Large Table: Round or Long?

DaisyGirl55

My family of 9 are counting down the days until we sail on the Dream in September. This will be our 3rd family cruise with Carnival. Both of the last two cruises, we have been assigned one of the large round tables in the center of the bottom floor of the dining room. We have early dining.

I asked my Carnival PVP about the possibility of requesting a round table as opposed to a long rectangular table, and he said that we cannot make requests until we get on the ship and speak to the maitre'd.

While I understand that a request is just that, and not a guarantee...isn't it a bit too late to make that sort of request once we are on the ship and all dining assignments have been given out?

Any suggestions? Or should we just hope for the best and talk to the maitre'd once on board if we have one of the long tables?

Carnival does not allow you to choose table size. Lots of people want a table for 2, or they want a table by the window.

People say well have the booking agent put a note in the booking notes. .. and hope the maitre d' sees it when he makes the assignments.

you are correct, with a party that large, hoping to move 9 people to a different shaped table will be difficult if not impossible. Be glad if they sit you all at the same table.

I have seen pictures of the dining room and looks like a lot of 10 tops by the windows you might get.

I was just gonna say what Fire said, at least with a rectangle top, almost all of those appear to be butted up against windows. Most of the rounds are right out in the middle of the dining room, which I personally find distracting, as you have to go around other tables to get to yours and the noise level seems much louder. Most rectangles are on second level and the noise seems a little more controlled up there.

I cruised with a imbecile on my last cruise, and because the TA had a generic place on the booking form to request table size, he thought he got it because the TA had granted his request .. never understood it was generic because most cruiselines do allow you to request table size.

Idiot!!!! anyway, because we had to move around on 2 tables and the maitre d' got involved who suggested putting a chair at the table by the window, he was terribly rude shouting .. MY TA GOT US THIS TABLE WE REQUESTED. .. and worse over the idea of a chair. how dare he, etc.

Why don't you try posting on the "Ask John" section of John Healds blog

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

Be sure and put "Please reply". He will send your request to the MD on the Dream and hopefully the MD will be able to seat you at a round table as in the past.

You will need to make sure and give him your sail date, name(s) and cabin numbers.

While this doesn't guarantee you will get the table, more often than not you will.

Don't forget to say Thank You.........surprisingly many people often do when making special requests.

Hi Daisy,

I had a seating problem also.We had a group of 16 and they sat us at 2 tables, not near each other. We had requested one large table. I was so upset, I kept looking for the

Maitre d', as soon as I boarded. I wasted time looking all over the ship for him. At a set time, he was available and right away he got us two tables together. It worked out because the kids had their own table with a lovely waiter.

Hi Daisy,

I had a seating problem also.We had a group of 16 and they sat us at 2 tables, not near each other. We had requested one large table. I was so upset, I kept looking for the

Maitre d', as soon as I boarded. I wasted time looking all over the ship for him. At a set time, he was available and right away he got us two tables together. It worked out because the kids had their own table with a lovely waiter.

was your bookings linked together? that was veryodd to say the least.

Hi Daisy,

I had a seating problem also.We had a group of 16 and they sat us at 2 tables, not near each other. We had requested one large table. I was so upset,

Again .. Carnival does not allow people to request table size .. so you can request all you want. Since there is no place on Carnival's booking form nor do they allow for it .. why are people insisting on making requests for things they cannot request??

Someone else got two tables, one with 10 and one with two kids sat at a completely different table. I dont know they are looking at the ages well enough on every single booking.

Again .. Carnival does not allow people to request table size .. so you can request all you want. Since there is no place on Carnival's booking form nor do they allow for it .. why are people insisting on making requests for things they cannot request??

Ditto! Several years ago, Carnival used to let you request a smaller or larger table, but not anymore. The only true way to hopefully get your seating accurate is to link bookings.....

Go see the Mat're de as soon as you settle in & get un packed. I deal with food allergies so I always go see them that afternoon. Just remind him that you will "remember him" at the end of the cruise & he will part the sea for you. I have always tried to tip then & there after meeting & they always seem to want you to wait... I have never figured that one out.

