Book, wait and cancel

ONT-CA

I agree, the use of the word "chastised" was a bit strong. What I was referring to was conversations at a table in the MDR where other passengers were bragging how they book multiple cruises and multiple categories with no intention of filling any of them. They could not see the problems they were creating for others, or care, and I felt they needed to be brought up on their indifference if not selfishness

In that case I would do exactly the same! Sorry for "assuming negative intent" -- should have "assumed positive". Goes for you to TOTO. Sorry!

In that case I would do exactly the same! Sorry for "assuming negative intent" -- should have "assumed positive". Goes for you to TOTO. Sorry!

No problem at all. At times the typed word can come across the opposite of how it was intended. Again, glad you have joined Cruise Critic, and that welcome was sincere. ;)

We know because Princess are placing customers on the waiting list. Why would they do this if they really believed everyone who booked is going to take the cruise? We know there are exceptions where people truly intend to take the cruise but for one reason or another they cannot. But what we are referring to are those that place bookings on several cruises and decide to take but one and then perhaps not even that.

You are jumping to conclusions without ANY supporting evidence. Princess is putting people on a waiting list in case there are cancellations. EVERYONE does that. Sometimes cruises ships are oversold and then the cruise line has to offer incentives to get some people to change their cruising date.

You can spout all the conspiracy theories you want. However, you have not provided any support for your theory.

...You can spout all the conspiracy theories you want. However, you have not provided any support for your theory.

Conspiracy? I am not saying these phantom booking are committed with intent to do harm. I am saying in their ignorance some are either unaware or indifferent to harm that they do.

Princess has all the facts (unlike us) to make the best decisions to enhance profit. That is why we have the system that is in place. I do not feel there will be any changes in the near future. We as customers need to use it to our best advantage and that is book early and get what you want!!!!!

I sure that there are some people who book cruises never having the intention of taking them just like there are people who go shopping for the express purpose of returning the goods. But I have always been under the impression, perhaps incorrectly so, that one of the principal reasons that cabins start to open up as "final" approaches is that TAs start to release their "group" cabins. Even Princess holds back certain types of cabins such as family cabins in an attempt to bolster profits from that type of cabin.

I know this doesn't really have to do with the OP's problem of only being able to book 'half' of his cruise but I offer this viewpoint anyways...

In the past 2 years, I have booked 7 cruises and taken 3...I cancelled 4 cruises...only one using a FCC as I had run out for the rest. I booked all these cruises with the intent of taking all of them but the 4 I cancelled were for these reasons:

• Airfare got too high on 2 of them and only got higher as time went on (oil going $$$$$)
  • One, a TA, the itinerary got changed so it was missing the Canary Islands that I had mainly booked the cruise for.
  • One, due to possible political unrest, caused our travel companions to cancel so we did too.

The TA we just took in May was the first part of a B2B and we didn't know about the second 12 day Baltic part (I didn't read to the bottom of the email from Princess :o ) so I inadvertently only booked the first 16 days and not the second 12 days.

I'm sorry that OP's plans aren't working out but my experience (and I can't speak for the 1000s of others who book and cancel) is that when I book, I plan on cruising....and sometimes 'Life gets in the way of all the plans we make'

Conspiracy? I am not saying these phantom booking are committed with intent to do harm. I am saying in their ignorance some are either unaware or indifferent to harm that they do.

Yup. That's society. You can say the same thing to chair hogs,

people who cut you off in traffic, etc.

Life goes on...

A year ago, when I had to cancel two cruises due to my husband's health, the 4 FCCs were NOT returned to my Princess account, but showed up as refunds on my credit card.
I can think of only two reasons why this would happen. Actually, three reasons. One is if the FCCs were due to expire. Two is if they had already been used once before and canceled as you get only two bookings per FCC. The third is if someone passes away, as in the case of your husband. My BIL's FCCs were returned after he passed away; my sister's were left in her account.

Well, here are two passengers who want to purchase a 30 day cruise but cannot because someone who booked the 16 day latter half has no intention of ever taking the cruise. That is costing Princess revenue

Please! You really don't know that!

I know that it is hard not to make such assumptions, but wait until near final payment time, and those who were not serious, or do not have the funds, will cancel and you, being on the waiting list, will get their cabins, hopefully in the category you want so you don't have to change rooms.

