Why doesn't RCCL have an official statement on the Athens unrest?

Sorry if I sounded rude. I'm just not sure what they could say except

"We are aware of the (fill in the blank) situation and we are monitoring it. We will make alternate arrangements if the situation warrents."

They should not ignore the riots and am sure they won't .I really hope they do not overreact and cancel all Greek stops.

So why don't they say that then???

Even that would set some peoples minds at ease.

Why is it hard to understand that these riots terrify some people and that they are just looking to know their cruise company is on top of it.

TODAY is probably not a good day to visit Athens!!!

Interesting. Today is also the day Navigator is scheduled to call on that port. So... are they there?? or "were they" (it's probably night time there now and if they were are now likely underway to the next port)

Anyone know if they called on Athens today?

?? are you kidding me? the situation has arisen, like weeks ago. there are riots in the streets and have been for a while.

It isn't the same everyday. We did Athens 2 weeks ago with no problems at all. Today on the other hand wasn't such a good idea since new austerity measures were being decided in parlament and protesters were having a field day

?? are you kidding me? the situation has arisen, like weeks ago. there are riots in the streets and have been for a while.

Nope I´m not kidding you and strikes and riots are not on for a while as you state.

The truth is that Greece is in deep financial problems and yes that´s on for more than just weeks.

The truth is that the greek people don´t like the situation they are in and demonstrate and strike against the saving measurements their government want to implement.

Another truth is that the majority of the strikes and demonstrations are calm and peaceful.

Demonstrations and strikes are not performed all the time. They are usually announced and will last a day or two.

The occurance of riots with the strikes is not unheard about, but it´s by far not the norm

Having said all that I have to repeat my post. RCI will announce something when there is something to announce. They have no knowledge today of what the situation will be next Wednesday or even the week after.

That´s what I mean by they will make a decision and announcement once the situation arises.

There´s absolutely no sense in announcing anything now not knowing what the situation will be.

So why don't they say that then???

Even that would set some peoples minds at ease.

Why is it hard to understand that these riots terrify some people and that they are just looking to know their cruise company is on top of it.

Because that would be a companies nightmare to do. Announcing something that might be a non-issue next week would scare most people even more. They would be swamped with calls by people demanding to know what they will do as they might need to reschedule shore excursions etc. etc.

Nope not a good idea to issue any announcement without knowing for sure what´s gonna happen.

Interesting. Today is also the day Navigator is scheduled to call on that port. So... are they there?? or "were they" (it's probably night time there now and if they were are now likely underway to the next port)

It´s not nighttime, but yes the ship would be on the way by now if sailing like scheduled.

Answering my own question here....

according to marinetraffic.com it called on a non scheduled island instead of the sea day for yesterday and SKIPPED athens today en route to Turkey.

Now, for all you "they'll post something whent there's something to post" people out there, where was the post?

Don't you think such a statement on their website would have been appropriate for relatives worried about their families on board that they were skipping the port and are safe?

according to marinetraffic.com it called on a non scheduled island instead of the sea day for yesterday and SKIPPED athens today en route to Turkey.

Now, for all you "they'll post something whent there's something to post" people out there, where was the post?

Don't you think such a statement on their website would have been appropriate for relatives worried about their families on board that they were skipping the port and are safe?

The post was probably were the people concerned were - onboard!

Nope I don´t think such a statement on their wesite would be necessary once the cruise is underway anyway. But I guess we probably disagree on that one as well.:rolleyes:

I don't believe they ever post about sailings currently in progress when a change is made, only those they know about in advance so that people can update their plans if necessary. Once the sailing is underway they communicate directly with those involved while on the ship.

If I had family at home that would be worried I would be in touch with them to let them I was safe rather than rely on a company to communicate that for me.

As for your initial question of why don't they post something to the affect of we are watching the situation, would you expect them to put out a similar statement at the beginning of every hurricane season? It is much more likely that itineraries will changed at some point over the summer due to bad weather???

It now looks like at least 2 sailings have been impacted so any of us sailing in the next month or two should be watching and prepare for plan b.

for those interested, the island they called on was Malta. (port of Valletta to be precise)

I'm going to research things to do there just in case. (a benifit to knowing contingencies IN ADVANCE).

Being pro-active and finding alternatives is exactly what you need to be doing.

As mentioned previously last week's sailing had the ports re-arranged but made it to all the scheduled stops.

There´s no need to post an advisory for a cruise which is just going on. And advisory is only for upcoming cruises.

Why did they post an advisory for the Monarch? Because it´s an upcoming cruise and it´s a date they know about in advance.

