Victoria BC on Golden

flashdog_1

Please tell me how far "town" is from the pier. I see there is an "excursion" which is just transportation 25 minutes to and from "town" for I think $8.50 each round trip. Is this not a walkable distance (in the night yet), or can you not take a cab for $8.50 each way? Don't know if the advantage is that this transportation would be shuttling people back and forth when you might not be able to hail a taxi to get back to the ship on time.

We were originally signed up for the pub tour but it doesn't end until 11:30 and we think we'll be tired before that, and have to finish up last night packing etc. so thought we'd just hoof it ourselves if feasible. Please advise. We leave in 2 weeks.Thanks

We walked into town - there are a couple of different routes you can take including one along the waterfront which takes a bit longer but is quite pretty - very pleasant stroll on a nice evening - you can get a map as you get off the boat.

We walked it with no problem. Once we got to the Waterfront Walk we took that into town and then walked around that area and circled back through the residential streets. We stopped often for pictures and we were there probably two hours. If you are in half way decent shape physically you should have no problem walking from the ship to down town and back.

Yes, you can walk and we saw lots of folks doing that, but it is a ways to get to downtown. The $8.50 you saw is probably a cab because that's the fare from the pier to downtown; they drop you off in front of the Empress Hotel. That's what we did; to get four people downtown quickly, you can't beat $8.50 (not including tip). There are lots of cabs going back to the pier, also on the street in front of the Empress, so no problem catching one back.

By the way, if anyone is interested, there are also pedi-cabs at the pier -- the bicycle-pedaled little carriages for two or four people. We asked one of the guys about his trip: he had a small notebook with color photos in it to show you where he went. He had a couple of tours, one for about two hours and one for 2 1/2, for $60-70 per person. That was more time and more money than we wanted to spend, but it would be a fun way to see a lot of the town.

There are also lots of town cars and "classic" cars (an old London cab; a 1960's model Cadillac, etc.) with drivers for hire, right there at the pier.

Oh, I just saw this in your post: taking a cab is nowhere near 25 minutes to get to downtown -- more like 4 minutes. The 25 minutes would be about right for walking it, I would think.

It's about a 25 - 30 minute walk to town and a short 5 minute ride. We took the shuttle, but if we had to do it again, I would take the taxi. The taxi is not any more expensive and you don't have to wait in line or wait for the shuttle to fill up.

The easiest place to catch a taxi back to the pier is right in front of the Empress Hotel. You can't miss it.

Isn't Cruise Critic a wonderful institution? Thank you all for your information and advice. I think if it's not raining we'll walk it and take a cab back when we're ready. If it's raining we'll take a cab both ways. Again, thank you so much for sharing.

BTW it is a tender port, or no? or a real dock?

Please tell me how far "town" is from the pier. I see there is an "excursion" which is just transportation 25 minutes to and from "town" for I think $8.50 each round trip. Is this not a walkable distance (in the night yet), or can you not take a cab for $8.50 each way? Don't know if the advantage is that this transportation would be shuttling people back and forth when you might not be able to hail a taxi to get back to the ship on time.

We were originally signed up for the pub tour but it doesn't end until 11:30 and we think we'll be tired before that, and have to finish up last night packing etc. so thought we'd just hoof it ourselves if feasible. Please advise. We leave in 2 weeks.Thanks

I see your ship offers a Butchart Gardens tour. That is an excellent option for any Victoria stop. I've only visited during day time. It should be even more magnificent lit up in the evening.

It certainly beats the heck out of "walking around town".:D

http://www.princess.com/find/shorexDetails.do?portid=YYJ&voyageCode=5119&bID=PCPB&exType=S#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butchart_Gardens

Since there are 4 of us who want to go to the Gardens. We're thinking it would be a lot more economical to take a cab. Our ship is there from 7pm to midnight. Understand the Gardens close at 10 (or maybe a little later since there will be a lot of cruise passengers there). Do you think we'll have any trouble getting a cab at closing time? We did contact a cab company but they weren't interested in reserving a cab for us. Told us there would be plenty of cabs at the pier, which is fine. It's the return I'm a little concerned about.

Anyone have any recommendations?? The ship's tour for four people is over $300.

Yes there are plenty of cabs at the pier but NOT sitting out at Butchart's waiting for fares. If you called one when you were ready to leave, it could take quite awhile for it to arrive. With limited time in port, always take the ship's tour to the Gardens.

