Solo cruiser question

lbosarge

My mom is dying to go on a cruise and we would like to pay for her to go. Now don't get me wrong I love my mom but I can't share a cabin with her for a week. It's not in our budget to pay double for her to have her own room.

I know you can't give travel agent info but are there any sites that match single cruisers up with room mates so they don't have to pay double?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a solo cruiser and I would NEVER, EVER room share with someone that I didn't know...EVER! You'd have no idea who she might get stuck with and end up having a miserable time.

The inside/1A cabins are fairly reasonable, depending upon where you're going. Booking early is also key. I'd also say that solo cruising isn't for everyone, so make sure that your mom would even be interested.

Maybe she has a friend or another relative that she could share with.

Now to answer your question, the only sites that I've seen advertising room share programs are for certain group cruises through travel agencies and quite frankly, getting her own cabin would be a lot cheaper.

You can look on vacationsto.com under single discounts. I am booked for a solo in September because I had no friends or family that could go. I did find some websites but found it to be a liitle creepy and just settled for spending time with myself.

Ask one of her friends to help you suprise her.

Good Luck

I'm in the same boat, having to solo. I've gone in a 1A, just a twin and bunk that pulls off the wall. When I go in Nov, I booked a porthole, it still might be an1A for a few dollars more (2 twins in case I find someone to share) . What length cruise are you thinking of? I personally take 4 or 5 nighters when there's a good sale. My next one is a 5 nighter at $239 p.p. if that's any help. Taxes $73.69. And where do you plan on leaving from?

I hate to say this but maybe the Epic for a studio room. Im not sure if I understood. Your going on a cruise and she wants to go now or she is going solo? If its her Epic all the way. Just so you dont have to pay supplement.

Thanks! I didn't even think about the stranger aspect. I think a 1a may be the best solution or see if she can find a friend who wants to go.

i think all of you will be much happier going this way. i have cruised solo 4 times and would never consider bunking with a stranger. 1a's are great carbins and can be really reasonable if you get them early. or a friend or other family will make it a great time for her as well. im sure she is going too have a great time.

Can someone explain what a 1A cabin is?

I love the idea of solo cruising!!!

1A is a category, just look for it on carnival's booking site.

When the above said they USED to book 1As, .. they USED to charge 150% for solos, .. no more. Carnival has decided it no longer wants to encourage solos to book a cabin. Most of us have taken most of our business elsewhere where we can find solo deals.

1As vary so much by ship, that all I can say is they are odd ball cabins that dont fit a mold.

It is my understanding that HAL (Holland America) still offers a room mate matching service. As pointed out, Carnival quit doing any discounts for singles. Other lines will still have some bargains. I would check out Royal Caribbean. I find a lot of good solo deals on some of their sailings. I sail solo every now and then and that is where I look for a deal (although I have a Celebrity solo cruise booked as well).

I used to be a Travel Agent and once did a 2-night cruise where they paired us up with a fellow TA (same sex) and we shared rooms. My roomy snored SO LOUD that I ended up on the floor opposite site of the room my head wedged between pillows. Wish I had brought ear plugs! Thank God it was only 2-nights and not 10 or 14.

This was enough to make me never want to cruise without knowing the other persons 'habits': sleeping, smoking, staying out until 1am and making loud noises coming back drunk, and the odd body odor from lack of proper hygiene.

In other words, I will always pay the Single Supplement to ensure I am in the cabin by myself.

I understand your situation completely...if you DO have to share a cabin with your Mom, you might be pleasantly surprised.

From what I read, she has never cruised before....your enjoyment will be doubled by seeing the cruise through her eyes.

Just make sure that you tell her she doesn't have to be joined at the hip to you, she can go off and do things alone. You might never even see her, except for dinner and breakfast.

A few years down the road, you will be happy that you did this for her, I wish my Mom was still alive so I could cruise with her.

Melanie

I've recently been looking for a solo cruise on carnival and noticed that during the online booking process when you get to choosing your room, you can select the 1A category and it SUBTRACTS money ($5.70 per day) from your total.

so, it's still possible to cruise solo for a little less than double the price.

I've recently been looking for a solo cruise on carnival and noticed that during the online booking process when you get to choosing your room, you can select the 1A category and it SUBTRACTS money ($5.70 per day) from your total.

so, it's still possible to cruise solo for a little less than double the price.

Not really .. they use a 4A as the standard inside price.. so the fact you can book a 1A cheaper is not giving solos any break. .. sorry, its 200% of the 1A price except for a few exceptions.

maybe try clicking thru on a TA site where you can see the 1A price and figure the math easier.

I used to be a Travel Agent and once did a 2-night cruise where they paired us up with a fellow TA (same sex) and we shared rooms. My roomy snored SO LOUD that I ended up on the floor opposite site of the room my head wedged between pillows. Wish I had brought ear plugs! Thank God it was only 2-nights and not 10 or 14.