As others said, the situation in Greece can change very quickly. Today was bad because of the parliament votes. Changing the itinerary was a short time decision. The riots can be over by tomorrow and ships are stopping in Athens again. A German cruise ship did go to Crete instead of Athens today.

steamboats

As for the strike well that is something no line can plan for since these are not announced ahead of time and each ship has to deal with the situation on a day to day basis....

Actually, many strikes are announced ahead of time. This announcement for a strike on May 11 was announced on May 4:

Greece: Nationwide strike May 11 A nationwide strike organized by the public- and private-sector unions against the government's austerity measures will take place on Wednesday, May 11. As a result, all commercial activity and transport services (including ground and maritime transportation) will be disrupted across the country. Air traffic is also likely to be affected during the action as air controllers will probably join the strike, causing flight delays and cancellations.

I am not sure about Greece, but in Italy I think it is a law that strikes affecting transportation MUST be announced ahead of time. If this is wrong, someone please correct me.

We were on the Navigator last year. A day and a half before our scheduled visit to Athens, we were told that a strike was scheduled for public transportation and workers at the cultural sites. They were considering skipping Athens and going to Crete instead. A final decision would be made out of Miami the following day. Late the afternoon of the following day, we were told we would be going into Athens because the cultural sites workers would not be striking. However, public transportation still might be and that taxi driver's would probably strike in "sympathy" so come on down and get your (expensive) excursion tickets.

We had contracted for a taxi. As disappointed as we would have been to not get into Athens, we decided to take our chances the cab driver would be there. He was and we had a wonderful day. He laughed when we told him that we were told that the cab drivers might go out in "sympathy." Said he makes a ton of money when public transportation goes on strike.

I can attest that is the truth because they did go on strike around noon. Cab fares doubled immediately. Those who had taken public transportation into Athens somehow managed to get back to port because I didn't hear of anyone missing the ship. Those that had purchased excursions to the Acropolis that afternoon got only 30 minutes there because the rest of the time was spent in horrendous traffic. They did not get refunds, either. Many unhappy campers.

The next day, someone tossed bombs into a bank killing three people and setting it on fire.

I'm glad I can mark Athens off my bucket list (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Listen, 90% of the replies to this thread seem to think that it's just fine for RCCL to do nothing, say nothing when customers are looking for guidance. I honestly don't understand that position. Why on earth would you not want as much information as you can get??

From my own research, I found that Navigator skipped Athens and went to Malta. I can now research what's in Malta on the off chance I'll end up there too. Why wouldn't you all be in favour of knowing the same information directly from RCCL so you too could research alternative plans? Do you just like surprises?

I just don't see why it's so hard for RCCL to share information with their customers. It's not an unusual request. Plenty of other companies do it.

For example, when there was an earthquake in Chile NCL posted:

Info for Guests of Norwegian Sun (2/28 3:30pm EST) Miami - Feb 28, 2010 --- Norwegian Sun will sail as scheduled today from Buenos Aires, Argentina. We are closely monitoring the situation in Chile and will keep guests updated as to any changes to the current scheduled itinerary.

and During the Egypt protests:

Information for Norwegian Jade Passengers (01/29/2011 6:45 PM EST)

As the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority, Norwegian Cruise Line has cancelled Norwegian Jade's overnight call to Alexandria from Saturday, January 29 to Sunday, January 30. The ship will call on Istanbul, Turkey from Saturday, January 29 to Monday, January 31 instead.

The company is closely monitoring the situation in Egypt. At this time, we have not cancelled any future calls in Egypt. However, we will continue to monitor the situation and if a change to the itinerary is made, we will post it on ncl.com and notify our guests on the February 13, 2011 sailing.

When there was the E-Coli outbreak in Germany Princess posted:

6/3/2011

Statement on the E-Coli Outbreak in Germany

Princess Cruises is working closely with the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to monitor the outbreak of E-coli in Germany. Almost all the cases have been reported in people living in Northern Germany or who have recently travelled to the area. The outbreak is suspected to be linked to the consumption of raw vegetables in Northern Germany although the exact origin of the illness is still being investigated.

Princess Cruises does not purchase any fresh food supplies from Germany. Our enhanced food sanitation procedures onboard requires that all fresh fruits and vegetables, irrespective of their origin, are washed then sanitized before being served.

