Overbooked

rwstout

Just wondering if we ever get to meet you or if you are onboard incognito!

Usually onboard incognito. I don't run up and down the corridors announcing I'm a HAL employee, because all of our sea-based staff are too and as such likely would just have me locked in my room and checked for a fever. :D

Next cruises aren't until next year but they're a little bigger and as such are spaced out more.

Pardon my ignorance, but how they they overbook? In my limited experience, I've never heard of a cruise actually being overbooked. I understand that scheduled airlines usually overbook on the assumption that not everyone will turn up for the flight, but how many people would do that with regard to a cruise? Where's the logic behind that?

I have worked for nearly all the major cruise lines.

All of them overbook these days.

The number of last minute cancellations is around 5%.

That is 50 cabins on a medium sized ship suddenly empty in the week before sailing.

The no-show rate on embark day is 1%.

That is 10 suddenly empty cabins on a medium sized ship.

Occasionally the number of cancellations/no shows is lower than expected. Then we have too many bookings and not enough cabins. We keep sweetening the deal for move-overs until enough people go for it.

In the end there is never a problem.

Pardon my ignorance, but how they they overbook? In my limited experience, I've never heard of a cruise actually being overbooked. I understand that scheduled airlines usually overbook on the assumption that not everyone will turn up for the flight, but how many people would do that with regard to a cruise? Where's the logic behind that?

Here 's a copy of the HAL cancellation policy. To my mind they are not really going to lose out because of a few cancellations, so there is no justification for overbooking. Because of the cancellation fees levied they can afford to offer spare capacity at heavily discounted prices.

HOLLAND AMERICA CANCELLATION POLICY

For most cruises and cruisetours, a full refund (except for amounts paid for Cancellation Protection Plan) will be made for written cancellations received by Holland America, 300 Elliott Ave. West, Seattle, WA 98119 at least 76 days before the date on which you are to commence travel (by air, rail, sea or otherwise). Passengers who cancel after that date for any reason, including medical or family reasons, are subject to the following per-person cancellation fees:

75-57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement

56-29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare

28-16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare

For certain cruises and cruisetours, different cancellation policies apply. Please consult the brochure for your cruise or cruisetour to confirm the applicable cancellation policy. Cancellation fees apply to the entire cruise booking, including cruise fare, non-discountable amounts, air add-ons, ground transfers, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel and tour packages.

Given that the resale of cancelled space will likely result in a lost opportunity to sell other space, these fees are due regardless of resale. Fees incurred as a result of cancellation cannot be applied to future bookings. Refunds will normally be made to your travel agent. Travel agents may impose their own cancellation fees. Agency fees of any nature are a matter to be decided on solely by the agency and passengers.

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America and may not always be possible. Cruise and Cruisetour Contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

They may get to keep the price of those cabins, but they don't get the tips and the on board spending if they are empty!
And if the cancelling parties purchased HAL's CPP or CPPP they are refunding 80% or 90% respectively. the cancellation plan premiums are small compared to that loss.

And if the cancelling parties purchased HAL's CPP or CPPP they are refunding 80% or 90% respectively. the cancellation plan premiums are small compared to that loss.

How many insurance companies make a loss overall ?

In 2010, more than 18,000,000 people showed up at docks around the world prepared to board a ship and go on a cruise. AFAIK, not a single one of them was turned away at the pier because their stateroom was also sold to someone else. This year, over 19,000,000 people will arrive at the docks and all 19,000,000+ will board their chosen ship.

What's theproblem?

• 1 year later...

Due to the popularity of the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, December 23, 2012, 7-day Caribbean sailing roundtrip Fort Lauderdale. We are making the following offers to move your guests to an alternate departure date.

Offer: Receive a 50% cruise fare refund (does not include non-commissionable fare or taxes) and move to one of the following dates: (upgrades may be available inquire upon acceptance)

Veendam December 20th: 21-day Rio to Valparaiso

Volendam December 21st: 17-day Hong Kong to Singapore

Amsterdam December 22nd: 14-day roundtrip Fort Lauderdale (limited space)

Prinsendam December 22nd: 14-day roundtrip Fort Lauderdale (limited space)

Eurodam December 22nd: 7-day roundtrip Fort Lauderdale (limited space)

Eurodam December 29th: 7-day roundtrip Fort Lauderdale (limited space)

Nieuw Amsterdam December 30th: 7-day roundtrip Fort Lauderdale (limited space)

Ryndam January 6th: 7-day roundtrip Tampa (limited space)

Eurodam January 19th: 7-day roundtrip Fort Lauderdale

Please call to inquire about possible offers to move to other 2012/2013 Holland America Line Caribbean cruises if none of the above dates work for you.

If you encounter fees due to air change penalties please inquire about possible compensation.

I just read through a lot of this thread before I realized it's almost a year and a half old.

I thought it sounded familiar and that is when I noticed the posting dates.

Good offers, jmille.

Thanks for sharing with us what they are currently offering.

Welcome to CC. Happy you found us. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic Jimille.

Thanks for the information, sometimes if you are flexible, these offers can be sweet and if you can except them. We had an offer once to switch from one week to the next and our cruise would be paid for by Hal. Trust me someone took the offer, we were to late, darn.:eek:

Archived