I took the bus that I purchased tickets from ship. I didnt feel that the line was long (as least when I went), but going back the line was long. Going back was a mix of all ships ( I remember Norweign Cruise line people being on the line/bus b/c they were bitching the whole time on line about their cruise LOL)

We originally booked the pub tour. Different from most pub tours where you stay on one or two streets, this one drove you to different places, so I figured we'd be seeing some of the town as we drove. BUT it doesn't end until 11:30 which is all aboard!

So I canceled that one and booked the double decker London style red bus which lasts only an hour, and we will be able to get a good night's sleep, hopefully since it's over at 8:45.

With anytime dining can I make my reservation for say 6 p.m. on the morning we arrive in Victoria, or better yet, the day before? Never having done this reservation for anytime I am clueless. I've done Norwegian's freestyle where you just show up and they seat you.

I know we can go to the buffet or the International Cafe after we get back, too.

Thanks for your help.

If anyone has taken the bus tour, let me know your opinion about it. Thanks

We met a nice cab driver at the pier. He took the three of us to the gardens and gave us his card and said to call him when we wanted to return to the ship. He was there in 15 minutes. Cost %100.00 round trip.

We met a nice cab driver at the pier. He took the three of us to the gardens and gave us his card and said to call him when we wanted to return to the ship. He was there in 15 minutes. Cost %100.00 round trip.

And what is the entrance fee, please? Did you pay him only after the second leg of your round trip?

So I canceled that one and booked the double decker London style red bus which lasts only an hour, and we will be able to get a good night's sleep, hopefully since it's over at 8:45.

We did the double decker bus last year. Unfortunately, it had been raining most of the day and was very foggy. The windows on the bus kept fogging up and pretty much nobody would open their windows to clear them! We made due with a few napkins I had in my purse, but the pictures didn't come out very well.

The bus driver made the best of it - lots of jokes about "if you could see to the right, you'd see this". He was totally cracking me up...but I think a lot of the people weren't "getting" his jokes. Either that, or I have a twisted sense of humor. :D

Overall, it was a bit of a disappointment, due to the weather and steamed up windows. I would do this tour again if the weather was clear.

once when he let us off and again after returning to the ship.

as far as the entrance fees of the realm Adults ;$32.48 Childresn $16.24

Its a great place, I took some fantastic photos.

There is also a very nice restaurant that you can make Lunch reservations at but it is very expensive. Perhaps the Tea would be a better deal. I had lunch in the restaurant. the view is great , the food selection is limited but good.

http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

1408502210_Coastalcruis2011045.jpg.16c017b8d7256fb43a0ceb425b4047db.jpg

1788017799_Coastalcruis2011051.jpg.5d0e7e16312115d7851b3fa34b7b121e.jpg

465297570_Coastalcruis2011049.jpg.93b07b5d25341e81c25a0e0bc7443ce9.jpg

1435954690_Coastalcruis2011023.jpg.e6a588c2e951295bdd16abbdf731a0bd.jpg

503424427_Coastalcruis2011036.jpg.fc64c7e3d427ff08bb23d13f09976d12.jpg

The walk into town is abouot 20-30 minutes and should you tire, there are hundreds of taxis around for the return trip. A flat and safe walk through a residential area.

Just a cautionary note on returning to the ships from Butchart Gardens. I work in the marine industry near the pier, and know that on Monday Sea Princess sailed without 8 passengers and on Saturday Norwegian Pearl and Sapphire left without 6. All of them had gone to the Butcharts by taxi and could not find one for the return. They waited for a very long time, and once at the pier found the ships gone!! Passports and medicine on the ship, limited cash, in a foreign country, and on an island with limited flights out. Now that does pose a problem and noone to help. It does not happen every day, but more often than you would think.

What might work, is arrange to pay the driver for the whole evening on returning to the ship, but that would have to be arranged prior to leaving the dock, as most cabs do not lay over at the Butcharts but rather head right back into the city for the easy money running from the Empress Hotel to the pier, over and over and over. They can make more $$$ doing these constant short 5 minute trips than waiting at the Burcharts for 1-2 hours. The safest, a shore tour, as the ship waits for their tours should problems develop. The cruise shuttle company also has a working relationship with the cruise lines. You spent good money to go on vacation, don't ruin the holiday for the sake of a few dollars!!

Archived