Suite category help needed!!

ttoad

We have taken several cruises on other lines, but are new to HAL. We are confused about all the different categories of suites. We are considering a Superior Verandah Suite on Eurodam to the Eastern Caribbean in December of this year.

What do all the different categories mean?? SS, SY, SZ?? What's the difference.

What is the difference in the Superior vs the Deluxe Verandah Suites? Then, again, what is the difference in the categories for the Deluxe? SA, SB, SC??

:confused:

Thanks for your help!!

We have taken several cruises on other lines, but are new to HAL. We are confused about all the different categories of suites. We are considering a Superior Verandah Suite on Eurodam to the Eastern Caribbean in December of this year.

What do all the different categories mean?? SS, SY, SZ?? What's the difference.

What is the difference in the Superior vs the Deluxe Verandah Suites? Then, again, what is the difference in the categories for the Deluxe? SA, SB, SC??

:confused:

Thanks for your help!!

When you choose a Superior Suite, and you select from SS, SY, SZ, the only difference is location. With the Deluxe Suites (SA, SB, SC) there are size differences as well as location differences ... bigger balconies on the aft-corners, etc. All Deluxe Suites are larger than Superiors.

The differences between Superior and Deluxe Suites are many:

SUPERIOR SUITES:

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 1 person, floor-to-ceiling windows. Approximately 273–456 sq. ft. including verandah.

Include all the stateroom amenities, plus:

A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows

No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining

Personalized cruise stationery

Oversized bath towels

One-touch telephone concierge service

Fresh flowers

Complimentary DVD library

DELUXE SUITES:

2 lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, floor-to-ceiling windows. Approximately 506–590 sq. ft. including verandah.

Deluxe Suite amenities include:

Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

Cocktail party with ship officers

Priority boarding for tender ports of call

Special disembarkation service

Priority dining and seating requests

Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

High tea service in suite on request

A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Joanie's site ... a "STICKY" at the top of the HAL page has photos of the different cabins and categories for each HAL ship.:)

Cheers!

sigh.......... So sorry.

I must have missed the indication in the signature that would have indicated gender.

Anymore than my signature indicates.

Please excuse my error.

oh my heavens! - the names on cruise critic are usually not gender specific so how is anyone to know?

Probably S7S does.

In any case for the op - the differences are well outlined. the big difference with the deluxe verandah (PS,SA,Sb,SC or S on some ships) is simply much more real estate, a live concierge (versus a phone concierge), the Neptune Louunge and a few perks - like PG for breakfast (or on some ships a different locale like the Kings/Queens' lounge). Only deluxe verandahs have access to the Neptune Lounge.

The added real estate in these rooms is very nice on a lot of sea days (or any day) but on a lot of sea days it really pays off.

Real estate on a ship can be nice. It's up to you whether you want it or not. The superior verandahs (SY, SS) are very nice - you just don't get some of the perks that go with the deluxe verandah - the cabins are smaller but still a nice size;)

We are looking at a Superior Verandah Suite, category SZ?? Couldn't find pics of these specific cabins on Joanie's site, although there is a ton of great pics there.

We were just curious about what exactly the differences are and why the prices are different within the same category...I understand location has a lot to do with it. We LOVE our balcony and spend a lot of time out there on sea days and in the evenings. :)

In my opinion (and especially on the Eurodam), the differences between SA, SB, and SC is primarily the distance from the Neptune Lounge. There can be a bit of a difference in cabin size (some of the aft suites are smaller but have larger verandas) but basically they are quite similar.

We are looking at a Superior Verandah Suite, category SZ?? Couldn't find pics of these specific cabins on Joanie's site, although there is a ton of great pics there.

:)

If you look at a SZ or SY, they will be virtually identical.

Overrated in my humble opinion. The Neptune lounge is a windowless (except to the hallway) room offering some amenities and a few bites to eat that are easily obtained elsewhere with a much nicer view. I wouldn't spend much time sitting in the lounge.

igraf

....A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Joanie's site ... a "STICKY" at the top of the HAL page has photos of the different cabins and categories for each HAL ship.:)

Cheers!

We were just curious about what exactly the differences are and why the prices are different within the same category...I understand location has a lot to do with it. We LOVE our balcony and spend a lot of time out there on sea days and in the evenings. :)

I was told the other day by a HAL PVP that the SZ cat. is a price leader for some cruises. She also told me that there are only 2 SZ cabins on the Zuiderdam and on our cruise it's not even listed on the price of different categories. Hope this helps/

Glenn :D

We were on the Oosterdam last week for the Alaska cruise. Prior to sailing, HAL offered an upsell from a veranda cabin to a deluxe suite for $498 and it was worth the money as there were three of us. The space was great as was the Neptune lounge. We had breakfast there most days and spent a lot of time just hanging out, snacking and meeting others.

igraf was not impressed with the Neptune Lounge, but I know people who specifically select a cabin to be near it. This is where personal preference comes in.

We don't tend to hang out at the lounge, but it is nicer to speak to the concierge in person, rather than just on the phone. We also like going with the Deluxe suite because of the complimentary laundry! On a long cruise, we do use it. And the concierge makes things happen! Can't get into a cooking class or an excursion? - suddenly there's room. Want special items for dinner? - they have the chef talk to you. Don't want to call room service yourself? - no problem, they are happy to help. (I did see the chef come into the lounge to talk to a woman who wanted specific dishes for dinner. I have no idea what they worked out, but the fact that he left the kitchen for a suite passenger made a huge impression on me.)

The lounge has some kind of food almost all day - breakfast pastries in the morning, appetizers later in the day, cookies in the afternoon. Coffee and tea available all the time also. It is much more comfortable to snack there than on the Lido deck.

On Prinsendam, the cost difference between the Superior Suites and the Deluxe Suites is much higher than on the other ships. We stayed in a Superior suite on that ship, and the cabin was extremely well laid out. But everything on Prinsendam is that way. We were able to get good service from the concierge when needed, but since we never met her, I never felt comfortable calling her unless we had a problem.

Archived