Varanda Suite on Silver Sprit 9th Deck

CrusinPaul

Where are you cruising? Along the coast or across notorious areas?

And, define motion.

In the observation lounge on the Spirit, there were a couple of days that I chose to go down to a lower deck because the motion was messing with my tummy. That cruise was so calm I took only 3 or 4 motion sickness tablets over the 21 day cruise, probably the fewest of any of my cruises so far. If you are that sensitive to motion, you might want a lower deck.

On the other hand, on one of the segments of the World Cruise, even one of the officers chose to leave her deck (5, I think) and go sleep on the floor in her office on 3. That was rough and I'm sure those on deck 9 had a rougher ride than those on deck 4.

We only take Vista cabins now and part of the reason is the motion is so minor there.

The Spirit is one of the smoothest ships I've been on. The captain certainly warned us of 'rough' days and to be careful walking around yet it was far less motion than I had experienced on similarly gale force days on the Shadow. So if you want a smooth ride, you've picked an excellent ship. But if your routing takes you through Drake's Passage, and you are asking questions about deck 9, you may want to rethink your itinerary.

I Am on a 10 day Caribbean cruise. Will it be calm?

It depends what time of year. When are you going?

We usually cruise in the Caribbean the first 2 weeks of December, which is technically after the end of hurricane season. Typically it is calm, however...

One year on Regent we cruised for 7 days in Tropical Storm Olga with 15 - 20 foot swells. It was not fun. Given those conditions, there was nowhere to hide.

On the Spirit we have always stayed on the 9th deck. In calm seas, it's calm. But it's all relative and depends on how sensitive you are to motion.

We've cruised twice on Spirit in 801 and 802, which is all the way forward. First time we went through the equivalent of a Cat 2 hurricane and it was fine. Last time was 18 days in the Caribbean in Dec and it was great, so I don't think you'll have any problem forward on deck 9. Spirit rides extremely well.

We love Deck 9 on the Spirit and choose it partly because if there is rough weather, we will be able to enjoy it on the deck. However, if you are concerned about motion, go for a lower deck. No one can predict with any accuracy what the weather will be! We've had force 10 weather conditions in the most unlikely places.

One year on Regent we cruised for 7 days in Tropical Storm Olga with 15 - 20 foot swells. It was not fun. Given those conditions, there was nowhere to hide.
From our experience, 5 ft swell, no problem; 8 ft. swell, prefer to stay in cabin and order room service; 10 ft. swell, need to lie in bed and try to sleep (you won't feel it if you are asleep, unless it is so bad as to throw you off bed, which has not happened to us yet). We don't want too much over 10 ft swell .. meow!

We were on the Spirit's maiden crossing (with dougburns, above) a year and a half ago. We had a midship suite on deck 6 or 7 (can't remember). Spirit rode it well, tho at the height of the storm, they did shut down the forward elevators (and we missed Funchal).

Probably depends on your sensitivity to "motion of the ocean". I don't mind it at all, but my wife does, somewhat (that's why we booked a midship verandah). During the storm, I was one of the few up in the Observation Lounge (deck 11 forward) enjoying watching the heavy spray from the crashing waves splash against the Lounge windows! Great fun (but now half of you are turning green!).

If you are motion-sensitive, I'd recommend a midship verandah on a lower deck - just to be safe.

Gary

... at the height of the storm, they did shut down the forward elevators (and we missed Funchal)...
Do you remember how many feet swell was it then? The captain usually announces all sea data right after noon on sea days.

Hi Paul,

I am VERY sensative to motion, but also suffer from every side affect listed on the side of the meds for motion sickness. Therefore, I do not take any 'preventative' measures because the meds make me 'wonky' or knock me out.

We were on the 11th level right up front, next to the Obs. Lounge. I was PERFECTLYfine. I did not feel anything. Actually, I'm lying...during the evening of travelling thru Gibralter straights (or whatever its called) there was some pretty good movement. Not sure of the hight of swells but enough for things to be sliding around on our table. I woke up from one particular good toss and swallowed an oral Gravol to put me back to sleep and it worked.

