Snorkel question

Your welcome. I hope you have a great time snorkeling. I'm not a very strong swimmer, and I'm blind as a bat, but once that mask is on, and I'm in the water, I love to paddle around to see all the fish.

We bring our own snorkel and mask but use their flippers. Figured out flippers take up WAY to much room in the suitcase but the other stuff doesnt. Our last cruise in Feb. they were selling the snorkels for $5 but if you go to the port talk and are sitting near the front, there is a chance you will get a free one I did :D

If anyone has a vision issue, there are some companies that sell masks with corrective lenses in place of the standard one. I found a mask in Hawaii that has made the snorkeling so much more fun...

I think my mask is a model called "Seamo Beta"...pretty funny stuff there!!

We just ordered a very nice mask and snorkel set from Amazon for $30. It is made by US Divers and I am extremely pleased, the snorkel does not allow water to get in even underwater. Much better than any that we have used before on cruises. Hope this helps.

Would you happen to remember the price? Just wondering if it is worth bringing one from home or just go with one from the ship.

The last time we cruised they were selling them down on deck zero as you were debarking into the port, you know, right along with where they try to sell you bottled water and stuff right before you go thru security card beep? I think it was $8....mask and snorkel combined, looked cheapish but I'm sure they'd be fine for a half dozen snorkel trips.

We take our own mask/snorkel/fins... partially for sanitary reasons and partially because my hub has ginormous feet and can't fit in the providers gear.

He also uses a mask with corrective lenses.

We bought a big mesh bag and we just carry it with us when we go on excursions.

If you are Costco members, they have a decent set in the $30 range and its got the short fins and a bag to carry it in.

We bring our own snorkel and mask but use their flippers. Figured out flippers take up WAY to much room in the suitcase but the other stuff doesnt. Our last cruise in Feb. they were selling the snorkels for $5 but if you go to the port talk and are sitting near the front, there is a chance you will get a free one I did :D

Thats what we do too. The snorkels on the excursions and sold by CCL are not all that great. We bought a nice dry snorkel and mask at Sport Chalet for $20 4 years ago and they are still working great! Lightweight and easy to pack!

We take our own mask/snorkel/fins... partially for sanitary reasons and partially because my hub has ginormous feet and can't fit in the providers gear.

If you are Costco members, they have a decent set in the $30 range and its got the short fins and a bag to carry it in.

The mesh bag is great! Also serves to hold our towels too.

We bring our own masks and snorkels but leave the fins at home. I use a mask with corrective lenses in it and DD has a very narrow face and has a specially fitted one. The mask and snorkel by themselves don't take up much room in the suitcase. I agree that a mesh bag is great for holding snorkeling stuff.

We bought our own snorkels, masks, fins and boots for the fins because my husband has large feet. We bought them back in 2007 after getting back from our cruise where we had tried snuba and snorkeling. The problem we had was that salt and sand got into the fins and rubbed skin off the heels of our feet, not pleasant at all. The masks kept filling with water and the snorkels hurt our mouths.

The masks that we bought have valves so that if water gets in them you just blow air out your nose and the valves open up and the water drains out.

We have been on three cruises since we bought all of our own gear and haven't been able to use them yet because our excursions keep getting canceled due to high winds and tides. We are setting sail again in September and this time we hope to finally be able to use our snorkel gear.

Just a quick question regarding corrective lens masks - do they cost about the same as a pair of glasses run you or are they more expensive? I can no longer wear contacts and I would love to snorkle again, but I am not gonna risk swimming without some correction.

I did snorkle for the first time without any correction help and yes, you could see alot under the water, but nothing of course above the water. That was years ago - when I was a mere 20/300 in each eye. Today, I only wish my vision was still that good...

I always bring my own snorkel and mask for the sanitary reasons the OP mentioned, but I will use the excursions' flippers. No need to drag those bulky things from home. Since I have a moustache, I also want my mask to fit right too, with no leakage. A bit of vaseline coating the mask where it meets my 'stache helps.

If you're booking your excursion through Carnival, the snorkle guides are good about cleaning the snorkles. They keep them in a bucket of soapy stuff. I would probably bring my own if I were booking outside Carnival.

One note about the snorkle set Carnival sells... they're only $5 bucks because they're cheap. They leak and hurt your mouth and they also sell out quickly so you can't depend on getting a set. My mom is a bit of a germaphobe so we bought a set for $30 each in Cozumel while we were waiting for the rest of our excursion group to assemble.

If anyone has a vision issue, there are some companies that sell masks with corrective lenses in place of the standard one. I found a mask in Hawaii that has made the snorkeling so much more fun...I think my mask is a model called "Seamo Beta"...pretty funny stuff there!!

Our first couple cruises, we just had a regular mask and only saw blurry objects swimming past. This last cruise, we bought a snorkel and mask with stock corrective lenses and it has been like night and day for us. Sure, it cost us an extra $50 (25/lens) to get them, but we're both blind as a bat without them so it was worth it to us. We now use the snorkels & masks to swim lengths at the pool 3x a week.

I just cannot imagine putting a mouthpiece in my mouth that has had innumerable mouths previously on it! (i know, they're supposedly sanitized, but still). We also have a mesh bag, bought at the dollar store, that works wonderfully to carry the fins, masks & snorkels in.

Just a quick question regarding corrective lens masks - do they cost about the same as a pair of glasses run you or are they more expensive? I can no longer wear contacts and I would love to snorkle again, but I am not gonna risk swimming without some correction.

I did snorkle for the first time without any correction help and yes, you could see alot under the water, but nothing of course above the water. That was years ago - when I was a mere 20/300 in each eye. Today, I only wish my vision was still that good...

I just got my DS a mask with corrective lenses for about $60. If you google there are several vendors around that price. You will need to have a copy of your prescription.

The vendor I used (sorry can't remember the name) has two levels of corrective lens quality. As I understand it, your prescription will have three numbers on it. The first is for diopters, and addresses the basic level of correction. The other two numbers sort of fine tune your prescription. For $60, you can get a mask made to order which corrects the diopter number for each eye. However if you wanted true eyeglass quality correction you would have to get their true custom mask for around $200.

DS tried it on when it came and our verdict is that while these are not as good as actual glasses, they are good enough for snorkeling.

DS tried it on when it came and our verdict is that while these are not as good as actual glasses, they are good enough for snorkeling.

Agreed. We just used the stock ones they had, which closely match your prescription but not exact. Would rather spend $80 than $200+ for custom made ones. For snorkeling purposes, they work like a charm. Reading a book, not so much lolol. we used a place online, snorkel mart.. bought a combo snorkel & prescription mask, although you can just buy the mask separately if you want.

Do you need to have fins while snorkeling? I imagine it will make it easier, but is there really a big difference?

Since you propel yourself through the water using your feet, yes, fins are indeed necessary. One should never use your arms for forward motion when snorkeling.

If there is a current, especially near reefs on the edge like in Cayman or Belize, fins are a must!

I don't know that you have to have them, but I find it helps a lot. We just changed from full size fins to light weight short fins and they work really well. Not quite so wearing on the legs while swimming, and with the shorter length they fit in the back pack.

We bring our own fins as well as snorkle & mask. Last cruise we decided to "save luggage space" & just use the tour operators' fins in each port. Wow, did we regret it! Their fins were so flimsy we felt like we weren't even wearing any! MUCH more work to maneuver in the water. From now on, we'll take fewer clothes/shoes rather than leave our fins at home.

And to the person who asked if fins were necessary, we'd just say that unless you are a conditioned long-distance swimmer, yes, you need them in the open ocean!

Archived