Veendam Retreat

heart13

Does anyone know the cost and set up of the Retreat on the Veendam? We were on the Eurodam last year and they had cabanas. The pictures on the HAL website show chairs only. Any help would be apprieciated.

The Veendam Retreat is a totally different concept than the Eurodam Retreat, and it's regrettable that they were given the same name. There are no cabanas anywhere on the Veendam, and no charge for its Retreat. It is now just an aft deck area with a couple of hot tubs and whirlpools, some deck chairs and tables, and a large screen for movies.

The Nieuw Amsterdam calls their deck 11 cabana area the Cabana Club to help get away from the name confusion.

Edited by catl331

It was a most unfortunate decision when HAL used the term "Retreat" for both the E-dam and the Veendam, as they are entirely different concepts.

On the E-dam, the Retreat is a quiet, reserved area with few people. It is truly a retreat from the hustle & bustle of the madding crowd.

The Veendam, however is a most-public area. The original foot bath has been removed, and replaced with a few hot tubs. There is a large TV/movie screen, a bandstand, a bar, and no restrictions on who may enter the area.

Sorry -- no "Retreat" area on the Veendam.

She was in dry dock this spring to "ReDo" the aft area which was a disaster.

Here are some pictures of the most recent dry dock which did not put in an aft pool which people asked for -- but instead several whirlpools were added:

Here are some new pictures of the Veendam's aft area - the Retreat Poolette is gone -- but now you have 4 spas

picture-002.jpg?w=878

picture-003.jpg?w=878

Notice what it says on the movie screen in your first picture. ;)

True, it says Retreat, but the two are so different that the aft changes to Veendam should have been given another name. HAL seems to have a very limited vocabulary--the way they name the suite levels mystifies a lot of people--Is superior better than deluxe? Or is deluxe better? (yes, I know, deluxe is the higher category, but you wouldn't know that from just the name)

Retreat on one ship has cabanas, that sounds like a 'retreat,' quiet, private. Retreat on another ship has a pizzeria and a movie screen, that does not sound like a'retreat' to me.

HAL has ships that are so different in size and amenities, they need to find more speficic names for amenties on the different classes.

HAL seems to have a very limited vocabulary

Now isn't that the truth. Besides what you have listed out, there's also the popular confusion between Explorers Lounge and Explorations Cafe. Again, two very different places, yet similar names. And on most of the ships, they're very near each other, too!

True, it says Retreat, but the two are so different that the aft changes to Veendam should have been given another name.
Which is exactly what the first two replies said before KKruizers said there isn't any.

... there's also the popular confusion between Explorers Lounge and Explorations Cafe.
And now the Explorer daily program. ;)

WOW, Veendam looks really different from the last time Mrs Banjo & I cruised on her. We remember the aft pool, (which we liked), and the puddle / Skating rink, (which we hated). I guess the jury is still out on the Hot tub outcropping. Looks like it was stuck onto the deck with glue or something. Did they use up the space under the deck where the pool was?

WOW, Veendam looks really different from the last time Mrs Banjo & I cruised on her. We remember the aft pool, (which we liked), and the puddle / Skating rink, (which we hated). I guess the jury is still out on the Hot tub outcropping. Looks like it was stuck onto the deck with glue or something. Did they use up the space under the deck where the pool was?

They added cabins where the pools were

We were on in May. This new "retreat" was hardly used at all, other than folks sitting in the chairs. I think maybe someone used one of the hot tub/jacuzzis once or twice. There never was a movie shown on the screen, either. Folks did come out from the lido buffet area and sit and eat at the tables and would frequent the tables as well if they were having pizza from the pizza station that's out on that deck. As there are cabins under where the pool used to be, it doesn't seem possible to bring back a pool like the one that was there originally, but as that platform that the hot tub/jacuzzis are on is four feet or so above the deck, how about just a four foot deep pool? The first "retreat" after they got rid of the pool was fixed position chairs in 6 inches of water. Obviously they realized no one liked that (VERY bad idea) and this re-do with the hot tubs/jacuzzis is pretty close to being as bad a refit. I hope HAL realizes no one likes this and they do not refit any of the other ships that are of the Veendam class with this "retreat".

What a brilliant idea! if they had frozen the water, it wouldn't have sloshed all over the place!!!!

I doubt they'll mess around with the aft pool on any other ships. Not after the negative response to the Veendam "retreat."

Obviously they realized no one liked that ...
But the real reason it was removed was that because it was wide and shallow, the water sloshed out on all except the gentlest of turns and seas, and flooded cabins below. Try walking with a dinner plate full of water!

I hope HAL realizes no one likes this and they do not refit any of the other ships that are of the Veendam class with this "retreat".

Plans to do that have been scrubbed.

But the real reason it was removed was that because it was wide and shallow, the water sloshed out on all except the gentlest of turns and seas, and flooded cabins below. Try walking with a dinner plate full of water!

Plans to do that have been scrubbed.

Good analogy! But shouldn't the genius who designed the footbath have known that?????

What is the retreat area like on Rotterdam? Is it the poolette look of the first Veendam redo or the second version with the 4 tubs? I am on Rotterdam next week and not looking forward to the changes seaview area.

What is the retreat area like on Rotterdam? Is it the poolette look of the first Veendam redo or the second version with the 4 tubs? I am on Rotterdam next week and not looking forward to the changes seaview area.

It's the poolette look of the first Veendam redo containing a bar area, Slice (pizza) and a large screen which faces the stern.

Enjoy your cruise.

Bob

It's the poolette look of the first Veendam redo containing a bar area, Slice (pizza) and a large screen which faces the stern.

Enjoy your cruise.

Bob

I hope so, as I am one who likes a quiet pool. Oh well. Is there one hot tub in the sea view area on Rotterdam or more?

I am going to miss the seaview pool, been on this ship 2x before redo.

Now the midship pool will be busier than ever. :(

What a brilliant idea! if they had frozen the water, it wouldn't have sloshed all over the place!!!!

I doubt they'll mess around with the aft pool on any other ships. Not after the negative response to the Veendam "retreat."

I called it the skating Rink because when they cruised to Antarctica it could have easily been frozen..... .....come to think of it HAL could have put cooling coils in the tiles, then Pax could have brought skates! :p

• 2 years later...