Jacket required - mariner

Is a jacket required in any of the restaurants on the Mariner?

No but, a shirt with a collar, pants, and shoes are required after 6 PM. Before 6 PM the shirt doesn't have to have a collar and shorts are OK.

Jackets are optional depending on the temperature and mood of the person.

As Rallydave mentioned, it is not required. You will see many men in jackets in the speciality restaurants and on "special" evenings in Compass Rose (Captain's Reception and Farewell for instance). Although optional, you also see a fair amount of ties (mostly guests from European countries that have still retained the dress code of the past -- or present -- whichever way you look at it:-)

Sounds like the atmosphere on Oceania. Men often wear a sport jacket in the alternate dining venues, to the to Captain's Party and the like. You'll see some in the main dining room. But jackets are never required.

We're on Oceania's Marina in March and then the Navigator in October. Haven't been on RSSC since the change in dress code.

How sad. . . . . I would hate to see Regent be like Oceania. Think I'll suggest my DH forget the jacket.

I definitely wouldn't say "sad" about an Oceania cruise. It's not all-inclusive like Regent, but an upscale cruise experience nonetheless. And I've heard their new Marina is fantastic!

I definitely wouldn't say "sad" about an Oceania cruise. It's not all-inclusive like Regent, but an upscale cruise experience nonetheless. And I've heard their new Marina is fantastic!

I probably should explain that comment;-) I'm sure that the new ship is wonderful and that sailing on Oceania is a great experience. But, when Apollo purchased Regent, things changed on Regent. Regent has to do everything that Oceania does. Regent has lost it's identity. Top management at the parent company (Prestige Cruise Holdings) loves Oceania. Regent seems to be a poor step-child. That is what is really sad.

I seem to chime in every time I see this topic-- simply in hopes of maybe preventing someone else's discomfort. Just to say that both my husband and I are often cool/cold in the various dining venues. He virtually always wear a jacket (doesn't like sweaters cause too hard to take on and off) and I virtually always wear/bring some kind of wrap. So: if you tend at all towards being cold in restaurants, I suggest bringing something. If not, I agree-- it'd be great to be able to leave the heavier things at home.

Dump the jacket, pack a nice sweater. I have been on numerous Mariner cruises in recent years and never packed a jacket or tie. A few elderly gents look spiffy with their snazzy attire & a boutiniere which is just fine. That said, my experience is that a majority of males wear country club casual.

Unlike what I witnessed on a June Princess cruise, you will not see heavily tatooed, earinged males wearing wife beater t-shirts and short shorts in the Compass Rose.

Dump the jacket, pack a nice sweater. I have been on numerous Mariner cruises in recent years and never packed a jacket or tie. A few elderly gents look spiffy with their snazzy attire & a boutiniere which is just fine. That said, my experience is that a majority of males wear country club casual.

Unlike what I witnessed on a June Princess cruise, you will not see heavily tatooed, earinged males wearing wife beater t-shirts and short shorts in the Compass Rose.

Just my opinion. . . but, I think men look very OLD in sweaters. Would almost prefer to see a wife beater with a sports jacket:-)

Just my opinion. . . but, I think men look very OLD in sweaters. Would almost prefer to see a wife beater with a sports jacket:-)

How about the sweater over the shoulders with the sleeves hanging down the front? :D

images.jpeg.ac858152acf95dd552b02bc063a6b306.jpeg

I probably should explain that comment;-) I'm sure that the new ship is wonderful and that sailing on Oceania is a great experience. But, when Apollo purchased Regent, things changed on Regent. Regent has to do everything that Oceania does. Regent has lost it's identity. Top management at the parent company (Prestige Cruise Holdings) loves Oceania. Regent seems to be a poor step-child. That is what is really sad.

