Freedom Of The Seas

Here's a dumb question.......what is a hump cabin?????? How is it different, and does it have a balcony????? What is the cabin #?

Asking because we are planning a April 07 cruise on either the Freedom or Mariner.

Thanks!!!!

A bump cabin usually has a little bit more room on the balcony. The bump kinda extends out alittle bit more than the other balconies do. We had one on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. They only have a few of them, so if you want one, just as your TA to reserve one.

• 2 weeks later...

So what does everyone think of the hot tub sticking out in the bump section towards the front of the ship? Now that really looks cool. Can't wait to try that. The other ideas so far are pretty cool too. I do hope the cabins are alittle bit bigger along with the balcony.

Is there still a possibly that a bowling alley can be on a lower deck? Is it possible that there will be a planetarium? Any hints if there will be anything else new to the cruise industry?

-Matt

• 3 weeks later...
We had a hump cabin on our last cruise sailing and really enjoyed the extra space. You will love it. But then again as long as we are out there sailing (and not home or at work), any cabin is great.

This will be out first aft and I'm hoping we'll love it. I have heard that some people like them and some don't. I guess it's all personal preference. I can't wait to Dec 2006 to go.

I'm actually already looking at booking our Alaska cruise for Aug 2007 - don't like cruisng much do we:D . We are planning on doing a cruisetour with RCCL on Vision.

I've sailed with friends that booked an aft. We had a D1 balcony in the center of the ship. It was nice because we did less walking than our friends. However, we're selling on the Freedom Maiden and there are many on the roll call thread that booked aft because they've enjoyed them so much in the past. We booked D1 center again near elevators because Freedom will be much larger than a Voyager class and because the aft balconies booked within a few minutes for the maiden voyage. You shoud feel priveleged to try an aft balcony. Have fun!

So what does everyone think of the hot tub sticking out in the bump section towards the front of the ship? Now that really looks cool. Can't wait to try that. The other ideas so far are pretty cool too. I do hope the cabins are alittle bit bigger along with the balcony.

I really can't wait to see the view from the hottubs! I'm afraid it will definitely be a popular area...:p

I've sailed with friends that booked an aft. We had a D1 balcony in the center of the ship. It was nice because we did less walking than our friends. However, we're selling on the Freedom Maiden and there are many on the roll call thread that booked aft because they've enjoyed them so much in the past. We booked D1 center again near elevators because Freedom will be much larger than a Voyager class and because the aft balconies booked within a few minutes for the maiden voyage. You shoud feel priveleged to try an aft balcony. Have fun!

I love the Aft because of the balcony as well as the extra walking. I only gain 5lbs instead of 10lbs. It is also much quieter at night because there is less people walking the halls. You can't go wrong with an AFT.

I love the Aft because of the balcony as well as the extra walking. I only gain 5lbs instead of 10lbs. It is also much quieter at night because there is less people walking the halls. You can't go wrong with an AFT.

So true. Our freinds that had the aft, well his wife had just broke her leg in four places about 5 weeks before the cruise; which she had surgery. Fortunately, she borrowed a scooter to help her with her mobility; otheriwise she couldn't have went.

• 4 weeks later...

Gingras and Gary, if you're going on Oct. 15 06, there is a cruisecritic group cruise going for that ... see http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=82 .

Would love to have you join us! Among the perks are a bottle of wine every night ...

I think one can transfer bookings already made to this group; I'm sure the group leader could answer that question.

Regards,

Jan (janrj7)

They keep indicating that the rooms are bigger. Does everyone really think that they are making ALL the rooms larger or just the suites? We usually book the D-1 cabins and could really use less rooms as a whole and bigger cabin in the ones they have left. Kind of like the airlines. Take out a couple of rows and give us some leg room. Esp. since none of the planes now adays are full anyway.

• 5 months later...

When my father called me to tell me that my nephew wanted to go on this ship for something they call a “Grand Adventure” we couldn’t pass up the chance to go ourselves. (The Grandparents take the Grandchildren on a trip of their choice.) It became so popular we formed a small group on GroupGetaways.com for August 20th.

One of the best features on Freedom Of The Seas are the new “Family Style Suites” on the ship. We’re taking our kids for their first cruise and I can’t think of a better ship. (My 4 year old daughter my consider Disney a better ship, since she’s so into Disney Princess.) We booked Cabin 7307 Inside Family Suite right along Promenade Way on deck 7 and they will have their own room and my wife and I have our own space. From what I’ve been reading in some of the Trade Magazines, these new Family Style rooms will become a bigger part of the newer ships being built.

In terms of size…I’m a guy…and bigger is always better! The amount of activities on this ship makes the ship the destination and the ports of call an interesting side bar. (We’ve been on several Western Caribbean itineraries so far.)

With Freedom being a new ship, I would expect it to be a little higher in price, and do not believe it’s entirely out of line. Personally, I would have picked a more economical time of year to go, but we also wanted to spend time with family, and their worth it.

I also think the promotional web site for Freedom Of The Seas is the best I've ever seen. I'm on it at least once a week.

• 2 months later...

We booked on March 4th (the very first day of booking.) We held 3 aft cabins for 9/26/06 1404, 1400 and 1700. We were so excited and the price was good for September. But we had to hope and pray that my husband would be able to get this time off. We had to wait till January when his company does the vacation picking. WELL, he couldn't get it off!! So we had to cancel and change the date. Not only did we have to pay more to move it up to August, the prices went up and we had to pay more again!!!

