Staff bashing of Oasis/Allure experienced on Freedom

Being just off Freedom this week there is one thing I noticed that annoyed me a bit....it was the negative attitude of some staff towards Oasis/Allure. This occurred several times during overhearing conversations that others were having and also in conversations I was having with different staff members. The worst was during a bridge tour when another family after seeing a picture of Freedom docked right next to Oasis commented with a big WOW....and were responded back from the officer with a comment about how most guests that were on Oasis and returned to Freedom said it's much to crowded and much more enjoy the Freedom class instead. She even continued on to talk about the hassle of making entertainment reservations and such....I was really surprised to hear an officer go into such a negative rant about a sister ship in the Royal line. I also was sitting next to a couple Freedom staff members during a dinner in Portofino that also got into a negative Oasis rant and how they would never work on that ship after I mentioned I just came off her a couple weeks ago.....the ironic thing was the human resource officer was sitting right next to them on the other side and I would think heard the conversation.....I wouldn't be surprised if there were some words after I left. I know that Oasis/Allure may not be everyones cup of tea and it probably isn't an easy ship to work but to hear fellow staff bash a sister ship was both a bit surprising and unprofessional IMO.

Most all staff on Freedom was excellent....so don't take this negative at all on Freedom.....she is a great ship!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the staff and crew aboard both the Allure and the Oasis are the "cream of the crop"...and hand picked to be asked to move, rather than the positions being "applied" for...so maybe what you heard is just "sour grapes"...

I do agree, though, that such opinions should be kept to oneself. I don't think they need to "talk them up" if their opinion is somewhat negative, but just remain neutral in their public conversations if that's how they feel.

I worked for a Fortune 10 company in customer service for 25 years...in telecommunications...when the FCC ruled that people could go to another carrier for their local and/or long distance service, it was drilled into our heads that we could not offer ANY opinion when asked, either for/against any carrier, including the one we worked for. We had to remain unbiased, at least in our dealings with the customers. I would think it would be the same for any profession...

That's funny. I heard the same thing about the Voyager when I went on the Radiance. I talk with a staff member after I over heard a conversation and asked him why they thought that. He said that it was a toss up between the three of the crew members who would go on the Voyager when it came out. Guess what, the third guy went and they did not go. The difference was one could speck English better. I asked why he did not go since he spoke English very well. He said that is was a choice between him and Jules (bar tender at pool bar). Jules won by having two more excellent on his forms. He was upset until the boss told him that when another new ship came out he would get it. He found out that week that he would be in the running for then the unnamed Oasis.

Sounds like sour grapes. Just like the ones on this board who blast those two ships without ever stepping foot on them. Consider the source.

I agree. We see it all the time on here and on other boards where someone blasts the ships of another line and repeats stereotypical complaints and comments that have little or no basis in fact and are rarely, if ever, based on personal knowledge. I am sure that the experience of working on a larger ship such as Oasis and Allure is different and provides different challenges from those found on smaller ships in the fleet, but different is not the same as worse (or better for that matter). Some of their criticism may even be more a self-defense mechanism designed to convince themselves that they are better off in their current position than they would be in a new or different environment.

In the final analysis why should we permit the opinions of others have an undue influence on how we think about things?

Trust me, it's not sour grapes for most...95% of the crew do NOT want to work on the Oasis/Allure just for the reasons you heard them mention. Also, they are severely overworked on those ships, even moreso than on the smaller ones. Too big.

Pffffft....................:rolleyes:

95%, and you took a poll?

I just love these false facts, sounds like hot air to me...........;)

I doubt she took a poll, but as I recall Staci is friends with several crew/staff members on various ships and likely does have some knowledge of the situation.

Several crew members told us they did not like the Oasis class because of its size. The amount of time for them to get from the crew areas to work stations is substantially longer than on the other classes. I guess it would be like having 20 minutes less on break time.

We were on Liberty a few weeks back, some staff (at least 3 I can remember at this time) we talked to where scheduled to go to Allure after their Liberty shift…Not one bad word.

In other conversations comparing the RCI ships, I cannot say I heard one crew or staff member talk bad over another ship.

What we did have was the wait staff of Portofino acknowledging my opinion on Chops (we came out of Chops with a rushed feeling).

