolutely thrilled if she can ride one :D

I've been on one in Egypt, felt a little seasick! :rolleyes:

Can I just ask, was the time divided more or less equal at Carthage and Sidi, or was one visit longer than the other?

Many thanks,

We were also glad to visit Tunisia on May 19. The ms Noordam was welcomed by camels, musicians, and a dancer, our only port welcome of the cruise.

We enjoyed the 8-hour HAL "Best of Tunisia" tour. Our guide made sure that we appreciated his Berber culture, which is not Arab. The atmosphere was peaceful and casual, even though there were soldiers and barbed wire around the previous leader's headquarters. Friendly people returned my smiles and welcomed us. Also, previous restrictions on photographing government buildings, etc. were history. I could photograph anything within reason.

We saw a lot at the Bardo Museum. I did not mind spending time in the carpet store, because we also had time to shop in the Souk.

Lunch near Carthage was nice. Sidi Bou Said was not only beautiful, but full of more shopping. I delighted in the sights and in their culture.

Our guide ended up thanking us for being brave enough to come visit his country -- after six months of unemployment there.

Although we felt safe, I would not have wanted to do Tunis on my own. It was a long distance from port in a far different culture. Our HAL travel guide Christina had given us lots of good tips, neither encouraging nor discouraging venturing out on our own.

Pay attention to current advice, because Tunisia is in the middle of change.

The nice surprise that we did not have time to explore was the cruise terminal's village of shopping stalls, complete with the camels.

You have a lot to look forward to at La Goulette, Tunisia.

Barbara

Our Sidi Bou Said and Carthage tour last year also did not have time at the end when you returned to the ship for shopping in the little area of shops right by the ship, or for riding the camels. If your daughter has her heart set on riding the camels, then I would make sure that you will have enough time if you also want to take a tour.

Our Sidi Bou Said and Carthage tour last year also did not have time at the end when you returned to the ship for shopping in the little area of shops right by the ship, or for riding the camels. If your daughter has her heart set on riding the camels, then I would make sure that you will have enough time if you also want to take a tour.

We are 'supposed' to be in port from 7am to 6pm and the Carthage and Sidi Bou Said tour is scheduled to leave at 9.15 am for 4 hours so if all goes to plan that should give plenty of time for a camel ride and to browse the port shops i think?

We are still debating if to do it ourselves and not a tour, waiting to see if anyone has reports of catching the train within the port rather than having to go out of the port and negotiate past the taxi drivers! (Though i'm sure we would manage that fine also).

Really excited about Tunisia after hearing so many lovely reports. Daughter is especially excited after reading about the great welcomes the ships have been receiving on arrival, dancers, music, camels etc. I think Tunisia may well be a highlight of the whole cruise :)

Thanks again for the info.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sam,

Just reading through this thread and wondering if you managed to catch the train after all? If so, where did you go on it and what were your thoughts about timing?

Was it easy to change money to catch the train?

Thanks!

We are 'supposed' to be in port from 7am to 6pm and the Carthage and Sidi Bou Said tour is scheduled to leave at 9.15 am for 4 hours so if all goes to plan that should give plenty of time for a camel ride and to browse the port shops i think?

We are still debating if to do it ourselves and not a tour, waiting to see if anyone has reports of catching the train within the port rather than having to go out of the port and negotiate past the taxi drivers! (Though i'm sure we would manage that fine also).

Really excited about Tunisia after hearing so many lovely reports. Daughter is especially excited after reading about the great welcomes the ships have been receiving on arrival, dancers, music, camels etc. I think Tunisia may well be a highlight of the whole cruise :)

Thanks again for the info.

Hi Sam

I did that HAL Carthage/SBS tour and made these :

Carthage

Sidi Bou Said

and there were plenty of camels by the ship when we same back around lunchtime. And a fair few shops in the port too. And you will go to a souvenir shop in the tour as well.

Have a great time, Tony

NAPLES

• 1 year later...
We were also glad to visit Tunisia on May 19. The ms Noordam was welcomed by camels, musicians, and a dancer, our only port welcome of the cruise.

We enjoyed the 8-hour HAL "Best of Tunisia" tour. Our guide made sure that we appreciated his Berber culture, which is not Arab. The atmosphere was peaceful and casual, even though there were soldiers and barbed wire around the previous leader's headquarters. Friendly people returned my smiles and welcomed us. Also, previous restrictions on photographing government buildings, etc. were history. I could photograph anything within reason.

We saw a lot at the Bardo Museum. I did not mind spending time in the carpet store, because we also had time to shop in the Souk.

Lunch near Carthage was nice. Sidi Bou Said was not only beautiful, but full of more shopping. I delighted in the sights and in their culture.

Our guide ended up thanking us for being brave enough to come visit his country -- after six months of unemployment there.

Although we felt safe, I would not have wanted to do Tunis on my own. It was a long distance from port in a far different culture. Our HAL travel guide Christina had given us lots of good tips, neither encouraging nor discouraging venturing out on our own.

Pay attention to current advice, because Tunisia is in the middle of change.

The nice surprise that we did not have time to explore was the cruise terminal's village of shopping stalls, complete with the camels.

You have a lot to look forward to at La Goulette, Tunisia.

Barbara

Hi I am going on the Noordam May 7th to Tunis. Are there any snakes in the markets like in Morocco? I am also thinking of the best of Tunisia tour but do not want to encounter snakes

We have managed to explore (on our own) Tunis, Gabes and Sousse on our 2 visits to Tunesia and found the country quite interesting. For those looking for a little adventure and something a bit different then the norm, we think Tunesia is fascinating. On the other hand, for those that are more comfortable in typical western places, Tunesia might be a bit of a shock.

Hank

Hi I am going on the Noordam May 7th to Tunis. Are there any snakes in the markets like in Morocco? I am also thinking of the best of Tunisia tour but do not want to encounter snakes

I do not recall seeing any snakes in the souk at Tunis. But I didn't spend a lot of time looking around (shopping isn't my thing, and the souk there isn't really that 'interesting' in terms of architecture or photo ops.

If you are really worried about it, surely there are other tours offered for Tunis that you could take?

This snake thing got me thinking (remember Indian Jones and "I hate snakes"). So my advice to Kitty is just change your entire planning and go to Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, or New Zealand were there are no snakes! Your post reminds me of one we had last year where a lady did not want to go anywhere that had stray dogs (she was afraid of dogs) and somebody advised her to just stay inside her home. I did take a look and noticed that Canada has 35 varieties of snakes. As to Tunesia, I guess I am more fearful of the spiders then the snakes :)

Hank

We have been to Tunisia many times on land holidays and travelled widely.

Never seen any snakes - the only ones I have seen in Morrocco were in the square in Marakesh and used to get money from tourists - they were not going to let them go anywhere!