TWT or Shuttle

ihopfar

There are 3 of us and we are planning a land tour before our cruise next June. We are planning on having two nights at a hotel in the Glitter Gulch area outside of Denali (without a car), giving us a full day on June 7th to explore into the park.

We have the usual dilemma of deciding between the TWT and the Shuttle to Eielson. From looking at the schedule for this year, it appears that is as far as the shuttle goes on the 7th, with the 8th being the start of the shuttles past Eielson. That is fine – I think that is far enough for us on the bus for one day. However, if we spend some time at Eielson and do not take the same shuttle back, there will be more options for shuttles coming back if they start the farther shuttles a day or two earlier next year since I believe we could take any shuttle back from Eielson, not just one that turned around there – right?

I like the shuttle because we get to go a little farther into the park, and because we get to see the new visitor center. I like the TWT because it picks us up from our hotel instead of having to get to the WAC ourselves (without a car) to get the shuttle. Does anyone know what time the bus that goes from the glitter gulch hotels to the WAC starts in the morning? The first shuttle to Eielson on June 7th (if 2012 is the same as 2011) is at 7. I am guessing we would have to reserve the 7:30 or 8 if we take the shuttle, assuming the bus from the hotels to the WAC starts at 7 (or is it 8?). Is there any other option, other than walking? Would it be a safe walk at 6 or 6:30 in the morning to catch the 7am shuttle?

I know people say the earlier in the day the better for wildlife viewing. Does a 7:30 or 8:00 shuttle in early June reduce our chances tremendously for wildlife viewing over a TWT that might leave at say 6:30 (I know you can’t pick your TWT time)?

It appears on this board that many folks prefer the Shuttle over the TWT. Would this still be the case without a car, with the limited shuttle schedule at the beginning of the season? If you take the big difference in price out of the equation, would people still prefer the shuttle?

I should add that we might hike on one of the short trails near Eielson, but other than that do not have a strong desire to get off the shuttle anywhere else (other than for bathroom breaks) and hike around so would not use the hop-on/hop-off flexibility other than at Eielson.

As you can see, I am torn and want to steer my small group in the right direction. Hopefully the wonderful cruise critic community can give me a hand. J

Thank you,

Brad

Initially, I had booked the TWT tour with Princess. But after reading the tripadvisor.com forums for Alaska, I was convinced to book the 8:00am shuttle to Eielson. The Denali Princess hotel bus leaves starting at 7am. I learned that we would get to Eielson by noon and have time to hike around there. You can also stop on the way back at Polychrome Pass or one of the river crossings. Since they make several bathroom breaks, you can just take the next bus in 30 minutes or so. Just bring lots of food and water, but Eielson has water supply when you get there.

There are several hotels that offer shuttles to the park. If you go to the Denali forum of TripAdvisor, there's a list under the Top Questions area. (The list hasn't been updated to include Denali Park Hotel.)

I've only taken the shuttle 3 times (2 to Toklat and 1 to Eielson) so I'm no expert but I've always had great wildlife sightings. I don't believe that early morning is best, nor that the animals find shady places to hide on sunny days. My last trip was the best for sightings and we were on the 8:30am shuttle which arrived at Eielson around noon. We stayed with the bus for the return trip.

The schedule for the first week of June shows that the last shuttle departs Eielson at 6:30pm so you would have plenty of time to hike around at Eielson. There is a dispatcher at Eielson who can assist with a return trip, altho in early June there will be plenty of space.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/VTS-6-01-6-07-schedule.pdf

I am a clear advocate of the shuttle buses for their distance and price. I have also found more wildlife leaving on the early buses, I have many trips into the park. Your thinking is faulty however, about being concerned about the return buses if you opt to stay at Eielson. All you have to do, when you wish to leave, is check in with an Aramark employee who will get you a seat on the next available bus. Located at the first window upon walking around the building to enter.

You may be able to get an 8am bus, but you need to verify directly what time the lodge shuttles leave. My bus seat is important to me, so I am in line at least 45 minutes prior. For many, it doesn't matter.

Archived