Creepy Call from Carnival

dettlja

I was reading the forums this am like I always do and I ran across that thread about the insurance. I dont normally use travel insurance, or buy extended warranties. But, I decided to get a quote from travel guard just to see how expensive it is. Whoa, $175! I'll pass.

About 15 minutes later I get a call from Carnival... did we have any last minute questions? Did we want to buy insurance? :eek: Are the stalking me via google or what? :p Prob just a coincidence, but creepy none the less.

Jaimee

I was reading the forums this am like I always do and I ran across that thread about the insurance. I dont normally use travel insurance, or buy extended warranties. But, I decided to get a quote from travel guard just to see how expensive it is. Whoa, $175! I'll pass.

About 15 minutes later I get a call from Carnival... did we have any last minute questions? Did we want to buy insurance? :eek: Are the stalking me via google or what? :p Prob just a coincidence, but creepy none the less.

Jaimee

I do believe that CCL stalks. I have read about people getting calls several minutes after they have been on the site checking cruise prices for drop. They said that the PVP asked why they were checking so much :eek:and if they wanted to book another cruise.

It IS creepy when things like that happen.

There are all sorts of prices for trip insurance.

We always buy some when we book cruises.

We think of it as part of the cost of the trip.

Travelguard is only 1 company.

Have you compared prices on : http://www.insuremytrip.com

We don't use Carnival insurance because my husband has a previously existing health issue and they don't insure for that.

Jaimee

That is funny! I would check other sites for insurance and if you have American Express, they have travel insurance as well as if you are a member of AAA. Even if you are willing to risk missing the ship, please consider just having an accident. Unexpected stuff happens.

Last November when I was at Megan Bay (St. Thomas) a passenger fell on the beach and was taken to the hospital. They likely missed their ship because it was near sailing time and you now how slow emergency rooms can be. I would look for the insurance at different sites. Maybe CC has something.

DSCF1804.jpg

Megan Bay '10

Our group of 6 departs on Fantasy one week from today. I got the same call from Carnival about two weeks ago telling me they wanted "to review a few last minute details." It turns out the call was really to sell travel insurance and medical emergency coverage. When I told the woman from Carnival I was not interested, the hard sell really started. Did I have $25,000 for air evacuation? Did my medical insurance cover potentially thousands of dollars in hospital bills in a foreign country? No manner of me declining her sales pitch seemed to work for her. Finally I just thanked her for her time and hung up.

Some people want such coverage; some don't. I happen to have reasonable coverage through my credit card and AAA, but I don't buy extra insurance as a matter of habit. The hard sell from Carnival annoyed me, but I'm guessing it won't bother me as much seven days from now when I'm sitting on my balcony watching the Caribbean go by . . . . . .

Last year was the first time I had rec'd one of those calls...I rec'd a voice mail from Carnival asking me to call them, I thought I may actually be getting my first upsell call but no such luck. I called back and the rep said she noticed I hadn't purchased insurance for our trip and before I could speak she said Ms F the average air evacuation from a ship cost $25,000 per person and that statistics show that passengers 30 and under are most likely to be the ones needing to be medically evacuated and Ms. F that includes everyone in your party of 6 except for you so if I could get you to sign up for the insurance I know I would feel much better :rolleyes: I just laughed and told her we purchased insurance on our own and she said oh ok have a nice cruise Ms F, this is our 7th cruise and the first time they have called me for anything. I also visit the Carnival site quite often and always log in and have never rec'd a call from them about booking a cruise. I mock book all the time to check rates, I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to their calls. Have a great cruise OP :)

I don't know about tracking by CCL but we always buy travel insurance when leaving the U.S. Knowing you're possible cost of getting health care in a foreign country & then getting transfered back to the U.S. is worth the extra expense even if you never use it.

We never purchase the insurance from the cruise line or travel agent. There are too many sites where you can compare and save. We also never purchase the insurance until we make the final payment due date. Until then what are you covering, it's all 100% refundable.

I am one of those that never buys the service contracts on appliances or such. Most of the time I can fix it myself.

I never purchased trip insurance before our first cruise last year, either.

However, evac from the ship is not covered by my health insurance. I know what a bill for $25K would do to my finaces. The price for a good complete policy is about the same as sales taxes.

Accidents happen. Not to mention, a lot of us are in our 50's. Prime age for Heart Attacks.

You take insurance with hope that won't need it.

If you need it, you'll be glad you have it.

$175 instead of possibly $25K.

Not to mention all the incidental charges you'd recoup in the event of an emergency. IDK, it just makes sense to me, because there are special circumstances the OP is just not taking into consideration...You just might be in the middle of an ocean when suddenly you require emergency medial attention!

Odds are you'll never need this insurance, but what if you do? Can you afford to be out $25K? The $175(mine was about $160) I'll never miss.

Saavy?:cool:

My cruise insurance for an 8 day cruise is $82.00 per person and covers prior conditions if purchased at the time of the cruise down payment. This is a very important detail for many cruisers. The comprehensive coverage is $1,500 per person and there are many other coverages like trip concellation (Up to trip cost), accident and sickness medical expense ($10,000), emmergency evacuation and repatriation of remains ($100,000), baggabe and personal effects ($1,000), accidental death and dismemberment ($100,000). John Heald just had a story how only 11 pieces were recently recovered from 38 missing pieces on a cruise at Barcelona. So $164 for two people can cover quite a bit.

I have only NOT taken insurance once. That was for the cruise we took this past 6/13/11, Glory five day to Canada. I was nervous and felt like I was rolling the dice. A few weeks before we boarded the ship, I poked around looking to buy insurance for the trip. Soon after I got a call from a female rep from Carnival. She was determined to give me a HARD sell on their policy. She was too forceful and even implied that the Canadian healthcare system would turn away Americans. I hung up on her. We enjoyed the cruise and all was well.

Jaimee

for how many people? We are cruising in January- and each person was 82.00 very cheap price to pay in case of emergencies

Btw, I have also discovered that carnival stalks their website when I got a call after looking at excursions. When I explained that I use my own travel agent they left me alone. My computer saved my login and pw which is how they knew it was me, boy was that creepy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I received a call from my Carnival PPV and she said "I saw you were looking at ____ on the website and wanted to check if you had questions". It didn't bother me, in fact I was impressed (once again) with their service. If I don't want them to know I'm looking I just use Carnival mobile or don't log in.

Jaimee

Yep, they're big on making use of Google Analytics and tracking cookies on their site. Can't blame them. I've just learned to use private browsing when looking at potential cruises on their site. In Internet Explorer 8 use 'InPrivate' mode, Firefox use 'Private Browsing', and in Chrome use 'InCognito' mode. Browsing in this mode will keep them from storing tracking cookies and will tell Analytics to not track your browsing.

Archived