What I did do for our last cruise on the Spirit (oct/11) was this: I went to my doctor prior to departure and asked him to give me liquid Gravol (Canadian version of Dramomine, I believe you call it south of the boarder) and a needle. I figured that if it got bad, DH could stab me in the rear-end and all would be taken care of quickly.

I never needed any liquid Gravol and only took one oral tablet that one night. So, I think you will be fine because, trust me, I would have NEVER booked our next cruise on the Spirit next year if I wasn't....same room!

Anita

LOL, Emtbsam, I couldn't remember and asked that question on this board a few months ago. Some believed there was a Tasimo others didn't think there was. Hit and miss perhaps? Dunno.

I'm waiting for closer to sailing date and emailing SS or my TA with my list of questions of details that I can't remember from my last sail. When did I turn into my mother...sigh.:rolleyes:

Anita

Hi Paul,

Just off Spirit this morning from a Med cruise. We were in a

Mid ship deck nine suite 920.

We found position perfect,no motion though our Seas were very

Calm.

We loved the location as it was so close to the pool.

We would book same deck on our next cruise. Spirit was an amazing

Ship for stability and motion.

However our butler did say if seas are bad, suites on deck 7 much better

For motion than 10 or 11.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Sakaara

Hi Paul,

Just off Spirit this morning from a Med cruise. We were in a

Mid ship deck nine suite 920.

We found position perfect,no motion though our Seas were very

Calm.

We loved the location as it was so close to the pool.

We would book same deck on our next cruise. Spirit was an amazing

Ship for stability and motion.

However our butler did say if seas are bad, suites on deck 7 much better

For motion than 10 or 11.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Sakaara

Hi Sakaara

Hope you had a wonderful cruise. Can you tell us who the crew was, cruise director, any favorite waitstaff (restaurant, pool area, pool bar) and who your butler was? We have deck 9 midship veranda booked next month. Thank you!:)

Just disembarked Spirit this morning. We viewed a Silver Suite

Whose coffee machine is a Delonghi with similar capsules to the

Nespresso machine.

Regards Sakaara

Thanks so much. I hope it will still be there in December.

Do you remember how many feet swell was it then? The captain usually announces all sea data right after noon on sea days.

Don't remember -- it was a year and a half ago. Dougburns wrote it was equivalent to a Cat. 2 hurricane. Storm was sufficient that we were losing time and Capt. announced it was questionable if we could enter Funchal harbor. So the decision was made to skip Funchal and reroute to Canary Islands (our next port of call) as weather would be better in that direction. Good choice, as the seas calmed down a few hours later. Given the sea conditions and the results, no one griped about missing Funchal!

Thank you. Hurricane 2 is some 90 knots wind. The worst we have been was 75 km/h wind (perhaps more but there was no announcement). Yours is about double what we were through (which was perhaps 10 ft. swell.

Sorry for delay in answering your questions regarding cruise staff.

Hotel director was Franco Rienzo. Cruise director was David Oliphant.

Our butler was Heri who we found hit and miss, he only did bare minimum.

We were disappointed by this as we had asked for canapés every evening

At 6pm and only received these twice so always had to call for them.

It was the same with The Restaurant menu for lunch and dinner. We asked for a copy to be delivered daily and inevitably had to chase him for these too.

Three members of staff stood out to us. Gustavo maitre d' was fantastic.

I Ketut waiter on pool deck would always be the first waiter everyday to see did we need a drink, we only had to arrive to a sunchair and he was there to greet us. Notably on our first morning he greeted us by name. We were impressed with how quickly this happened.

The third staff member was Ismail a waiter from the pool grill

He was exceptionally friendly and always remembered our names wherever we would meet him around ship. The staff certainly are what make this ship so special. Captain Corsaro was the best captain we have ever sailed with and feel extremely lucky to have done so. I will explain more in my review as with arriving home I haven't had time to do this as yet.

