I hope we pick the right ship!

llt

Any ship is the right ship as long as it's going to where you want to go, when you want to go, and you can pay for the cruise. Smaller does not mean worse and bigger does not mean better.

We were on her last year for the Panama Canal and while there was a late start from San Diego due to engine problems, she was fine from that point on. Not the best dining we have had on HAL ships but still a lot to like. Others will report having such a bad time they will never sail her again. :confused:

I have heard similar stories about other ships we have sailed, yet we ourselves have never had any of the same problems. It is unfortunate there remain these ongoing reports because that means some people did not get what they expected and that is not fair when others paying the same prices do get a very satisfactory experience.

Wish we could tell you if there are specific areas or cabins to avoid, but no one yet has been able to put that sort of data bank together. We were in a suite and had no problems. Friends on the same trip were in an ocean-view room and also reported no problems.

One of the main complaints is the A/C system. Our room was cool at first, and then just fine after we figured out how to set the temperature and realied there was a longer delay between setting the temperature dial and when the room temperature would change. The cabin easily stayed in a broad comfort zone for us. I even monitored the temperature with a special thermometer because there was such an ongoing debate about her "failed" A/C implying this was shipwide, which it clearly was not.

But depending on where you are going I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be in one of the cabins that might consistently have A/C problems - we just don't know which ones those would be.

What was most curious was learning how my own subjective perception of "temperature" could change depending on the outside temperature - some times the exact same temperature in the cabin would feel cool and sometimes warmer when first entering the cabin.

So numbers alone for the cabin temperature are not the real issue, but one's own subjective response to any given cabin temperature setting - one's own comfort standards and expectations play a lot into this so that make this or any ship's A/C issues a very different matter.

Best wishes and hope you enjoy your trip - she was fine and had a great itinerary going eastwards through the Panama Canal - really terrific from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale. We are still special ordering our coffee from the Argovia coffee plantation we visited in Chiapas which gets shipped in 8 kilo orders directly from the coffee plantation and even with shipping is cheaper than other premium brands. We loved that shore excursion on the dear Statendam.:p

We've not been on the Statendam but she's the only one of the smaller and older HAL S class ships we've not been on up to and including the Maasdam earlier this year. Even though the Maasdam was about to go into dry dock we had no real feeling that the ship was tired, run down, etc. Quite frankly I've never been on a HAL ship that looked like it was on its "last legs" so I'd not be the least bit worried about cruising on the Statendam.

gOING ON THE STATENDAM, IN MARCH.DO YOU THINK SHE`S TO OLD? WE LIKE THAT SHE IS SMALL,JUST HOPE IT WAS THE RIGHT SHIP FOR US,THANKS,

Not knowing anything about you it'd be hard to make that determination on your behalf. I'm sure I'd love her, warts and all. It is bothersome when there are AC and plumbing problems on board - but that happens on many lines and many ships. As a rule, I like smaller tonnage. Some of my favorite cruises were on smaller and older ships (old Westerdam, Premier's Sea Breeze).

I like HAL service and ambiance. I like open decks, relaxation and a less intrusive environment. Check out the reviews for sure, but remember that some people are born to complain. Let us know what you liked and didn't like about your past vacations and cruises and then let those who have experienced Statendam tell you if their experience of the ship matches your desires and expectations.

: )

Thanks all, i am sure we will have a great time,and hope for the best on the ac, it`s a great itinerary,panama canal,departing from FLL ending SAN DIEGO.this will be are 4th time on a holland america,just hope we like her.

Thanks all, i am sure we will have a great time,and hope for the best on the ac, it`s a great itinerary,panama canal,departing from FLL ending SAN DIEGO.this will be are 4th time on a holland america,just hope we like her.

Think about that Puerto Chiapas, Mexico Coffee and Flower Plantation shore excursion - pricey, but one of the best we have ever taken if your Panama Canal direction includes this port.

I love the smaller ships. We were on the old Ms. New Amsterdam years ago, and she was old then, but probably one of the most beautiful ships we've been on. We later sailed on the Veendam and it was not to our liking and she was new at the time. We've been on Maasdam, Volendam and the Zaandam. They were all wonderful. We do prefer the ones with the mid ship elevators. Not sure if the Statendam has that or not, but it makes it a lot easier to get around for my husband who has mobility issues.

The biggest problem with a/c on ships is due to the inconsideration of other passengers. There are some who don't feel that the notices to keep one's verandah door closed don't apply to them. While inside their cabin, they need the fresh air, to hear the sounds of the sea, whatever... Thus they will prop open their door - shutting off the a/c to every cabin on the same a/c line. So, there is no way to predict if that will be an issue on your cruise.

We had a cruise this year that crossed the equator. It was hot and humid, even more than we'd expected. In each and every port we could see at least 7-8 cabins with propped open verandah doors. The temp in our cabin never got below 76F (24C) even with the a/c cranked all the way down.

All I can do is wish you luck and that you'll sail with considerate passengers.

The biggest problem with a/c on ships is due to the inconsideration of other passengers. There are some who don't feel that the notices to keep one's verandah door closed don't apply to them. While inside their cabin, they need the fresh air, to hear the sounds of the sea, whatever... Thus they will prop open their door - shutting off the a/c to every cabin on the same a/c line. So, there is no way to predict if that will be an issue on your cruise.

We had a cruise this year that crossed the equator. It was hot and humid, even more than we'd expected. In each and every port we could see at least 7-8 cabins with propped open verandah doors. The temp in our cabin never got below 76F (24C) even with the a/c cranked all the way down.

Thank you, Mary Ellen!

Interesting comment, Mary Ann! I wonder if these people would consider propping their doors open while cranking down the A/C at home! :eek: Talk about thoughtless!

What is old? You would be surprise how old many of the airplanes we fly on are. Just concentrate on the Panama Cruise. To us any of the HAL ships would do if we could do the Panama Cruise again! We were on the newly decorate Ryndam in Dec. Everything was beautiful. Only problem was a water leak in ceiling at Wajang Theater. No one sat in that seat and life went on.

Archived