Anyone sail with a Milk allergy?

RCKM43

Can anyone tell me about their experience with sailing with a milk allergy? Did you find that they had trouble accommodating you?

We recently found out that our DD has a milk allergy - (she is also allergic to oranges and shellfish and chocolate) - We haven't traveled with her since we discovered the allergies.

I see that they say Soy milk is readily available - does anyone know what brand it is? What can you tell me about sailing with a milk allergy - where they able to do anything special for you or did you just miss out on a lot of foods?

While I know it is not exactly the same, I hope our recent experience will be of some comfort to you.

We traveled in April through the Panama Canal with a friend who has an extreme egg allergy. We also had select dining for the first time which worried me because we would not have the same waitstaff every night.

However the maitre d' coordinated it all beautifully. Our friend was presented with the next night's menu every day so that he could choose what would work for him and because often there was not an egg-free dessert listed they would make a custom surprise for him.

I would suggest you talk to the special needs department as soon as possible which may insure having your DD's soy milk of choice on board. Once you board be sure to let the appropriate dining room know and they will take it from there.

Have a wonderful trip and try not to worry in advance. Just be prepared.

GC

I sailed on Millie with a milk allergy in Feb. Celebrity was very helpful. As Going Costal says, they will bring you the menu the night before to look over. It seemed like everything I picked couldn't be made without diary, so they would just ask what I wanted and would bring that the next night. For example, I asked for spaghetti, Indian, etc, and they would bring it. Please note, you should ask about everything. I find most bread is dairy free, but all the bread Celebrity put on the table in the evenings had dairy. After the first night, they made special bread for me each night.

Your DD's doctor has probably told you this, but my doctor say to be wary of the buffet because it's so easy to get cross contamination.

Also, if your DD has a sweet tooth, you may want to bring her some packages cookies or something. The dairy free dessert is almost always sorbet, which can get a bit old after a few nights.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I'm not sure what you mean by "milk allergy". If you mean lactose intolerance, I can empathize, as I also suffer from it. If you have an allergy to other milk components, I can't be any help.

I have found that I can tolerate moderate amounts of lactose by taking lactase tablets. These provide the enzyme needed to properly digest lactose (milk sugar).

With discussion with the food service staff, I have been able to determine which food items contain milk products, and either avoid them, or ensure that I take lactase tablets to relieve symptoms.

I sailed on Millie with a milk allergy in Feb. Celebrity was very helpful. As Going Costal says, they will bring you the menu the night before to look over. It seemed like everything I picked couldn't be made without diary, so they would just ask what I wanted and would bring that the next night. For example, I asked for spaghetti, Indian, etc, and they would bring it. Please note, you should ask about everything. I find most bread is dairy free, but all the bread Celebrity put on the table in the evenings had dairy. After the first night, they made special bread for me each night.

Your DD's doctor has probably told you this, but my doctor say to be wary of the buffet because it's so easy to get cross contamination.

Also, if your DD has a sweet tooth, you may want to bring her some packages cookies or something. The dairy free dessert is almost always sorbet, which can get a bit old after a few nights.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you - I DO have some questions for you!! Where they able to make you any desserts? What flavors of sorbets did they have?

The milk allergy is a new thing for us - DD woke up with hives one day and we are trying to sort it all out. So far that is only one of several things she is allergic to - but one of the harder ones. She apparently can have things with milk baked in it - so she should be okay with breads - but she can't have milk, yogurt, ice creams, cheeses etc. Luckily while she tested positive it isn't a severe allergy. She will be happy with sorbet because she has been on a strict elimination diet and we are only now working in more foods. Unfortunately she is also allergic to chocolate, oranges and shellfish.

The allergist isn't too concerned with the cross contamination - but can you tell me did you have to always eat in the dining room? She just turned 4 and so I know she won't do well with long meals - I had planned to have her eat on our deck or maybe at the buffet or grill so she can eat and then play and not disturb others. Will we be able to get the dining room meals to our room (even IF I have to go to the dining room and bring it to the room myself?)

