SS Canberra 1972/Oriana 2012

marconi

Hi to all cruisers,

I have booked a world sector voyage on the Oriana for february 2012, and after having read quite a few reviews I would like to know if the experience is similair as on the old Canberra, as far as excitement and service, as I remember in tourist class way back in 1972 I really did have a great time and the food was pretty good in saying that I was only 20.

This will be my first liner sort of voyage since 1977 and I am looking forward to the sea days just as much as the rest of the cruise.

I have cruised on many occasions on 14 day cruises in and around the pacific, but promised my DW to do a longer cruise, so it is now a reality.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Frank.

How exciting for you. All I can say is that Canberra passengers were widely consulted when Oriana was built so she should be as close as you can get to Canberra today!

Congrats, Oriana is going across Pacific right? A regular on CC - Bazzaw (Barry) did Oriana out from Sydney to Southampton - via Suez, earlier this year, if you look up his blogs via CC, you can read all about his thoughts on Oriana. He returned on Arcadia.

We have booked Arcadia - Sydney to Southampton (via Asia - Indian Ocean - Africa) , embark 9 March 2012.

Yes what an advenure we both have, plenty of ports, plenty of sea days.

Above all ENJOY, you earnt it.

Hi NSWP

Yes I did read up on Bazzaw's blog and thouroughly enjoyed it, but I am trying to find out if any cruisers have cruised on the Canberra as well as the Oriana.

This cruise is going to bring back many memories, but alas I am not 20 any more, but it will still be a great experience for us.

Regards Frank.

Hi Marconi, I cruised on the beautiful Canberra on a round trip to South America and have sailed on the new Oriana 3 times with a fourth one coming up in July next year. I was a teenager back then loved the whole cruising experience and I would say sailing on the newer breed of liners is an even better experience. We prefer the smaller ships which are more like the Canberra in size and I am sure you will love it. Very jealous ..... :)

We cruised on Oriana 1995 when Canberra was being fazed out.. Many regular Canberra folk hated Oriana and others loved her... could be a marmite ship either love or hate!!!

I feel sure you will love Oriana... as said before the regulars were asked about what they liked etc about Canberra when she was designed.. lots of teak decking.. lots of open space... and their favorite Crows Nest Bar....

Frank, I cruised Oriana world leg Southampton to Sanfrancisco 2010 i cruised Celebrity Eclipse also 2010. comparing the two food and service and hygiene is better on the Eclipse but that did not stop my enjoyment on the Oriana have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...
Hi to all cruisers,

I have booked a world sector voyage on the Oriana for february 2012, and after having read quite a few reviews I would like to know if the experience is similair as on the old Canberra, as far as excitement and service, as I remember in tourist class way back in 1972 I really did have a great time and the food was pretty good in saying that I was only 20.

This will be my first liner sort of voyage since 1977 and I am looking forward to the sea days just as much as the rest of the cruise.

I have cruised on many occasions on 14 day cruises in and around the pacific, but promised my DW to do a longer cruise, so it is now a reality.

Regards Frank.

Hi Marconi, we sailed out of Hongkong on Canberra in 1971. Now we will cruise out of Hongkong in February 2012 on Arcadia. In between we have done around eight cruises, mostly since 2000, with several lines but this is the first recent one with P & O UK. Returned in March after a world cruise segment on the new Quuen Elizabeth, very nice, but our all-time favourite is to cruise with HAL, especially the Rotterdam. Let me know which segment of the 2012 cruise you are doing. Looking forward to it.

hi to all cruisers,

i have booked a world sector voyage on the oriana for february 2012, and after having read quite a few reviews i would like to know if the experience is similair as on the old canberra, as far as excitement and service, as i remember in tourist class way back in 1972 i really did have a great time and the food was pretty good in saying that i was only 20.

This will be my first liner sort of voyage since 1977 and i am looking forward to the sea days just as much as the rest of the cruise.

I have cruised on many occasions on 14 day cruises in and around the pacific, but promised my dw to do a longer cruise, so it is now a reality.

Regards frank.

Hi Marconi, we sailed out of Hongkong on Canberra in 1971. Now we will cruise out of Hongkong in February 2012 on Arcadia. In between we have done around eight cruises, mostly since 2000, with several lines but this is the first recent one with P & O UK. Returned in March after a world cruise segment on the new Quuen Elizabeth, very nice, but our all-time favourite is to cruise with HAL, especially the Rotterdam. Let me know which segment of the 2012 cruise you are doing. Looking forward to it.

Hi Krisflyer1

We will be doing the two world sectors Sydney - San Francisco and then San Francisco- Southampton.

I too have cruised Volendam twice and thouroughly enjoyed the HAL service and hospitality but this cruise is so that I can sort of remember the Panama Canal cruise I did in 1972 on the Guglielmo Marconi Fremantle to Genoa.

Thanks for all response to my query to all.

Regards Frank.

Archived