Best W. Caribbean Excursions w/ 8 & 10 y.o.

fonrouge82

We are sailing on Carnival's Legend on July 2 with our 8 and 10 year old sons for the first time. Can anyone recommend one reasonably priced shore excursion (preferably not more than 75.00/pp) in either Grand Cayman, Roatan, or Belize? I would really like to do a dolphin adventure but they seem very, very expensive. Any thoughts?

TIA! ;)

My 8 and ten year old loved snorkeling excursions... but we set up swim lessons ahead of time and even had them practice in their snorkel gear in the pool. The trainer made them learn to readjust the mask and dive down then clear out the snorkel on the surface while in the pool.

We've been to all those places but only to Grand Cayman with kids, who were younger than yours.

First of all, with kids, the beach is almost always a good bet, and easy. A lot of kids don't really appreciate or like long bus rides or sightseeing type tours, so unless yours are unusually patient/interested in sights, I'd limit those tours. For instance, we love to tour some of the ruins; I'd only do that with older or really interested kids.

You also need to know your kids and how adventurous they are. Are they athletic and agile or more laid back? Ready to try new things or shy and hesitant? Easily scared or daredevils?

Grand Cayman: We took much younger kids (ages 3, 4, 5 & 5) on an independent tour that took us to a couple of snorkeling spots and visited the sting rays. They adored the boat ride, tried but didn't do the snokeling (the water was a little choppy), liked watching the sting rays but only one was brave enough to get in the water with them.

Grand Cayman has 7-mile beach which is great and a turtle farm (kind of lame, for me).

Roatan: We did a private tour that drove around the island, went to see an iguana sanctuary, zip-lined and went to the beach. Adventurous kids would love the zip line.

Belize: we took an independent tour that took us to the river for underground tubing. There was a fairly easy walk to the river and the tubing, when we were there, was mild--but we had great guides and a small group. The ship tour that was entering the water at the same time as us was chaotic and dangerous--they actually threw a baby to her dad as he started down the river!

I've watched but never done dolphin swims; it looks neat but would be so expensive for four. Also be sure kids that young are allowed and that they wouldn't be freaked out. I wouldn't do this unless this is the one thing they have wanted to do for years and it will break their heart if they don't.

We've taken grandkids on two cruises--we took 7 just this past winter--and frankly kids don't care as much about the tours as adults do--they are just happy to be at a beach.

We have done the Western Caribbean the last 2 years with DD8 and DS10.

For Grand Cayman we did a stingray tour with Stingray sailing which sails on a catamaran and goes to stingray city and then to a snorkeling spot. DS had a good time with the stingrays but DD was scared. They both loved spending time on the sailboat. I think the cost was $45 adult / $35 child.

For Belize, we booked a cave tubing tour with cavetubing.bz. I think the cost was around $45 adult / $35 child also. We didnt make it cave tubing because the water was too high and the caves were closed but we ended up going to the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha which was a lot of fun. The staff at cavetubing.bz was great and really made sure we had a good time even though we couldnt go tubing.

For Roatan we went with Victor Bodden tours the first time we were there which I think was $100 for the 4 of us plus extra for ziplining and seeing the monkeys. The second time we went we stayed at the beach at Mahogany Bay and it probably was one of our kids favorite days.

We are sailing on Carnival's Legend on July 2 with our 8 and 10 year old sons for the first time. Can anyone recommend one reasonably priced shore excursion (preferably not more than 75.00/pp) in either Grand Cayman, Roatan, or Belize? I would really like to do a dolphin adventure but they seem very, very expensive. Any thoughts?

TIA! ;)

MY vote for Grand Cayman would be Sting Ray city, head over to the Grand Cayman board for some great suggestions on tour operators (I would not go through Carnival).

or you could go to Dolphindiscovery.com and book the dolphin lovers swim. You get a discount for booking online 2 adults and 2 children average out to $80/ea. This also include free entrance into the turtle farm directly across the street. A taxi will cost you around $15-20 or take the public bus (very safe) for just a few bucks.

In Roatan we did the Gumbalimba park. It was really cool and they have a beach to use after you are done if you aren't ready to go back immediately. They have buses running to the cruise terminals non-stop, you just hop on whenever you are ready to leave.

In Belize check out Coralbreezetours.com we did the shark/ray alley tour and LOVED it!!!!! My wife and I loved Belize so much we are going to take a land vacation there (childless). Coral Breeze was awesome to work with and they leave for their excursions right where the tenders drop you off in Belize.

Archived