I'm not sure what you mean by "milk allergy". If you mean lactose intolerance, I can empathize, as I also suffer from it. If you have an allergy to other milk components, I can't be any help.

I have found that I can tolerate moderate amounts of lactose by taking lactase tablets. These provide the enzyme needed to properly digest lactose (milk sugar).

With discussion with the food service staff, I have been able to determine which food items contain milk products, and either avoid them, or ensure that I take lactase tablets to relieve symptoms.

No unfortunately she is not lactose intolerant - but recently tested positive for a milk allergy. My DH goes through times when he is lactose intolerant so I know what that can be like. I wish because that would be much easier. We thought she was lactose intolerant b.c she would complain after eating cheese or dairy but was okay when having it cooked in things like bread. But we did test her and she was positive as an allergy which surprised us all.

Hi:), to answer your question. Yes, you can order what is offered

for dinner in the dining room off the room service menu:) You won't

have to go get it. She is just a little thing...hope everything goes

well!

quote:

"but can you tell me did you have to always eat in the dining room? She just turned 4 and so I know she won't do well with long meals - I had planned to have her eat on our deck or maybe at the buffet or grill so she can eat and then play and not disturb others. Will we be able to get the dining room meals to our room (even IF I have to go to the dining room and bring it to the room myself?)"

Hi:), to answer your question. Yes, you can order what is offered

for dinner in the dining room off the room service menu:) You won't

have to go get it. She is just a little thing...hope everything goes

well!

quote:

"but can you tell me did you have to always eat in the dining room? She just turned 4 and so I know she won't do well with long meals - I had planned to have her eat on our deck or maybe at the buffet or grill so she can eat and then play and not disturb others. Will we be able to get the dining room meals to our room (even IF I have to go to the dining room and bring it to the room myself?)"

Thank you! That will be perfect! We figured that the girls could eat on our balcony then they can eat on their schedule and if they want they can come to the dining room - but I figure they would be happier on the balcony and then going to the fun factory at night. I just want to keep their options open. Until we get a better handle on her allergies I want to be prepared for our options before we board.

We are Elite with Celebrity but haven't cruised with our children before this will be their 1st cruise. The whole allergy thing is new to us as we just woke up one morning with hives and we are in the process of working it all out. We are traveling with family and are excited but a bit nervous because we haven't traveled with our DD since we discovered she has food allergies.

You are going to be next to her on that balcony, right?:)

Well I was thinking I might chain them up on the balcony and then go to dinner - but I'm thinking that might be greatly frowned upon...LOL Only joking...

LOL with a 2 and a 4 year old - yeah I'm thinking we won't be more than a foot away at any time...LOL. I actually would want to sit with her while she eats - we enjoy our family meals. Luckily, we are traveling with family who will be very helpful with the girls - and besides DH works long hours so we will be doing as much family time as possible.

Well I was thinking I might chain them up on the balcony and then go to dinner - but I'm thinking that might be greatly frowned upon...LOL Only joking...

LOL with a 2 and a 4 year old - yeah I'm thinking we won't be more than a foot away at any time...LOL. I actually would want to sit with her while she eats - we enjoy our family meals. Luckily, we are traveling with family who will be very helpful with the girls - and besides DH works long hours so we will be doing as much family time as possible.

Ahhh...I missed the other part of the post. You have 2 little ones!:)

So it will definitely be "family time"...all the time;)

Hope everyone has a great cruise:D

Ahhh...I missed the other part of the post. You have 2 little ones!:)

So it will definitely be "family time"...all the time;)

Hope everyone has a great cruise:D

Thank you! We aren't huge night people so I think it will be fun to just show the girls the ship. I am bringing a small blow up pool for our balcony for the little one. I expect that the 4 year old will want to do the Fun Factory most of the day as she is very social. They are very cute (but I'm biased) but good girls. They will have their grandparents on board as well and so they will be getting lots of attention. DD#2 will enjoy just wandering around and we plan to take her to the fun factory a bit (we will just take turns staying there with her). It should be fun - they LOVE music so I figure they will enjoy dancing to the band up by the pool too.