However on almost the same topic, we (personally) had a very bad feeling with the officers onboard, they were hardily present during the cruise, and when you saw one of them they didn’t even bother to say hello...To make it more clear, I mean literary the work “hello”, not doing the max 2min small talk they are all instructed to do, like every other RCI employee does on the ship…I don’t get how over 1200 crew and staff can say “hello”, and those 30 something officers don’t even bother and look at you like you are thin air (most passengers we talked to had the same feeling)…Anyhow they weren’t missed and still had such a good time that the next cruise is going in final planning faze :D

IMO the reasoning behind such comments are totally irrelevant. Comments or conversations like this do not belong into passenger areasor into times when passengers are around.

I think this is highly unprofessional and even more when it comes from an officer.

I can't understand why their rantings bothered you? So what?

It happens all the time ..... the Chicago office complains about the New York office, the clerk at the Gap at one store, complains about another store. It happens in just about every industry.

I ditto what others have said about most workers do not want to work on Oasis and Allure.

I think the "we picked the cream of the crop" for this ship is a load of BS. At least that was the party line I heard on Carnival Dream, and if that is the "Best" that carnival has to offer ..... I think they want you to believe it, but in reality, they take who they can get.

I think most staff get lower tips on the big ships. With all the dining options, people cut back on their tips, because they never made it to the MDR. Now we all know that those people still worked and still need their tips regardless of whether you sat down in the MDR; but I think the sad truth is people cut back on their tips. Or maybe people think ... there are thousands of people on board, my wee little tip doesn't matter. Who knows? But most workers want to stay on the smaller ships where they are (perhaps) underworked, but better compensated.

While on Grandeur I remember talking to our waitress, who said basically, they were begging her to go to Oasis, and she was afraid that when her contract renewed, she'd have NO choice but to go.

I doubt she took a poll, but as I recall Staci is friends with several crew/staff members on various ships and likely does have some knowledge of the situation.

I understand that but to make up false facts is wrong, still sounds like sour grapes..............

I think the "we picked the cream of the crop" for this ship is a load of BS. At least that was the party line I heard on Carnival Dream, and if that is the "Best" that carnival has to offer ..... I think they want you to believe it, but in reality, they take who they can get.

Well during our cruise in June we were told that very fact from Captain Johnny during the Q&A part of his session with the senor officers. As a matter of fact when I asked some of the crew how long they have worked for RCCL the least amount of time served was 9 years from the crew I asked and that was about 15 or so of them........So my experience is that is a very valid statement............

I understand that but to make up false facts is wrong, still sounds like sour grapes..............

Well during our cruise in June we were told that very fact from Captain Johnny during the Q&A part of his session with the senor officers. As a matter of fact when I asked some of the crew how long they have worked for RCCL the least amount of time served was 9 years from the crew I asked and that was about 15 or so of them........So my experience is that is a very valid statement............

I can only qualify my opinion with my experience on Carnival Dream ... our waiter was the WORST waiter we've had in many cruises. He was rude, arrogant, condescending, had a hard time understanding English, .... and worst of all, he tried on a few occasions to make me feel guilty for living a good life, asked me how much my house was worth, how many money I had etc. ...... There is no way he is the "cream of the crop" for Carnival. If he is, Carnival is in big trouble.

I think that perhaps, they may pick the cream of the crop with respect to the senior officers ... but when it comes to the service staff .... I don't know if I buy it.

I can only qualify my opinion with my experience on Carnival Dream ... our waiter was the WORST waiter we've had in many cruises. He was rude, arrogant, condescending, had a hard time understanding English, .... and worst of all, he tried on a few occasions to make me feel guilty for living a good life, asked me how much my house was worth, how many money I had etc. ...... There is no way he is the "cream of the crop" for Carnival. If he is, Carnival is in big trouble.

I think that perhaps, they may pick the cream of the crop with respect to the senior officers ... but when it comes to the service staff .... I don't know if I buy it.

After five cruises on the Oasis/Allure, I can also add that they have been the best that I have experienced after over 40 cruises.

As for Carnival, IMHO RCI"s worst crew is better than Carnival's so called best. One of the reasons that I have marked Carnival off of my list of cruise lines.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the staff and crew aboard both the Allure and the Oasis are the "cream of the crop"...and hand picked to be asked to move, rather than the positions being "applied" for...so maybe what you heard is just "sour grapes"...

If that be the case-I would sure hope these folks are rewarded for excellance via salary. the way some speak of cruise ship salary's, this is one time I would hope the company rewards the 'cream of the crop' via the pay stub!!. ;)

Personally, I took it more as offering an informed opinion rather than making up false facts.

I did not "take a poll" just guessing at a percentage. I am not an expert, just know lots of people who work on ships for Royal. Believe what you want, your right to do so.

Archived