Which side of ship for full transit canal (LA to FLL)?

Infi

Just booked a full transit Panama Canal cruise for this Christmas, LA to FLL. We had a port side balcony on the Island last Christmas and loved it. We got to see both sides of the canal on the way in and out of the Gatun locks. I chose a starboard balcony for this cruise, but am now having my doubts if it was the right choice.

Considering we're going from west to east, I'm wondering which side of the ship is best, both for sailing and the canal. I know which side of the locks the ship is in depends on scheduling. I was thinking that considering the direction the ship is going, the starboard side might be more likely to face land as opposed to the other locks. I enjoyed our experience last time because we got to see both sides of the locks from our balcony as we entered and exited, so I'm aiming for something similar this time.

I'll try not to worry about it too much, considering there will be three chances to view the locks. But, I'd like some input from those who have done the full transit.

Starboard. No matter which locks you enter, the action and thus viewing will be on the starboard side as you go through the locks from LA to FLL. The lock viewing platforms on land and the control booths are on that side. It would be port side if you're going FLL to LA or Acapulco.

As for sailing, you'll get the afternoon sun from LA to the Caribbean.

That sounds right.

However, we booked a October Canal Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale a couple of months ago. All the port side cabins were taken and plenty of starboard ones were available and still are available. We got the last port side cabin in our category.

A couple of years ago, going through the locks, our ship was on the left side and starboard was better side to view. We were up on deck in front for the best viewing. Had we gone through on the right side, Port would have been better.I guess what I am saying it doesn't matter,

just go to forward decks for best viewing.

I concur with Pam. The starboard side has always been our choice traveling west to east. We do seem to spend more time around the ship and especially on the 'secret' forward decks while in the locks rather than on our balcony tho.

As others have said, you don't know which side will be better for the canal transit itself as that depends on the luck of the draw. We chose the side we did for our FLL -> LA Panama Canal cruise next winter so after going through the canal we would have the sunsets on our side of the ship all the rest of the way to LA.

As others have said, you don't know which side will be better for the canal transit itself as that depends on the luck of the draw. We chose the side we did for our FLL -> LA Panama Canal cruise next winter so after going through the canal we would have the sunsets on our side of the ship all the rest of the way to LA.
Whether the ship enters the northern or southern side of the lock, it's still going in the same direction. They don't always have ship's moving in one direction on one side and the opposite direction on the other. Last year on the Coral, we went through the locks on the "left" side. The best viewing was still on the starboard side of the ship. Think of the parallel locks as two lanes of a highway; regardless which lane you're in, the restaurant will be on the right side (in the US and on most highways.) :)

We did a full transit in April on the Royal and we were on Port. We felt that we saw more the first time back in 2006 when we were on Starboard. We still saw a lot but there is more to see on the other side of the ship!

Jennie

We did FLL to LA on the Port Side. Had wonderful views the whole day. The opposite direction LA to FLL - best side would be, as everyone says, starboard side.

Les, go up front at some stage (where I told you), best view ever and it doesn't matter which side of the ship you are booked in...... the front of the ship is THE best! :D

Archived