Question from DW regarding New England/Canada Cruises

jkrislc

I told my DW, who doesn't participate in CC, that I would post her question here for her.

While we've been on a number of cruises, 14 in all, she's always a bit hesitant because of the fear of sea sickness, although she's only been sick twice and queasy only on a couple more. As a result, we usually get midship cabins which provide a necessary respite for her when the seas are rough.

Her question, specifically, is in regards to HAL's Montreal to Boston cruise. She's pleased that it is port intensive, but concerned about the sea conditions. While she knows that storms can't be predicted, she'd like to know generally how rocky this itinerary tends to be. From what I've read, going from New England to Canada seems to be the worst, but haven't seen anything else. Thus, it appears that she only has one night to worry about given what I've read.

Any insight is appreciated.

We just came back from a Maasdam back to back, Boston to Montreal and then back to Boston. On two nights, as we left port, it was a bit rocky, but nothing bad. Unless there's a storm, she should be OK.

I told my DW, who doesn't participate in CC, that I would post her question here for her.

While we've been on a number of cruises, 14 in all, she's always a bit hesitant because of the fear of sea sickness, although she's only been sick twice and queasy only on a couple more. As a result, we usually get midship cabins which provide a necessary respite for her when the seas are rough.

Her question, specifically, is in regards to HAL's Montreal to Boston cruise. She's pleased that it is port intensive, but concerned about the sea conditions. While she knows that storms can't be predicted, she'd like to know generally how rocky this itinerary tends to be. From what I've read, going from New England to Canada seems to be the worst, but haven't seen anything else. Thus, it appears that she only has one night to worry about given what I've read.

Any insight is appreciated.

It is really the same as anywhere else and that is you have the luck of the draw. The seas off Atlantic Canada and the coast of Maine can be like a mill pond one day and wild the next---or calm for days at a time---or not.

If there is a hurricane down south they usually track north and we get the tail end around here which can make things rough.

I took the Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise on the Eurodam a few years ago and the seas were not rough at all.

I make a practice of taking ginger pills for a few days prior to a cruise and sometimes it is a good thing and other times they were not necessary. There is no way to predict.

Here's hoping you have smooth sailing and that you enjoy the down home hospitality and scenery that Atlantic Canada and Maine are famous for.

We were on the Maasdam B2B, Montreal/Boston, May 7-21.

Extremely rough seas, Sydney to Bar Harbour, May 12. Most passengers did not come to the Rotterdam Dining Room that night.

But that was only one rough sea experience out of a total of 14 days.

Thanks for the feedback; it truly helps and has calmed DW's fears.

She is aware that it is luck of the draw after 13 cruises for her and 14 for me. She just wanted to know if there were any inherent sea conditions she should be aware of. For example, sailing from San Francisco is known for rough seas, which is what she was looking to hear.

I completely agree that it's a crap shoot from personal experience. Last time we sailed to Alaska from Seattle, we hit 18-20' seas outside Vancouver island. This time there was practically nothing. It was almost as if we were sailing across a lake.

Jkrisic - the next time you sail to Alaska, go out of Vancouver - the Inside route is much calmer.

DaveOKC

It was actually very calm this last time. We also had other reasons for leaving out of Seattle, but thank you for the suggestion.

Archived