In addition to shipboard procedures, we have stopped the serving of all raw fruits and vegetables on Princess-sponsored shore excursions in Germany during the Emerald Princess visits. Passengers travelling independently in Germany have been advised not to consume raw fruits and vegetables. All passengers sailing on ships in Europe have been issued a health advisory regarding the situation. Further information on the outbreak can be obtained from the US CDC traveller's health website: cdc.gov/travel/notices/outbreak-notice/2011-germany-europe-e-coli.htm

It is a simple curteousy that clearly is not lost on other companies and should be part of RCCL's policy book as well.

..and on the other side you seems to ignore my comment/question about the fact that most offical authorities doesnt issue any offical travel advice about the situation in Greece...

As you wrote yourself: 90% in this thread seem to think that it's just fine for RCCL to do nothing..

My best advice: IF you are afraid of this situation, then contact RCCL and your countys official authorities directly yourself. Listen then to what they tell you, and follow that.

Sorry, but I still don´t think there´s a need for RCI to inform anyone except for those on the ship about a short term decision to reroute the ship.

BTW there have been several ships in port in Piraeus today including Celebrity Equinox, Brilliance of the Seas, Star Princess.

I now understand that you wanted this information to prepare yourself just in case your cruise will be rerouted too. But anyway there are a lot of ports a ship can go to instead of Athens. Malta is pretty far away (we had a sea day between Piraeus and Malta). One ship went to Crete. It can be Kusadasi, Turkey, oder Rhodes, Greece or Nauplia, Greece or Santorini, Greece or Izmir, Turkey. All of those ports are within the reach of Piraeus (o.k., it depends on where the ship is going next). So good luck getting yourself prepared for all ports in the Med!!!

And BTW Malta is a great island, the port is one of the most scenic in the Med. Lots of things to do and you can just take the public bus up to Valletta and explore this great medieval town. I´ve spent 4 weeks in total on this island. And they do speak English :D! Get a start and check out

http://www.vallettawaterfront.com/

steamboats

I just don't see why it's so hard for RCCL to share information with their customers. It's not an unusual request. Plenty of other companies do it.

Info for Guests of Norwegian Sun (2/28 3:30pm EST) Miami - Feb 28, 2010 --- Norwegian Sun will sail as scheduled today from Buenos Aires, Argentina. We are closely monitoring the situation in Chile and will keep guests updated as to any changes to the current scheduled itinerary.

It doesn't say a darn thing. There's no actual information. RCI could do the exact thing for Athens... Put out a statement that they still plan to go, are monitoring the situation and will let people know when they change plans. Would such an "official" statement do anyone any good?

Now I agree it would be nice if RCI put out a statement: "Notice to DIYers... since there's a chance we will decide to skip Athens, you may want to study up on Malta, as that's a likely second option." But that falls under the larger bucket of "It would be nice if RCI would do more to help the DIYers." And we all know that isn't happening.

Listen, 90% of the replies to this thread seem to think that it's just fine for RCCL to do nothing, say nothing when customers are looking for guidance. I honestly don't understand that position. Why on earth would you not want as much information as you can get??

Sometimes too much information ain´t good either. Anyway yes I do want information whenthere is some information to share. Obviously at this point RCI has no information to share. I honestly don´t understand what is so hard to understand that if there´s nothing to say, there simply won´t be a message.

You can get as much information as you want from the news anyway.

From my own research, I found that Navigator skipped Athens and went to Malta. I can now research what's in Malta on the off chance I'll end up there too. Why wouldn't you all be in favour of knowing the same information directly from RCCL so you too could research alternative plans? Do you just like surprises?

I would only want this information if it´s set in stone that I would be diverted to Malta, not a note that this might or might not happen. Sorry wouldn´t work for me.

As the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority, Norwegian Cruise Line has cancelled Norwegian Jade's overnight call to Alexandria from Saturday, January 29 to Sunday, January 30. The ship will call on Istanbul, Turkey from Saturday, January 29 to Monday, January 31 instead.

The company is closely monitoring the situation in Egypt. At this time, we have not cancelled any future calls in Egypt. However, we will continue to monitor the situation and if a change to the itinerary is made, we will post it on ncl.com and notify our guests on the February 13, 2011 sailing.

6/3/2011

Princess Cruises is working closely with the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to monitor the outbreak of E-coli in Germany. Almost all the cases have been reported in people living in Northern Germany or who have recently travelled to the area. The outbreak is suspected to be linked to the consumption of raw vegetables in Northern Germany although the exact origin of the illness is still being investigated.

Princess Cruises does not purchase any fresh food supplies from Germany. Our enhanced food sanitation procedures onboard requires that all fresh fruits and vegetables, irrespective of their origin, are washed then sanitized before being served.

