Mr. Jones and His Act?

bruinlvr

I've read above and other post that the only 'Far' foriegn ports would be the ABC Islands when sailing between 2 US ports. The Dawn Princess is currently doing a world cruise with various segemnets available.

World Cruise Segment

Sail from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles for 13 days

Itinerary: Ft. Lauderdale, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, Acapulco, Manzanillo, Los Angeles

How is this Aug 2 sailing be legal?

I've read above and other post that the only 'Far' foriegn ports would be the ABC Islands when sailing between 2 US ports. The Dawn Princess is currently doing a world cruise with various segemnets available.

World Cruise Segment

Itinerary: Ft. Lauderdale, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, Acapulco, Manzanillo, Los Angeles

Cartagena is in Columbia. That is "Far" under the PVSA

World Cruise Segment

A "near" foreign port would be Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Central America. A "far" foreign port would be South America (Cartagena is in Colombia which is in South America), the Fanning Islands (the closest far foreign port to Hi), Bermuda, etc. I believe that since Aruba is just off the coast of Colombia that it's also considered "far" as well. It's been a while but when ships didn't go to Cartegena, they stopped in Isla Margarita, which is an island off the coast of Venezuela and is Venezuelan.

Illegal. Unless you stayed overnight in Vancouver and embarked another cruise.

Don't have to stay overnight. Just need to be on a different ship, even with the same cruise line. However, such a schedule may not be available.

There was an effort to change the law a few years back which never went anywhere. This was fortunate because the Senators from NCL, I mean, Hawaii, wanted to strengthen the law. They wanted to require much longer stays outside the US. This would have killed the Hawaiian cruises from the West Coast, which was what NCL wanted to do.

Actually, it would have impacted the entire US cruise industry since it would have required, among other things, 50% of all port time in a foreign port. When it became clear that would seriously impact the Alaskan, New York, Boston, FLL, Miami, etc. cruises, NCL tried to narrow the bill to just HI which made it even more obviously self-serving. Senator Inouyue of HI is the one who tried to modify the PVSA in this way when he should have reclused himself as his wife is the godmother for an NCL ship. Only one NCL ship would have benefitted and thousands of jobs and millions of $ lost to US ports.

The PVSA is still in effect to protect the US shipping industry as well as US airlines and is why you can't, for instance, fly on British Airways or Air France from New York to LA.

I remember finding out about this on CC, and going to the comment page for the Congressional Registrar (or whatever it's called) and added my comment about how it would adversely affect the US ports on the west coast. Fortunately, the governors of Hawaii and California did some lobbying against these changes and got them tabled for good. But it was funny how quickly Senators Inouye and Stevens (of Alaska) were doing the quickstep when it was pointed out that NCL's Alaskan RTs would be in danger. That's when they tried to make it all about the Hawaiian RTs.:rolleyes:

Archived