Eat at your own risk on Carnival Legend

fonrouge82

I sailed with my family last week (July 3-10) on Carnival Legend. Everything was fabulous until our 5th day. I was eating breakfast on the Lido Deck, bit into a pancake and a shard of glass went through my tongue. Upon pulling it out of my tongue, my tongue began to bleed profusely. I covered 2 cloth napkins in blood. I was told by Carnival that it was an unfortunate accident and that they apologized. Beyond an apology though, there is NOTHING that they will do. Has anyone had a similar experience with Carnival? Guest Services were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. This was my fourth Carnival cruise....but it will be my last.

I sailed with my family last week (July 3-10) on Carnival Legend. Everything was fabulous until our 5th day. I was eating breakfast on the Lido Deck, bit into a pancake and a shard of glass went through my tongue. Upon pulling it out of my tongue, my tongue began to bleed profusely. I covered 2 cloth napkins in blood. I was told by Carnival that it was an unfortunate accident and that they apologized. Beyond an apology though, there is NOTHING that they will do. Has anyone had a similar experience with Carnival? Guest Services were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. This was my fourth Carnival cruise....but it will be my last.

I trust they treated you at no charge. Any lasting damage?

What were you looking for them to do?

We had something similar 2 years ago on the Splendor. We had ordered a cake for dd's b-day. The cake was brought to the MDR. We all had a piece, and mine had a small piece of glass in it. It didn't cut me. I spit out the glass into my napkin and we showed it to our waiter. He called the maitre'd over. They apologized profusely and said they would bring another cake the next evening. Later that night there was a knock at our door and we were brought a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries with sorry written in chocolate on the plate. The next night, the maitre d personally brought the cake to us.

159.jpg.9d58be85c7d2a755258877ad939d2eab.jpg

If you ever have worked in food service you know stuff like this happens. It sucks but it could have been worse. Be glad it was your tongue, and something more serious. Last night at work I had a side of our fabulous mac and cheese, and lucky for me the girl I shared it with knew I was allergic to shellfish. Her first bite she found a scallop. (it shouldn't be there) We aren't sure how it got there.

I was on a PCL cruise and the woman next to me was eating her desert that was full of shards of glass. She showed the waiter. Next time I saw her I asked if they did anything for it. She reported a plate of chocolate covered stawberries, a bottle of wine and an OBC.

That would be the least I would expect. But in the OP's case I would expect more. It is one thing to find shards of glass, quite another to have your tongue sliced opened. I understand it happens, but it needs to be addressed with more than sorry.

We had something similar 2 years ago on the Splendor. We had ordered a cake for dd's b-day. The cake was brought to the MDR. We all had a piece, and mine had a small piece of glass in it. It didn't cut me. I spit out the glass into my napkin and we showed it to our waiter. He called the maitre'd over. They apologized profusely and said they would bring another cake the next evening. Later that night there was a knock at our door and we were brought a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries with sorry written in chocolate on the plate. The next night, the maitre d personally brought the cake to us.

Now that is a good way for them to handle a bad situation, and make people feel better about it

OP, I hope your tongue is ok. As far as sympathy around here, you won't find it. I am sorry this happened to you. I think the Maitre d' and customer service could have made you "feel" better if they showed some sympathy or empathy.

I hope they did pay your medical fee (if any) and hope you feel better

Having dinner with extended family on Glory in MDR, I was about to enjo my fruit coctail. I put the fork in, and as I brought it up toward my mouth there was an awful looking black spider standing on the fruit. The body was larger than a pencil eraser.

I droped the fork back onto the plate, poured out a glass, and inverted it ver the spider and the fruit, while gestering for the waiter. I showed him and asked for the Maitre'D. He appologized, and ran off. The Maitre D came, and looked stunned. He said, where did that come from. I thought of a few things to say, but didn't. I was a little in shock myself, having almost putting into my mouth. The assistant waiter brought me a replacement fruit dish, and she said, sorry. I know it was not either servers fault, nor the Maitre D. But what concerned me it that the kitchen prepared this by putting it onto the dish, and garnished it. Did the fruit ever get washed?:eek:. Sort of lost my appetite that evening. Checked back later with guest services, and did get to see a message sent out fleet wide to inspect all packages of fruit onboard all ships.

I know accidents happen, and was glad to see that some action was being taken to prevent it from happening again. Never got an appology letter, wasn't actually expecting it, though would have been nice. And no, I didn't get a dish of chocolate strawberries later. Not sure if I would have wanted them anyway.

Are you okay?

How awful. It was an unfortunate accident... that can happen anywhere. Not sure what more than an apology you were expecting. :confused:

That is awful! I hope you're okay now.

I was on a PCL cruise and the woman next to me was eating her desert that was full of shards of glass. She showed the waiter. Next time I saw her I asked if they did anything for it. She reported a plate of chocolate covered stawberries, a bottle of wine and an OBC.

That would be the least I would expect. But in the OP's case I would expect more. It is one thing to find shards of glass, quite another to have your tongue sliced opened. I understand it happens, but it needs to be addressed with more than sorry.

I agree. The OP should have gotten at least what the woman on PCL got.

Oh my, I hope you are healed up! Accidents happen everywhere, but it surprises me that you didn't receive a letter of apology or something to say they were sorry. One thing keeps going through my mind...what if a small child had bit into that (it gives me shivers thinking about that!) It's too bad this has "burned" your future cruising with Carnival. We're heading out on our 8th cruise and cannot say enough good things about all of our past Carnival cruises.

I hope you are healed now. Mouth sores can be difficult. We had a friend who had a similar incident at a chain sit down restaurant but just bit down on it and didnot cut his mouth. The manager came over and they said he acted like they'd planted the glass in the food and did nothing for them.

did your clotting factor work?

will your tongue heal, or is there permanent damage?

and most important, what do you want, and did you tell anyone what you want to make this right?

Carnival should have done something at least a little more than apologized, but this can happen anywhere to anyone. Then again, I always am cautious when I am eating (no idea why), so I always check my food, but that's just one of my odd habits.

Archived