In addition to shipboard procedures, we have stopped the serving of all raw fruits and vegetables on Princess-sponsored shore excursions in Germany during the Emerald Princess visits. Passengers travelling independently in Germany have been advised not to consume raw fruits and vegetables. All passengers sailing on ships in Europe have been issued a health advisory regarding the situation. Further information on the outbreak can be obtained from the US CDC traveller's health website: cdc.gov/travel/notices/outbreak-notice/2011-germany-europe-e-coli.htm

It is a simple curteousy that clearly is not lost on other companies and should be part of RCCL's policy book as well.

Interesting how you quote all these cruise lines. You realize that RCI does issue such notes as well. As a matter of fact you said it earlier that RCI issues alerts on their website, so it is part of RCI´s policy book.

Now none of the quotes from other lines are about Greek or Athens. What´s your point? To support your case you need to quote other cruiselines statements about what´s going on in Athens now.

6/3/2011

Clearly not lost on Royal Caribbean either when they think it's important/relevant. You just have a difference of opinion with them on whether they should be doing it in this case.

February 21, 2010

12:00 p.m. E.S.T

The Galveston area is currently experiencing dense fog. Because of this, authorities have closed the port of Galveston, delaying the arrival of Voyager of the Seas.

Unfortunately, due to the fog conditions, we do not currently have an exact time we can dock our ship, since this will depend on when the local authorities reopen the port.

Based on the most recent weather forecasts we hope to dock by early afternoon - at approximately 1:30 p.m.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Voyager of the Seas today not arrive at the port before 6:00 p.m. Boarding will take place between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions in Galveston and will update this information if there are any changes.

Egypt - Itinerary Changes

March 18, 2011

Royal Caribbean International continues to monitor the situation in Egypt. Due to the uncertainty in Egypt, and in an abundance of caution, we have decided to cancel additional port calls to Egypt through November.

The additional sailings that have been modified are:

Brilliance of the Seas, which departs Barcelona, Spain on Wednesday, September 9, will now call on Istanbul, Turkey, on Monday, October 3 and stay overnight until 10:00 p.m. Tuesday, October 4.

Brilliance of the Seas, which departs Barcelona, Spain on Monday, October 10, will now call on Istanbul, Turkey, on Saturday, October 15 and stay overnight until 10:00 p.m. Sunday, October 16.

Brilliance of the Seas, which departs Barcelona, Spain on Saturday, October 22, will now call on Istanbul, Turkey, on Saturday, October 29 and stay overnight until 7:00 p.m. Sunday, October 30.

Mariner of the Seas, which departs Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy on Thursday, September 8, will now call on Istanbul, Turkey, on Thursday, September 15 and stay overnight until 7:00 p.m. Friday, September 16.

Mariner of the Seas, which departs Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy on Monday, October 3, will sail a modified itinerary. The revised itinerary will be:

DAYPORTARRIVALDEPARTUREMondayRome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 p.m.TuesdaySicily (Messina), Italy9:00 a.m.3:30 p.m.WednesdayAt Sea ThursdayAt Sea FridayIstanbul, Turkey7:00a.m SaturdayIstanbul, Turkey 3:00 p.mSundayEphesus (Kusadasi), Turkey 10:00 a.m7:00 p.mMondayAthens (Piresus), Greece7:00 a.m6:00 p.mTuesdayRhodes, Greece 9:00 a.m5:00 p.mWednesdayChania (Souda), Greece7:00 a.m2:00 p.mThursdayAt sea FridayRome (Civitavecchia), Italy5:00 a.m

Vision of the Seas, whose sailing begins in Istanbul, Turkey on Friday, September 16, will now call on Haifa, Israel, on Monday, September 19 and stay overnight until 10:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 20.

Vision of the Seas, whose sailing begins in Istanbul, Turkey on Friday, October 7, will sail a modified itinerary. The revised itinerary will be:

DAYPORTARRIVALDEPARTUREFridayIstanbul, Turkey SaturdayIstanbul, Turkey 2:00 p.m.SundayAt Sea MondayHaifa, Israel9:00 a.m.11:59 p.m.TuesdayJerusalem (Ashdod), Israel7:00 a.m. WednesdayJerusalem (Ashdod), Israel 7:00 p.mThursdayAt Sea FridayAthens (Piresus), Greece7:00 a.m6:00 p.mSaturdayEphesus (Kusadasi), Turkey9:00 a.m7:00 p.mSundayAt Sea MondayIstanbul, Turkey5:00 p.m.