TC,

I'm having a difficult time understanding your statements above. Would you please provide some specifics. Other than the obvious change in the chain of command, what "things" have changed on Regent since its purchase by Apollo? What are some examples of Regent having to do everything that Oceania does and of Regent losing its identity? Frankly, I see major differences between Oceania and Regent. Why do you think Regent is the poor step-child of Oceania? Prestige Cruise Holdings has poured over $100,000,000 into Regent to revitalize the ships after Carlson, the previous owner, let them slip. IMHO, that is hardly the example of a poor step-child. Cinderella is not scrubbing floors while her step-sisters attend the ball. :D

Since I first cruised on Regent after Apollo purchased them, I'm looking forward to your specific thoughts. Thanks.

Dave

How about the sweater over the shoulders with the sleeves hanging down the front? :D

Great college look! Not too keen on the colors. Much better look than a man (of any age) wearing a cardigan to dinner (think they are called jumpers in the U.K. -- not sure). Different parts of the world abide by different dress codes. Some men who have worn beautiful Hawaiian silk shirts to dinner on Regent have been made fun of on these boards. Keeping in mind that this is a matter of personal opinion.. . . I prefer the casual look on men to be a nice shirt and slacks (preferably long sleeved for dinner unless in the Caribbean).

In terms of temperature in Compass Rose. We have been told that it is kept at a very cool temperature when it opens because it will warm up as people arrive. I have found this to be true. So, a light sports jacket does spiff up an outfit -- whether to keep warm, to dress up a bit for Signatures and Prime 7 -- or just a preference.

No bashing on this one. . . . please. As long as the Regent Dress Code is followed and you are comfortable in what you are wearing, no one should judge you.

TC,

I'm having a difficult time understanding your statements above. Would you please provide some specifics. Other than the obvious change in the chain of command, what "things" have changed on Regent since its purchase by Apollo? What are some examples of Regent having to do everything that Oceania does and of Regent losing its identity? Frankly, I see major differences between Oceania and Regent. Why do you think Regent is the poor step-child of Oceania? Prestige Cruise Holdings has poured over $100,000,000 into Regent to revitalize the ships after Carlson, the previous owner, let them slip. IMHO, that is hardly the example of a poor step-child. Cinderella is not scrubbing floors while her step-sisters attend the ball. :D

Since I first cruised on Regent after Apollo purchased them, I'm looking forward to your specific thoughts. Thanks.

Dave

Don't think it's fair for me to spout off about this topic in the middle of sweaters and jackets and freezing dining rooms. Will start a new thread.

I prefer the casual look on men to be a nice shirt and slacks (preferably long sleeved for dinner unless in the Caribbean).

Now that would be something I'd really like to see and very interesting;

long sleeved slacks :D

Now that would be something I'd really like to see and very interesting;

long sleeved slacks :D

You REALLY got me on that one:-) Now, if you really want to look for some errors, check out my new thread. I'll be out for a while but will check in when I get back.

There's an old saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". :p

One of my late Dad's sayings, and I took it to heart long ago. Wish more folks would! [see, there, that last incomplete sentence of mine was a borderline violation of my only-say-nice policy. Well, I ain't perfect!!!:)]

Another way to put it:

"If you can't be big, don't belittle."

Uh-Huh.

One of my late Dad's sayings, and I took it to heart long ago. Wish more folks would! [see, there, that last incomplete sentence of mine was a borderline violation of my only-say-nice policy. Well, I ain't perfect!!!:)]

Another way to put it:

"If you can't be big, don't belittle."

Uh-Huh.

There is a "only-say-nice" policy-- but not on CruiseCritic-- it is on another website:-) On the other hand. . . lighten up. This is only about how to dress and most posts here are done tongue in cheek.

I don't understand this bit?...

But yes, the internet is not where you go if you're sensitive, I agree....

All I meant was that some people were taking the thread a bit too seriously. The fact that I don't like cardigan sweaters on men wasn't mean to be negative. I loved that the response was a pink sweater around the neck (love men in pink:-) This, to me, was a light hearted, fun subject. We did answer the OP's question. Sorry if it was confusing:-)

Archived