Is this safe? or Against policy?

Ask John Walsh if he regrets that his wife left his son alone for 7 minutes....

There's logic and reason.........

Using a one-in-a-million occurrence as an argument isn't logical or reasonable.

Possibility and probability are two very different things.

but you didn't say it was HIS car in the first post...you said the mother drove him....which of course was not the complete situation...

If you had posted what you just posted above...then what you were trying to get at would have been clearer......

In your post you leave the door open to many questions...such as the one's I posed....

Clarity can be a good friend when posting on any message board

If you would have just calmed down and stopped after your question about transportation instead of going of on a tangent about child rearing.....it would have been clear as a bell;)

This is not directed at anyone...but just a general observation....

People are so concerned about "the dress code", the calypso band, the location of their cabin...etc....

Yet...so casual as to leave their most precious procession (their child) under the care of someone (young, weird, drunk etc)............just so they can "do their thing"!

99.9% of the time nothing bad happens...but is it worth the risk to be that .1%?

Hindsight....always 20/20

:confused: amazing how it went from 12 year old watching his 2 year old sleeping brother for a couple hours while mom and dad were justs a few decks away......

:confused: amazing how it went from 12 year old watching his 2 year old sleeping brother for a couple hours while mom and dad were justs a few decks away......

Oh well, it's kept me entertained for 2 days although I've went through a 12 pack box of popcorn.

TabbyKats..you are using logic and reason...I have tried that here as well...but all it does is give them more ammunition to flame....

People like us know we are doing the right thing and don't need the advice of strangers...

LOL! For someone with alot of confidence.... why all the need for reassurance:confused: If you feel your kids were not mature enough to babysit at 12 that's a okay......don't sweat the small stuff:D

Oh well, it's kept me entertained for 2 days although I've went through a 12 pack box of popcorn.

On that note I think I will go hang out by the pool and work on an ice chest full of beer:D It looks like I won't be getting the "Parent of the month award" anytime soon:p

Afterall I did everything wrong.....he babysat at 12, and we bought him his first car at 16. It just must have been luck that he turned out so responsible and successful......

On that note I think I will go hang out by the pool and work on an ice chest full of beer:D It looks like I won't be getting the "Parent of the month award" anytime soon:p

lol sounds like fun. I just got a call "Do we have any beer in the fridge?" LOL I guess we will be doing the same thing minus the pool.

I read a review and the following was posted ...

we put DD to bed (who is 2) and give DS (who 12) the walkie talkie. even if she woke up she was in a crib and would start yelling bubba. so even if she did manage to get out of the crib, she wouldn't be able to open the door to the cabin. they are spring loaded and her big brother would get to her first. he would call us at every sound. we just told him if she wasn't awake not to worry about it. we all make sounds when we sleep.

we would never just leave her in the room by herself. if we didn't have him (DS)we would probably just hang on our balcony some and also use the baby sitting service camp carnival provides after 10pm they charge you.

Mind you this family was booked in a ocean view suite w/ balcony.

I personally would never leave a 12 yr old alone with a 2 yr old in stateroom, but that is me. But what about a stateroom with a balcony?

Thoughts....

Policy....

I don't see a problem with the 12 year old watching the 2 year old. I would be hesitant to have kids under twelve in a balcony room with me not there. :)

sorry, but in an emergency on a ship, where lights could go out, and halls be smoke filled, and the nearest "exit" is no where close to the door. does the 12 year old know to stay in the room, or leave, and go where?

Sorry if this is a double post. I believe that the crew and fellow passengers would get them to safety in such an emergency that is not likely to happen but admittedly could.

Sorry if this is a double post. I believe that the crew and fellow passengers would get them to safety in such an emergency that is not likely to happen but admittedly could.

the crew couldn't even find the people hiding from muster. they have never found my sleeping wife.

fellow passengers? yeah, ok.

On our recent cruise my dh and ds were out on the balcony when they heard a man on a balcony above them shouting. Turns out the man's 2 year old son locked the balcony door after he went outside and he was stranded. We had to call customer relations to get up to his room and save him. What if the 2 yo locks the 12yo out on the balcony? At night when there aren't that many people out on their balconies to hear anything...

On our recent cruise my dh and ds were out on the balcony when they heard a man on a balcony above them shouting. Turns out the man's 2 year old son locked the balcony door after he went outside and he was stranded. We had to call customer relations to get up to his room and save him. What if the 2 yo locks the 12yo out on the balcony? At night when there aren't that many people out on their balconies to hear anything...

technically the 12 year old should know the balcony is off limits, it wasn't off limits for the dad.

On a similar subject, I stepped out on the porch one day and my 2 year old locked me out. Her dad had to leave work and drive 30 minutes home to rescue me lol. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

And what if happens to a grown adult? Or even worse, your frail 75 year old grandmother? If anyone (young or old) is locked out on the balcony, the situation wouldn't change.

Stuff happens - you can't over protect your child to the point that they can't ever leave your sight. Trust me! I'm a child of an extremely over protective parent. It doesn't work. When you're a child of that type of parent, when you turn 18 years old, you're lost. You're supposed to be a responsibile adult, but because your parents coddled you so long, you're really not ready.

Thanks Moms and Dads who are like that!!!!

the lock - sliding bolt is 6 feet up at the top of the door - so 2 year old would have difficulty locking it - plus it is stiff to push. So unless they have a different way of locking then it is impossible. Most ships I have been on there have been fail safe methods involved - like locking a bathroom door from the outside (now it is almost impossible as newer doors will pop open the lock as soon as the latch hits the striker plate).

Musta been an awfully tall 2 year old:p

It depends on the 12 year old. Some are quite capable of babysitting a sleeping 2 year old. Especially if it is their own sibling they are used to watching at home.

Exactly. 12 years of age is the age that it is legal to babysit or care for younger siblings (at least in my state). I was babysitting for pay on a regular basis at age 12.

Archived