Vision of the Seas, whose sailing begins in Istanbul, Turkey on Monday, October 17, will sail a modified itinerary. The revised itinerary will be:

DAYPORTARRIVALDEPARTUREMondayIstanbul, Turkey TuesdayIstanbul, Turkey 2:00 p.m.WednesdayEphesus (Kusadasi), Turkey 10:00 a.m8:00 p.mThursdayAthens (Piraeus), Greece9:00 a.m6:00 p.mFridayRhodes, Greece 9:00 a.m7:00 p.mSaturdayAt Sea SundayJerusalem (Ashdod), Israel10:00 a.m MondayJerusalem (Ashdod), Israel 10:00 p.mTuesdayHaifa, Israel7:00 a.m10:00 p.mWednesdayAt sea ThursdayAt sea FridayIstanbul, Turkey5:00 a.m

Vision of the Seas, whose sailing begins in Istanbul, Turkey on Friday, October 28, will sail a modified itinerary. The revised itinerary will be:

DAYPORTARRIVALDEPARTUREFridayIstanbul, Turkey SaturdayIstanbul, Turkey 2:00 p.m.SundayAt Sea MondayHaifa, Israel9:00 a.m.11:59 p.m.TuesdayJerusalem (Ashdod), Israel7:00 a.m. WednesdayJerusalem (Ashdod), Israel 7:00 p.mThursdayAt Sea FridayAthens (Piresus), Greece7:00 a.m6:00 p.mSaturdayEphesus (Kusadasi), Turkey9:00 a.m7:00 p.mSundayAt Sea MondayIstanbul, Turkey5:00 p.m.

Vision of the Seas, whose sailing begins in Istanbul, Turkey on Monday, November 7, will sail a modified itinerary. The revised itinerary will be:

DAYPORTARRIVALDEPARTUREMondayIstanbul, Turkey TuesdayIstanbul, Turkey2:00 p.m.WednesdayEphesus (Kusadasi), Turkey 9:00 a.m8:00 p.mThursdayAthens (Piraeus), Greece9:00 a.m6:00 p.mFridayAt Sea SaturdayValletta, Malta 7:00 a.m6:00 a.mSundaySicily (Messina), Italy 7:00 a.m4:00 p.mMondayCagliari, Sardinia, Italy10:00 a.m6:00 p.mTuesdayAt sea WednesdayMalaga, Spain 8:00 a.m7:00 p.mThursdaySeville (Cadiz), Spain7:00 a.m3:00 p.mFridayLisbon, Portugal6:00 a.m

The cost of any shore excursions in a cancelled port, which were purchased through Royal Caribbean International, will be refunded to the form of payment used. Guests who booked shore excursions whose call date has changed, through Royal Caribbean International, will have those reservations transferred to the new day of the port call. Our shore excursion staff onboard can assist guests regarding activities in any new port of call.

We will continue to closely monitor the changing situation in Egypt and will contact guests or their travel agents should we make any additional modifications to upcoming itineraries

Monarch of the Seas – July 8, 2011 Sailing

Monarch of the Seas is scheduled to sail out of Cape Canaveral, Florida, on Friday, July 8. The final space shuttle launch is also scheduled for Friday, July 8. Port Canaveral historically experiences heavy traffic volume before and after the shuttle launch. Since the shuttle launch on July 8 is the last launch, the Port is expecting extremely heavy traffic in the area.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Monarch of the Seas on July 8, provide ample time to arrive at the port for boarding. The ship's 4:30 p.m. departure will not be delayed due to the launch traffic. As a reminder, all guests must be checked in and onboard the ship 60 minutes prior to sail time.

My daughter is on the Navigator at present. They stopped at Malta instead of Athens! They only found out when her partners was going through the cruise planner when they boarded on Sunday!!! Watching the riots yesterday I am glad she didn't go to Athens. This is the one port she wanted to go to and why she chose the cruise!

And that is because most of us on this board take resposibility for ourselves, not sit around waiting for someone else to tell us what we can and cannot do.

I research the ports I am going to and keep and eye on what is happening there so that I am informed. Too many people in this day and age point the finger at someone else when they didn't know something that impacted them.

I trust RCI to know whether it is safe for our sailing to stop in Athens or any other port I am scheduled to stop at. If they deem it unsafe, hey its an adventure. Will I be disappointed, absolutely, but on the other hand happy they are taking care of their customers safety.

It appears that personal responsibility is becoming a thing of past :(

And that is because most of us on this board take resposibility for ourselves, not sit around waiting for someone else to tell us what we can and cannot do.

It appears that personal responsibility is becoming a thing of past :(

AMEN to this! Great posting!

Archived