What Happens On Sailaway?

marc62

Hi All

We are on our first cruise with HAL on 24th July from Dover to Norway on board Ryndam. Could you tell me if anything goes on at Sailaway on board like a band etc around the pool deck or main deck?

Many thanks

Marc

Hi All

We are on our first cruise with HAL on 24th July from Dover to Norway on board Ryndam. Could you tell me if anything goes on at Sailaway on board like a band etc around the pool deck or main deck?

Many thanks

Marc

Typically there is a sailaway party with a small four or five piece band. Sometimes it's at the aft pool, sometimes it's held around the main Lido pool. Usually they have a couple of special drinks in HAL souvenir plastic glasses. Personally the aft pool sailaways are a lot more fun but then again most of our cruising has been in the Caribbean and during good weather. Bad weather, like cold or rain, might force the party into the Lido pool area where they can close, or partially close, the top.

not free drinks and you pay more for the special glasses. We usually are somewhere else taking pics. Although sailing away from St Lucia we were thirsty and decided to go to the sailaway and saw a most beautiful sunset!! No extra charge for that!!;)

On our last cruise, it was held in the Crow's Nest - and was our first introduction to that ship's HalCats, HAL's in-house band. The singer was awful and so loud we beat a hasty retreat. Drinks were being sold in special souvenir glasses, and all seats were occupied by people who were trying to converse over the noise. And that's about it - not much goes on, really. Better, imho, to be on deck taking pictures and enjoying the sail away. But check it out first - we've sometimes had nice steel drum bands, caribbean style music and a more festive atmosphere.

On my last cruise (it was one of the long ones) there was a great sailaway party with FREE drinks in those fun tropical glasses as well as champagne. Funny story though.....I asked for one withOUT alchohol and was told...."Oh...that won't be free!!" I just laughed and drank water!

Archived