Thank you - I DO have some questions for you!! Where they able to make you any desserts? What flavors of sorbets did they have?

The milk allergy is a new thing for us - DD woke up with hives one day and we are trying to sort it all out. So far that is only one of several things she is allergic to - but one of the harder ones. She apparently can have things with milk baked in it - so she should be okay with breads - but she can't have milk, yogurt, ice creams, cheeses etc. Luckily while she tested positive it isn't a severe allergy. She will be happy with sorbet because she has been on a strict elimination diet and we are only now working in more foods. Unfortunately she is also allergic to chocolate, oranges and shellfish.

The allergist isn't too concerned with the cross contamination - but can you tell me did you have to always eat in the dining room? She just turned 4 and so I know she won't do well with long meals - I had planned to have her eat on our deck or maybe at the buffet or grill so she can eat and then play and not disturb others. Will we be able to get the dining room meals to our room (even IF I have to go to the dining room and bring it to all.

Mostly I had sorbet. Every once in a while they would surprise me with another dessert. I usually couldn't identify what in was (one looked like a pile of bread crumbs!), but they were pretty good.

I recommend calling and letting the special needs department know. You'll find a letter in your stateroom when you arrive letting you know they are aware and will accommodate you. Then, the first afternoon, I would go talk to the maitre d' and let him know that your daughter with the milk allergy is only 4, and ask if they would be able to make some of her favorite foods. I'm sure they will be able to. We toured the kitchen, and there is a special area where they make food for the special dietary needs meals. Celebrity really went out of their way to help me, and I'm sure they will with your daughter.

I would be willing to bet that the kids club people will be willing to get special lunches ordered for her too. Although, she way be perfectly happy with the make your own sandwich from the buffet, or something similar.

Shore excursions were actually more of a problem for me that the ship, so you also may want to pack some snacks to take on shore. I usually try to carry a dairy free granola bar with me for emergencies.

Dealing with a dairy allergy can be very stressful, I know. I'm happy to help any way I can.

My son has severe milk, egg, peanut, and beef allergies. We have sailed on more than 10 cruises. He started cruising at age 10. We were very afraid when we first started cruising.

When you board the ship go to the Maitre’de. He will make sure all foods are checked. Tell him what your daughter likes to eat. My son was limited in what foods he was able to eat and we have never had a problem.

Do not be afraid to ask if there is dairy in any food item especially bread. They will check. They may even bake without dairy just for your daughter.

Bring your epi-pen. Make sure it isn’t expired. My son has never had to use his on any cruise.

We have sailed on Celebrity, Carnival, RCl, and NCL. Celebrity was the first cruise we sailed in 2000. They bent over backwards to accomodate him.

Bring dairy free snacks with you.

Enjoy your cruise.

DW is lactose interent. I am/was allergic to milk. Not certain if this is still the case (you grow out of some allergies) but since I never drank milk as a child, I do not miss it whatsoever. Although not able to dring milk, I was able to eat modest amounts of cheese and milk cooked in something never seemed to bother me. DD is also lactose intolerant but has no issue with cheese or milk cooked in foods.

Mostly I had sorbet. Every once in a while they would surprise me with another dessert. I usually couldn't identify what in was (one looked like a pile of bread crumbs!), but they were pretty good.

I recommend calling and letting the special needs department know. You'll find a letter in your stateroom when you arrive letting you know they are aware and will accommodate you. Then, the first afternoon, I would go talk to the maitre d' and let him know that your daughter with the milk allergy is only 4, and ask if they would be able to make some of her favorite foods. I'm sure they will be able to. We toured the kitchen, and there is a special area where they make food for the special dietary needs meals. Celebrity really went out of their way to help me, and I'm sure they will with your daughter.