When I went to look at our table on the Valor on embarkation day, the dining room was still closed off, but I could hear people inside, so I peeked inside the door. I asked if I could see our table to see where we were assigned and if I wanted to make any changes. I was told, and noticed that the tables had not even been numbered yet, so even though we had our table number, he could not tell us what table it was. It seems like it would not be much trouble for the Maitre'd to change your table number if you showed up when he was available the first day to take such requests.

When I went to look at our table on the Valor on embarkation day, the dining room was still closed off, but I could hear people inside, so I peeked inside the door. I asked if I could see our table to see where we were assigned and if I wanted to make any changes. I was told, and noticed that the tables had not even been numbered yet, so even though we had our table number, he could not tell us what table it was. It seems like it would not be much trouble for the Maitre'd to change your table number if you showed up when he was available the first day to take such requests.

Easy .. if the numbers are not on the table, I go see the maitre d' at the appointed time, usually 1 pm and there is also a lady with a clipboard who has the table assignments on her board. Just ask her and she can tell you where you will be sitting. They are like anything we can do for you? I say thanks and walk back out. I just want to see where I will be and they will have it there on her board.

I got one to go along with that question. We sailed on the Pride June 2010. There were 5 cabins with 14 people. We had 3 tables...6, 5, and 3. No, everyone from a given cabin were not together (1 was seperated from his 2 room mates) and the 5 was a 4 with an extra chair.:confused:

We could talk to each other but not easily and yes, we were all linked. :confused::confused:

I got one to go along with that question. We sailed on the Pride June 2010. There were 5 cabins with 14 people. We had 3 tables...6, 5, and 3. No, everyone from a given cabin were not together (1 was seperated from his 2 room mates) and the 5 was a 4 with an extra chair.:confused:

We could talk to each other but not easily and yes, we were all linked. :confused::confused:

So did you all change around to suite yourself better?? thats what we had to do on my most recent group cruise in May.

Hi Daisy,

The largest tables that Carnival has is a 12 top on the Spirit class. The Maitre D' had no choice but to put your group at 2 tables. But usually the tables are next to each other.

On the Dream, does anyone know how many seats there are at the largest round top table?

Ours was a round 10 top.

Carnival Splendor – Carnival Dream – Carnival Magic – Carnival Breeze

Tables for 2: square

Tables for 4: booth-style; square; round (DR)

Tables for 6: rectangular; round

Tables for 8: rectangular; round

Tables for 10: round; rectangular (DR)

Why don't you try posting on the "Ask John" section of John Healds blog

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

Be sure and put "Please reply". He will send your request to the MD on the Dream and hopefully the MD will be able to seat you at a round table as in the past.

You will need to make sure and give him your sail date, name(s) and cabin numbers.

While this doesn't guarantee you will get the table, more often than not you will.

Don't forget to say Thank You.........surprisingly many people often do when making special requests.

John is on vacation right now. It would do no good to ask him more than 1-2 weeks before cruise. As he would ask you to remind him at that time.

Like others have said your best bet is to ask Maitre'd after you board. If you are already linked together in booking you have a very good chance you are all seated together.

The largest tables that Carnival has is a 12 top on the Spirit class. The Maitre D' had no choice but to put your group at 2 tables. But usually the tables are next to each other.

Need to correct you Sis. Ask Mom. ;)

When Mom replaced DH on the group cruise the 13 of us sat at a 14 top on the Paradise.

That is the only time we have had that table in 5 cruises. Usually we are split among 2 tables.

Need to correct you Sis. Ask Mom. ;)

When Mom replaced DH on the group cruise the 13 of us sat at a 14 top on the Paradise.

That is the only time we have had that table in 5 cruises. Usually we are split among 2 tables.

She already did.:D:D

Was that a round top or a long rectangular table?

It was a round table right behind the Maitre d' desk in the Elation DR.

We are Platinum and request early seating which we always get. We also request a table of 6 or more but this request has been ignored several times. Then when we get a table of 6 or 8, several of the couples never showed up at the table. I guess they are Lido Deck cruisers. It is very frustrating since we enjoy the company at the supper table and find it a great way to meet people from all over the world.

You can put in for a change of table but they won't do any thing until the next day. Again, very frustrating. ................................ "Are you kidding? We still am going to keep cruising!"

thanks, Rose and firefly

do you think there is a way I can request that particular table prior to my cruise...it being the Captain's Table, I am not sure if that is possible...but it would seem it would be the largest table they had in the MDR

Archived