Conflicting information for venice please help!

dimiegirl

Hello everyone. My husband and I are traveling this summer on the Nautica leaving from Venice. I wanted to find out which cruise terminal it was leaving from in order to book a nearby hotel. The Venice Cruise terminal information online says it is san basilio for my departure date. I called Oceania to confirm and they are saying it is Marittima terminal.:confused::confused: They seem to be far from each other so I really need to know which is correct. Oceania also said they offer free shuttle from Plaza la Roma to ship so I guess I could look for a hotel over there but I would really like to know which terminal so I know my options. Has anyone left on Nautica from Venice recently? Which terminal did you leave from? Was the free shuttle from plaza la roma to the ship dependable and easy to find? Any information would be greatly appreaciated as I need to start looking for a hotel for the night before. Thanks so much!:)

Hello everyone. My husband and I are traveling this summer on the Nautica leaving from Venice. I wanted to find out which cruise terminal it was leaving from in order to book a nearby hotel. The Venice Cruise terminal information online says it is san basilio for my departure date. I called Oceania to confirm and they are saying it is Marittima terminal.:confused::confused: They seem to be far from each other so I really need to know which is correct. Oceania also said they offer free shuttle from Plaza la Roma to ship so I guess I could look for a hotel over there but I would really like to know which terminal so I know my options. Has anyone left on Nautica from Venice recently? Which terminal did you leave from? Was the free shuttle from plaza la roma to the ship dependable and easy to find? Any information would be greatly appreaciated as I need to start looking for a hotel for the night before. Thanks so much!:)

You're trying to control the situation too closely. The honest answer is that the ship is docked according to where the Venice Port Authority wants to put it on that day.

Even Oceania won't know where the ship will be with 100% certainty until it is assigned a berth on that visit to Venice.

When you call Oceania, they give you information based on past experience, but (especially in Summer), the port of Venice has different traffic every day.

Don't sweat it........so what if your trip to the pier is shorter or longer? You will be so excited about getting on the ship that you wont even notice the difference.

Enjoy

JimandStan are dead on. The determination will be made by the port. It is subject to change, but if I had to bet on one answer, it would be from the port. But be aware that it can still change. On the other hand, you might be able to hold two hotel reservations until you get close without any penalty.

These web sites might be helpful:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-marittima.htm

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-venice-italy.html

http://www.port.venice.it/en/cruises.html

Somewhere I did see a schedule of ships in Venice with assigned terminals but I cannot find it now.

Just keep checking with Google.

Odds are it will be San Basilio (for smaller ships).

dimiegirl-

Venice is very easy to get around..most hotels will be within manageable distance. We stayed at the

[mailto:info@hotelcanalgrande.it] 'Hotel Canal Grande' which is highly rated on TripAdv. & within walking distance to the Plaza la Roma. The shuttle bus will be easy to locate as the terminal is not so big as to miss the shuttle bus... don't worry, take it from me...the 'ultimate 0bsessive planner', you'll find your way to the ship....the vaporetto is also a great way to travel and the hotel staff will point you in the right direction. Bon Voyage

No need to confine yourself to the Piazzale Roma area. If you are travelling with one large suitcase only, it is easy to take the vaporetto bus up the Grand Canal to Piazzale Roma and then catch the shuttle bus. We stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo last year for a few nights pre-cruise (top-rated on sister website tripadvisor), and simply took the waterbus to the bus station and took a taxi from there to the ship. (That was before Oceania provided shuttle buses.)

THanks so much everyone for your information and helpful links! I really appreciate it! I didn't even think to check my documents but i just did and it says maritime port pier 18 but as JimandStan mentioned, it is noted that it is subject to change so I will take everyones advice and just go with the flow!:) Thanks again!

There is a website which lists all of the assigned cruise ship berths in Venice: http://www.vtp.it/ It looks like some of the Oceania cruises leave from Marittima and some from San Basilia, but you can look it up by your cruise date:

The Oceania page is at: http://www.vtp.it/calendario/ricerca.jsp?CercaNave=OK&password=null&CodNave=&CodArmatore=105&Giorno=&Mese=7&Anno=2011

Very helpful link. I did not know about the people mover from the pier to the piazza.

I am not 100% sure it is working yet to the pier - it wasn't when we were there last year.

It only went from the parking area to P. Roma, IIRC.

Maybe somebody has later info?

I too would like to know if the stop at Marittima has opened yet. It looked to me when I was there a year ago that the only reason it had not opened was the very strong influence of the taxi drivers of Venice.

Archived