I hope this helps you and feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards

Sakaara

Sorry for delay in answering your questions regarding cruise staff.

Hotel director was Franco Rienzo. Cruise director was David Oliphant.

Our butler was Heri who we found hit and miss, he only did bare minimum.

We were disappointed by this as we had asked for canapés every evening

At 6pm and only received these twice so always had to call for them.

It was the same with The Restaurant menu for lunch and dinner. We asked for a copy to be delivered daily and inevitably had to chase him for these too.

Three members of staff stood out to us. Gustavo maitre d' was fantastic.

I Ketut waiter on pool deck would always be the first waiter everyday to see did we need a drink, we only had to arrive to a sunchair and he was there to greet us. Notably on our first morning he greeted us by name. We were impressed with how quickly this happened.

The third staff member was Ismail a waiter from the pool grill

He was exceptionally friendly and always remembered our names wherever we would meet him around ship. The staff certainly are what make this ship so special. Captain Corsaro was the best captain we have ever sailed with and feel extremely lucky to have done so. I will explain more in my review as with arriving home I haven't had time to do this as yet.

I hope this helps you and feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards

Sakaara

Thanks, Sakaara. Is the cruise director from the US (New York)? If so, I remember him from our cruise on the Spirit this past December. I do find one has to be proactive with the butlers (in terms of requesting things) but it sounded like you followed up a lot and still didn't get the level of service you desired. I think our butler on the 9th deck was Sanjay, and he was terrific. I didn't recognize many of the other names from around the pool, but Gustavo sounded familiar. I remember a pool waiter from Sardinia (Salvatore?) that we liked very much, as well as the pool bartender, Garreth.

I think our hotel director was Paolo, and our Staff Captain was Salvatore. Do you remember who the Staff Captain was?

We also felt that Captain Corsaro was the best captain we have sailed with. Alas, he will be on vacation in late August when we are on the Spirit, but we hope when we are back on in December he will be there.

:)

Thanks, Sakaara. Is the cruise director from the US (New York)? If so, I remember him from our cruise on the Spirit this past December. I do find one has to be proactive with the butlers (in terms of requesting things) but it sounded like you followed up a lot and still didn't get the level of service you desired. I think our butler on the 9th deck was Sanjay, and he was terrific. I didn't recognize many of the other names from around the pool, but Gustavo sounded familiar. I remember a pool waiter from Sardinia (Salvatore?) that we liked very much, as well as the pool bartender, Garreth.

I think our hotel director was Paolo, and our Staff Captain was Salvatore. Do you remember who the Staff Captain was?

We also felt that Captain Corsaro was the best captain we have sailed with. Alas, he will be on vacation in late August when we are on the Spirit, but we hope when we are back on in December he will be there.

:)

If you had the same butler we did on Deck 9, his name was Sandeep, and he was fantastic! Our Stewardess was Madelyn, and she was great also.

Lisa; Capt. Corsaro will be aboard for your Dec cruise. After that he will go to the Whisper for the 2012 WC. Mauro Mazzola, the Chief Engineer, will go with him.

Thanks, Doug. Hope you and Lynne are doing ok in the heat and dust. Do you remember who the staff captain and cruise director were when we were on the Spirit? Was it Salvatore and David Oliphant? I can't remember their names...but I do remember what fun we had with you, Lynn, George and his wife, etc.! :)

Lisa

If you had the same butler we did on Deck 9, his name was Sandeep, and he was fantastic! Our Stewardess was Madelyn, and she was great also.

Hmmmm...I think you may have been a little closer to the pool than us. We had veranda in December, not a midship veranda. I'm pretty sure I remember Sandeep. We were pretty happy with our butler also, but it seems like the staff has turned over a bit since then. I think we have the same cabin Aug. 27 and Dec. 11 on the Spirit so it will be interesting to see if there are changes in those 3 months. :)

Archived