We were so worried we wouldn't get our aft cabins. We did luckily and we also had to go one floor lower to keep down the cost.

The best of all was even though we are paying alittle more, it will be all worth it because we are actually gonna be gone for our anniversary date!

Can't wait, 6 months and counting!!

Husband, myself and 2 kids booked D1 category aft cabin, Rm 1704 to be exact sailing Aug 27-Sept 3.icon10.gif Renewing our vows while docked in Jamaica. To say we're excited would be an understatement. Sailed on Celebrity" Millenium for first cruise Concierge Suite and absolutely loved it, so we're looking forward to trying out the aft balcony. My only hope is that I won't suffer from motion sickness.

• 2 weeks later...
ichur, I think we'll be cruising on the same dates - :) . We'll be on FOS Dec 10, 2006. No one can believe we booked that far out (of course the folks that I'm talking about have never cruised before either:D. They just don't understand.

Looks like you love to cruise too. Once you've been on that first cruise, you are hooked for life, we can't seem to get enough. We also spoiled my Mom on cruising and actually we are taking her with us on this cruise. It will be her 3rd.

Gingras3, we booked cabin 1400aft on FOS. So that should almost be next door to your room, too bad we have different sailing. But maybe you can drop back in after your cruise and let me know what you though of your cabin? Would really apprecate it. Thank you in advance. They tell me, our is a corner cabin, so I'm hoping it's big and roomie. Have you even been in an aft cabin before? Did you like it?

Penguin, I have 1400 for the 10/15/06 sailing. If you want to e-mail me or find me on the boards after that I should be able to direct you to some pictures of your cabin!

Just booked our first cruise ever on the Freedom for the June 11th 2006 sailing. Didn't know really what I was doing, booked a D1 balcony room for DH and me and an inside cabin for our son and his friend across the hall. It will be on the 9th deck and towards the front of the ship, I hope this is okay, tend to get car sick. I'm so excited for our first cruise. This site has really helped me out with tips. :)

They keep indicating that the rooms are bigger. Does everyone really think that they are making ALL the rooms larger or just the suites? We usually book the D-1 cabins and could really use less rooms as a whole and bigger cabin in the ones they have left. Kind of like the airlines. Take out a couple of rows and give us some leg room. Esp. since none of the planes now adays are full anyway.

According to the stats I have seen, the staterooms (non-suites) are slightly larger on Freedom than those on Voyager class ships except for the inside rooms which are slightly smaller. A D category stateroom on Freedom is described as 189sq ft.(balcony 68sq.ft) while a D category stateroom on Adventure of the Seas is 188 sq. ft (balcony 50 sq. ft). An outside room (category F) is 214 sq.ft on Freedom while the same category stateroom on Adventure is 211 sq. ft. However the inside rooms on Freedom are 152 sq. ft. and on Adventure they are 160 sq.ft.

Doesn't sound like the rooms themselves are really that much larger but the balconies are significantly bigger. Of course if you ever sailed on RCI's first ships, the size of the staterooms on their post-Sovereign class ships seem huge.

Of course the physical dimensions of the rooms only tells a part of the story. The room layout and the size and placement of the furniture can make a big difference. I have been on Carnival ships which had much bigger staterooms but because of the furnishings, there was little or no room to maneuver around the stateroom.

Hello TerriDHair, that sounds GREAT. I can't wait to see what "our" aft cabin really looks like. Yes, please let me know (and I'll be looking for your comments as well upon your return).

You can email me as well.

Thanks again, can't wait - always looking for more FOS information every day. I don't really want the year to fly by, but then again.... smile.

DH and I just booked our first balcony stateroom on FOS, sailing 12/17/2006. When we booked, we noted that we will be celebrating our second wedding anniversary. Does anyone know what Royal Caribbean will do for anniversaries?

December sounds so far away, but I'm hoping for time to fly really fast! We have a vacation to Hawaii scheduled in 2 months, but I'm more excited about the cruise than about Hawaii... shame on me! :) I feel so blessed to be able to go on 2 vacations this year!

This will be our second cruise, and we're hoping it will go smoother than the first. Our first cruise was on the Enchantment last October, but it was quite stressful leading up to it due to Hurricane Wilma. Our cruise was postponed, then finally cancelled, and having to make the "go or no go" decisions and arrangements caused us to need a vaction badly! We ended up on a modified 3-day cruise on the Sovereign, which was nice, but too short! We felt a bit cramped in our inside stateroom, too. We're looking forward to a whole week on a new ship, in a big room with a balcony! Props to DH for agreeing to splurge on this one! :)

Now I'm afraid that we'll be spoiled and will only want a balcony room on future sailings! Actually, my next goal is to book an aft balcony cabin on my NEXT cruise, now that I've been reading these boards! (I suppose the aft cabins on my FOS sailing are all booked... oh well.)

DH and I just booked our first balcony stateroom on FOS, sailing 12/17/2006. When we booked, we noted that we will be celebrating our second wedding anniversary. Does anyone know what Royal Caribbean will do for anniversaries?

For my 1st Anniversary (in 1998), RCCL gave us a cake at dinner that night.

I booked a GS on the April 29th, 2007 sailing. My hubby keeps talking about the glass hot tub being so many feet over the ocean and saying he "doesn't trust it"...HAHAHAHAHA...crazy man. ;)

Archived