I would be willing to bet that the kids club people will be willing to get special lunches ordered for her too. Although, she way be perfectly happy with the make your own sandwich from the buffet, or something similar.

Shore excursions were actually more of a problem for me that the ship, so you also may want to pack some snacks to take on shore. I usually try to carry a dairy free granola bar with me for emergencies.

Dealing with a dairy allergy can be very stressful, I know. I'm happy to help any way I can.

Thank you!!! that was really helpful!!! - You mentioned sandwiches - so far we have only tried a nitrate and casein free cold cuts with her. Do you know if they have casein free cold cuts? Or what did you do? Do they have fresh carved meats for sandwiches?

This is all really new (we only found out on Tuesday) - so I'm trying to figure things out - as we are still testing her and trying to get all her allergies lined up. I have called the special needs department and they weren't very helpful they basically said send us a form with her allergies listed then when you board you speak with the maitre d' about whether they CAN accommodate her.

Can you tell me what granola bars you recommend that are milk free? Also do you have any cookies that you recommend? (She is allergic to chocolate too which doesn't help).

BTW do you drink soy? Can anyone tell me what brand of soy they have?

Can I call and request that they have vanilla silk soy for my DD? Will they do that?

My son has severe milk, egg, peanut, and beef allergies. We have sailed on more than 10 cruises. He started cruising at age 10. We were very afraid when we first started cruising.

When you board the ship go to the Maitre’de. He will make sure all foods are checked. Tell him what your daughter likes to eat. My son was limited in what foods he was able to eat and we have never had a problem.

Do not be afraid to ask if there is dairy in any food item especially bread. They will check. They may even bake without dairy just for your daughter.

Bring your epi-pen. Make sure it isn’t expired. My son has never had to use his on any cruise.

We have sailed on Celebrity, Carnival, RCl, and NCL. Celebrity was the first cruise we sailed in 2000. They bent over backwards to accomodate him.

Bring dairy free snacks with you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you!! This makes me feel so much better. We are only starting to get a handle on all of this - it is new to us. We already have an epi pen - she only got her 1st one in March. The allergist is giving us a second one "just in case".

Can I ask what type of things your DS would eat? DD has been on an elimination diet and we are only working things back in now. But she can't have milk, chocolate, citrus, berries, or shellfish.

Does anyone know if they have Cheerios? she loves to snack on those and fruit.

Don't worry if the special needs department wasn't too helpful. When you get on the ship, they really bend over backwards to help.

For the sandwich station, my husband said there was carved meats. He couldn't remember if they were with the sandwich station, or not though. I don't really eat meat, so I didn't check about the casin issue on the cold cuts.

I eat Natural Valley granola bars. I get them from either Target or Safeway. I also really like Annie's organic bunny fruit snacks. For cookies, on the go I eat oreos. At home I like the Simply cookie dough from Pilsbury. I'n not allergic to chocolate (I just can't usually eat it because of the milk) so you should double check on that though.

I've tried a variety of milks, and found I prefer rice milk. The cold kind, not the boxed kind. For butter, we use Earth Balance. I prefer the soy free kind, but any is fine. It works great for cooking, and my husband will even use it on his toast if he's out of regular butter.

Good luck with the rest of your daughter's testing!

He ate cheerios and Canadian bacon for breakfast. For lunch and dinner he had ham/turkey sandwich on white bread (no dairy), french fries cooked in sunflower oil (most ships use sunflower or soy) . They rotated his sandwich for dinner. He ate fresh fruit, it is available all day. We took snacks he was able to eat on-board. He ate the french fries because no other food items were cooked in the oil.

He ate cheerios and Canadian bacon for breakfast. For lunch and dinner he had ham/turkey sandwich on white bread (no dairy), french fries cooked in sunflower oil (most ships use sunflower or soy) . They rotated his sandwich for dinner. He ate fresh fruit, it is available all day. We took snacks he was able to eat on-board. He ate the french fries because no other food items were cooked in the oil.

Do you know what brand of soy milk they have? Also did they have vanilla soy milk?

Archived