This was enough to make me never want to cruise without knowing the other persons 'habits': sleeping, smoking, staying out until 1am and making loud noises coming back drunk, and the odd body odor from lack of proper hygiene.

In other words, I will always pay the Single Supplement to ensure I am in the cabin by myself.

totally agree. and i am the one that snores really loud :D. i spare people that whenever i can . :D

I understand your situation completely...if you DO have to share a cabin with your Mom, you might be pleasantly surprised.

From what I read, she has never cruised before....your enjoyment will be doubled by seeing the cruise through her eyes.

Just make sure that you tell her she doesn't have to be joined at the hip to you, she can go off and do things alone. You might never even see her, except for dinner and breakfast.

A few years down the road, you will be happy that you did this for her, I wish my Mom was still alive so I could cruise with her.

Melanie

I totally agree - I know my Mum may have been a bit tricky to share a room with but my god I wish she was still with me so I could take her on a cruise and remember a wonderful time for years to come - especially a 3 or 4 day one?

OP - Hope you get a great deal :D

Denise :)

thru many cruzes..NOW, my gal pals know what a great deal it is to "do it "MY" way, and join whan they can. These are gals I know for a long time as well. Upcoming TA/Magic..I lucked out. I booked w/ a usual GP, she bailed, but I have an unbelievable rate...and on our RollCall, posted the 2nd pax price..Got a mom of a couple, and she is reaping the rewareds of my Interline rate, low Dep, Early bkng price, and 2 price redux...We have chatted on the phone for several months, and find we are soooo alike! I'm greatful for my matchup from another Rtd Mil family..I spent $200 more $'s than my orig cheeeeep fare, and saved $600 or more, and we have a balcony. I'm at about..(after OBC,of 25%, and cashing in CCL FUN points, ) under $20 a day. I watch all the ones I have bkd ahead. My final date for last chance of price drop will be July 28th. PVP and I talked today! So she will be on the looked out for our last and final . Life is gooood

My mom is dying to go on a cruise and we would like to pay for her to go. Now don't get me wrong I love my mom but I can't share a cabin with her for a week. It's not in our budget to pay double for her to have her own room.

I know you can't give travel agent info but are there any sites that match single cruisers up with room mates so they don't have to pay double?

Thanks in advance!

you won't share, but you want a stranger to?

Ouch!

you won't share, but you want a stranger to?

Ouch!

To be perfectly honest, the cabins are way too small for all of us. It would be my 63 year old mother, my wife, my self and our 6 year old son. It wouldn't be bad for a 3 days cruise but we unfortunately got hooked on 7 day cruises and because of where we live that is the most affordable option for us as well.

Just my son going up and down the ladder to the bunk bed would drive my mom crazy. And I dont know if she would sleep on a convertable sofa. Which I believe is just the couch with the back cushions removed.

I think I have a solution that will cost more money than usuall but not as much as a double. I am going to loan my son to my mom and he can stay in our room and she will have a nice large room to herself. We will have to pay full rate for him instead of 3rd person but it will still be cheaper.

To be perfectly honest, the cabins are way too small for all of us. It would be my 63 year old mother, my wife, my self and our 6 year old son. It wouldn't be bad for a 3 days cruise but we unfortunately got hooked on 7 day cruises and because of where we live that is the most affordable option for us as well.

Just my son going up and down the ladder to the bunk bed would drive my mom crazy. And I dont know if she would sleep on a convertable sofa. Which I believe is just the couch with the back cushions removed.

I think I have a solution that will cost more money than usuall but not as much as a double. I am going to loan my son to my mom and he can stay in our room and she will have a nice large room to herself. We will have to pay full rate for him instead of 3rd person but it will still be cheaper.

Sounds like a good compromise. I resent :mad: Carnival's new pricing schedule for singles and just booked a cruise on NCL. Not on the Epic and I'm sharing a room but going to see if Freestyle works for me as a solo cruisier.

I have cruises 10,11 and 12 booked with Carnival and seriously considering cancelling 12 and moving to NCL.:)

To be perfectly honest, the cabins are way too small for all of us. It would be my 63 year old mother, my wife, my self and our 6 year old son. It wouldn't be bad for a 3 days cruise but we unfortunately got hooked on 7 day cruises and because of where we live that is the most affordable option for us as well. .

OP then the solution is easy .. book your son with your mom.

You can make a pallet in your cabin if he cant sleep with grandma.. seriously if there are 4 of you, why would you pay 5 fares??

easy peasy.

OP then the solution is easy .. book your son with your mom.

You can make a pallet in your cabin if he cant sleep with grandma.. seriously if there are 4 of you, why would you pay 5 fares??

easy peasy.

I interperet it to pay at double occupancy in one room (Mom and son) The son's rate goes to full rate vs. third person rate if booked in parent;s room. Parents in own room.

Archived