I think that everyone who booked a cruise has every intention of going. Otherwise why would they even bother booking it? There are many reasons for cancelling. Circumstances arise that are out of their control and they have to cancel. Some are hoping the price would drop for the cruise and the air fare so they can afford to go and still get the cabin they want. Others are booking ahead to know how much money they have to save.

BTW, I like the FCC as is and wouldn't change a thing, maybe more shipboard credits...:)

And I am sure there are people who book with the full deposit only to reserve a space. Maybe all deposit should be non refundable. That may solve your problem but I certainly hope not.

Better odea is to book early

We were #300 on the waitlist when we booked a cruise from Australia to LA back in Sep 2006. Booking had opened up a few months before that and the ship was full and the cruise wasn't leaving until April 2008. Within about 6 weeks we were confirmed, so it really can go very quickly.

It is interesting to note that where there was only "Inside" cabins available for several weeks, all of a sudden and in addition, "Ocean View" has opened up again. Perhaps our discussion is being taken to heart.

At the present we have booked two cabins and Princess will hold them for eight days through our TA.

On the 2012 World Cruise aboard the Pacific Princess starting in FL, we only want one segment (can't afford more!!)

The cabin we want BA Cat is $932. MORE than the Minis. I have booked a BC Cat, which is $1400. LESS than the BA and also the BA Cat.

Since this is a World Cruise, you can't use FCC, so a cash deposit must be made.

Can I make a deposit on both in hopes that the BA will eventually come down in price before final payment? I could then move the cash deposit over on to the one with the best price.

I have a feeling "no can do" but you can only ask!!

Snowbird

At the present we have booked two cabins and Princess will hold them for eight days through our TA.

On the 2012 World Cruise aboard the Pacific Princess starting in FL, we only want one segment (can't afford more!!)

The cabin we want BA Cat is $932. MORE than the Minis. I have booked a BC Cat, which is $1400. LESS than the BA and also the BA Cat.

Since this is a World Cruise, you can't use FCC, so a cash deposit must be made.

Can I make a deposit on both in hopes that the BA will eventually come down in price before final payment? I could then move the cash deposit over on to the one with the best price.

I have a feeling "no can do" but you can only ask!!

Snowbird

The only suggestion I have is to split up and book each of you in a cabin as a single. As long as you don't wait too long (in case the ship fills up) you could cancel one booking and move that passenger over to the one you plan on taking. ;) The deposit amount should be the same as if you were booking both of you in the two cabins................which it sounds like you were ready to do anyway. Good Luck!

Methinks the poster doth protest too much.

So you think that Princess, who has spent years micro-managing

their yield management reads a post on cruise critic,

and suddenly decides to manually change inventory?

The only suggestion I have is to split up and book each of you in a cabin as a single. As long as you don't wait too long (in case the ship fills up) you could cancel one booking and move that passenger over to the one you plan on taking. ;) The deposit amount should be the same as if you were booking both of you in the two cabins................which it sounds like you were ready to do anyway. Good Luck!

Thanks Toto, I'll try that. One question: what would be the downside of "waiting too long in case the ship fills up"?. I would have the two cabins and would move one passenger and one deposit over to the cabin with the best price just before final payment.

Robgvic:

The only thing wrong with booking the BC guarantee (We like to book specific cabins) is with 50 BB cabins and 10 BA cabins my odds would be to get a BB (if I got an upgrade) and not getting our BA cabin.

Snowbird

Firstly we can only now book the first segment. We have learned from experience. We have gone on a waiting list for a cruise. We were notified of acceptance just as we lost our planned and coveted airfare deal. We have sat outside the Future Cruise Sales office to make our booking and heard the conversations of booking two cruises and making the decision as to which one will be taken but only at a later date. And the attendant accepted that. We have chastised people who do this only to be told, “why not, it doesn’t cost anything”.

I like the current system the way it is. And yes, traveling with an 86 y/o, stuff happens and you have to cancel. The incentive for us is BOTH the reduced deposit and the OBC. Rather than change the current system and penalize the majority of passengers who book and DON'T cancel, modify the system so there is some type of penalty for those who continue to do this on a regular basis.

As for ONT-CA, I'm sorry you can't get the booking you want right now and I'm sorry you can not be a little more persistent and patient to get the booking you want. It is first come, first served.:)

Archived