Senior discounts

marydallas

Hi - someone must know the answer. I read on one of these sites about someone getting a senior-discount>>> first i've heard of that. What is the scoop??

Also my sympathys to all who surrered losses from your tornado. I live in tornado alley (kinda). Outside of dallas in plano the devestation can be horrific......like the floods - it takes so many years for reovery.

Everyone have a happy and safe fourth - eat heartily and drink in moderation. Eh? We

really are all "yankee doodle dandies" on the fourth. See you on board. Mary

When you are researching a cruise, on the page with the Departure Information, #4 is Passenger Profile. The first box you tick is for 55+, then there are some others for residence etc. Always tick those boxes when you are searching for a cruise. If there is a senior discount and you have the 55+ box ticked, the discount will be displayed. If you don't have the box ticked, you will be shown the regular price. Same for residence. I hope this helps.

marydallas ~ sometimes Celebrity gives a special discount for seniors or what state you live in, etc. It isn't an automatic things, like at the movies or at some restaurants.

When you look at a cruise and click on "book now" a page opens asking for the "passenger profile" - check the 55+ box if at least one of the passengers is over 55. Then, if there is a Senior Price, it'll show in the catogory where it applies - might not be for all cabins. And that might change from day to day.

On our cruise, right now, seniors can save $2560pp on C1 cabins. O4 & O5 are also on sale as are O9 and O10 cabins.

I don't know how often Celebrity does this but I'm happy we lucked out for once!!

Just went and checked that Med cruise for November 4. Wow, what a deal for a senior - almost half price. Wish we hadn't already scheduled a vacation for mid-October. We've already got air reservations and rooms for Vermont and Maine. I would rather have done the cruise.:)

We booked a cruise in April for 2012 and didn't get a senior discount. :(

Keep checking. It's like any price drop, it could happen at any time. Senior discounts, like residency or military discounts, come and go. I check the price of the cruise daily by making a phantom booking, and of course check the box for 55+. If they decide to offer it, it'll come up.

We booked a cruise in April for 2012 and didn't get a senior discount. :(
Technically Senior / Residency / Military etc are Special Rates [a fixed price], not a discount [so many dollars or a percentage off]. I'm not trying to be overly picky, but this can be important since in general you can use only one discount or "offer", but most other offers CAN be combined with Senior Rates. It would be rare for Special Rates to be posted this far out from April 2012. The cruise line waits to see how the cruise is selling, and offers Special Rates on cruises that need a boost in sales starting maybe six months out [that time period is a guess on my part]. You can reprice your cruise PRIOR to Final Payment if you see a lower price [either offered to everyone, or a Special Rate] and ASK for that lower price while it is still offered - this repricing is NOT automatic. RCCL/Celebrity no longer offers repricing after Final Payment, but you can take the amount you have paid and transfer it to a higher category cabin if prices have been reduced. Note that there are special sales [eg "Tuesday Specials"] that are for new bookings only, and you can not reprice at those prices.

Thom

We got lucky twice. A few years ago our Infinity cruise to Alaska posted a seniors' rate which resulted in us in choosing to move up to a Sky Suite for the same price as the balcony we originally booked. And we even got a bit of money back. It happened less than a month ago for another cruise we have in December. This time when I tested a fake booking, not only was there a seniors rates but also a residents rate (never thought that would be offered to me here in Canada). But I found the reduced rates dont always apply to all cabin categories.

I do suggest you check regularly as you never know if and when it will come up.

The first time our TA found it and let us know, the most recent time, it was me being curious to see cabin availability and rates. Plus the added bonus is 55+ is considered a senior.

