From someone directionally challenged, when to book starboard or port side?

Just changed my Serenade of the Seas cruise from Jan to Feb 2012. It cost more, but what are you going to do when you find out your sister's baby is due the same week you were going to be on a cruise? :D

We're sailing the 25th, which is the San Juan -> BVI-> St. Maarten -> St. Kitts -> Dominica -> Barbados -> Cruising -> San Juan itinerary.

10msltw.jpg

I think we've usually sailed port side, but I just booked starboard. Does it matter, or which side will have the best views? Any basic rules that I can learn to figure this out when I book? Because I never know which to choose.

Thanks in advance!

Supposedly the port side is so named because it faced the port ..but now ships often back into ports and switch from week to week.

I know, right? This is why it's so confusing!

Anyone been on this route?

ETA: We were port side on the Western Allure route in May and I don't think we ever saw the port, lol

At the risk of sharing my secrets (just kidding), we usually will try to book port for 2 reasons. First is that we book balcony and that's the non-smoking side. Secondly, we try to see the pattern of where the ship is cruising. Generally we've been lucky and port is usually the side of the ship we've sailed in towards port so we get to see most of the scenery as we head in. And yes, we have backed in before so which way you're docked is a 50/50 chance it will be your side.

Erika

At the risk of sharing my secrets (just kidding), we usually will try to book port for 2 reasons. First is that we book balcony and that's the non-smoking side. Secondly, we try to see the pattern of where the ship is cruising. Generally we've been lucky and port is usually the side of the ship we've sailed in towards port so we get to see most of the scenery as we head in. And yes, we have backed in before so which way you're docked is a 50/50 chance it will be your side.

Erika

I didn't think RCI had a smoking and nonsmoking side as far as staterooms go. I know it's that way on the pool deck. Did I miss something?

I didn't think RCI had a smoking and nonsmoking side as far as staterooms go. I know it's that way on the pool deck. Did I miss something?

They allow smoking on the starboard balconys. At least they have the last couple sailings we've been on.

Erika

I'm pretty sure there is smoking allowed on all balconies. We are on deck 10, I'm more concerned with Windjammer noise, lol /o\

Thanks for the input, sounds like it's a flip of the coin!

They allow smoking on the starboard balconys. At least they have the last couple sailings we've been on.

Erika

That is true, but they also allow smoking on port balconies so that is probably not a good reason to book port. There are some cruises where side of the ship makes enough of a difference to try to go for it. On a one way cruise, if you pick the side that will be to land, you have a chance of seeing more scenery [although you will probably spend most of the time out of sight of land]. On a transatlantic, picking the side that faces south will probably get you more sun [starboard eastbound and port west bound]. On our cruise from Venice, we were encouraged to get a port side cabin because the main part of Venice passes on the port side of the ship. That was true, and it was truly spectacular, but we were out on deck for sail away and that was only 30 minutes or so of a 7 night cruise. Haven't been to Alaska yet, but have been told that sailing through the passages between the mainland and the islands give good scenery to both sides -- we'll see next Spring. Some people swear by aft cabins bcause you get a 180 degree view. That is true but it is of where you have been and it tends to be as the ship is moving away from the object of viewing so the distances are increasing rapidly. I am not an aft fan.

On most cruises, it makes very little difference. There will generally be spectacular scenery at one time or another on both sides of the ship. For those rare occasions during the cruise when side does matter [pun intended], you can always get out on deck without too much inconvenience. My personal opinion -- find the best cabin for you without regard to side of the ship. If you are undecided, try different locations on several different cruises. Good excuse to take more cruises.

We usually book starboard side, but only because when booking the most desirable cabins (for us) seem to have been on the starboard side.

The only problem is that when we do book port, old habits die hard, and we have many times turned the wrong way in the corridor when leaving our cabin.

. . . The only problem is that when we do book port, old habits die hard, and we have many times turned the wrong way in the corridor when leaving our cabin.

LOL -- I do that once or twice a cruise no matter what [although for me it is usually taking a wrong turn getting off the elevator]. I assume it is because the ship made an unplanned turn that confuses my otherwise flawless sense of direction.

Archived