How about student discount? :) I am just 22 year olds, I was saved my money in 3 years to buy one ticket:( to Alaska
The only student discount for cruising that I know of is to get parents to pay for your cruise:cool:. Never worked for me:rolleyes:

Thom

Technically Senior / Residency / Military etc are Special Rates [a fixed price], not a discount [so many dollars or a percentage off]. I'm not trying to be overly picky, but this can be important since in general you can use only one discount or "offer", but most other offers CAN be combined with Senior Rates. It would be rare for Special Rates to be posted this far out from April 2012. The cruise line waits to see how the cruise is selling, and offers Special Rates on cruises that need a boost in sales starting maybe six months out [that time period is a guess on my part]. You can reprice your cruise PRIOR to Final Payment if you see a lower price [either offered to everyone, or a Special Rate] and ASK for that lower price while it is still offered - this repricing is NOT automatic. RCCL/Celebrity no longer offers repricing after Final Payment, but you can take the amount you have paid and transfer it to a higher category cabin if prices have been reduced. Note that there are special sales [eg "Tuesday Specials"] that are for new bookings only, and you can not reprice at those prices.

Good point about special rates vs discounts-- we tend to refer to things colloquially, and the terminology is important here. FYI, there have been a few recent reports of X honoring the senior discount-- excuse me, rate-- after final payment, but I wouldn't count on it.

Are Senior rates combinable with Shareholder benefits , then? I suppose so, not sure, though.

And what about Captain's club specials?

Senior fares are combinable with shareholder benefits.

Thanks! Good to hear that. What about Captain's Club goodies like the current coupon for selected cruises? Anybody knows???
Coupon should be combinable with Senior Rates, but not combinable with Shareholder. Basically you can get only one company issued dollar amount reduction [eg on-board booking OBC, shareholder OBC, CC Coupon, etc], but this may be combined with a Special Rate, and may be combined with Travel Agent OBCs etc. Like everything, there may be exceptions.

Thom

Well, we stirred up lots of replies on this subject -- (most of them kinda confusing).. I am a woman of a certain age and find follow3ing some things difficult oh well - life goes on!!! This is our 3rd cruise booked on x and never has a senior rate ocome up... And i always check the over 55 box.... I never win at bingo either. Have a marvelous fourth. Be careful. Mary

Does anyone know if "Celebrity Passages" apply to discounted rates? Thanks for the info.
The OBC one gets from Celebrity Passages is a Celebrity discount and may not be combined with other company issued discounts [shareholder OBC, CC Coupons, etc]. It may be used with Senior Rates etc [unless they have changed that - I have heard rumors...]

Thom

Message to all is ~ keep checking prices even after you book!!! And, if there is a special you see, let everyone on your Roll Call know about it!!!

We booked our up-coming cruise on last year's Baltic cruise in early July. At that point, we were overjoyed to get a C1 aft cabin for the C3 price + $200 OBC. Never, ever expected to get a better deal!

I've read SO much on CC about saving $$ on booked cabin that I usually check 2/3 times a week - not as regular as PartyAllDaTyme (love that name!!). About 2 months ago C3 cabins were reduced and I E-mailed my TA. Celebrity came back and said they'd honor the price reduction BUT for a C3 cabin not our aft - no way, we kept the aft at the original savings. Meanwhile, the C1 cabins had sky-rocketed in price!

Then about a month ago the Senior Rate came along for C1 cabins and Celebrity honored the price drop and we then saved over $1400 - a dream!!!! Never happened in our other cruises!

Thom is correct - Celebrity waits to see what's selling and when there are a lot of "empty" cabins prices go lower - you just have to keep an eye on the prices!!

Message to all is ~ keep checking prices even after you book!!!...
And don't just check your cabin class. Sometimes a higher category cabin won't be selling and its price will go down - I have gotten ocean views that were priced cheaper than any inside on the ship. I have even seen a suite priced less than an inside:confused::eek: [don't hold your breath for that to happen - that was on a one night repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Seattle - insides at $99, suites at $69!!]

Thom

discounts come and go. We got $200 pp thur am, but fri am it was gone. Ad

can you please let me know when you spot a discount, and celebrity honors it, is this off of an already booked cruise - or on a newly booked cruise. Thanks you. Have a great fourth. Mary

can you please let me know when you spot a discount, and celebrity honors it, is this off of an already booked cruise - or on a newly booked cruise. Thanks you. Have a great fourth. Mary

We booked a cruise several months ago and just got great discounts this week--if you see a better deal by doing a 'dummy' booking, do not hesitate to call your TA or Celebrity!

Archived