Southwest Credit Card Offer

Whimsy

Delta award charts can be found HERE (for US49 origin).

BTW....it took all of three clicks from the main DL page. I'll let you research the AA awards.

Thanks for the link to the awards chart! I am new to following miles etc so I'm confused as to how the airline determines what mileage applies to which flights. For example one of the flights I'm looking at will take me from SYR to SAN and if I understand the chart correctly the economy class indicates it would cost anywhere from 12,500 -30,000 miles. When I actually bring up my flights it's showing that it would require 40,000 miles and does not indicate that it would be first class or Business Elite. Does Delta really offer seats for the 12,500 miles that it shows for low economy seats? Is it a matter of only a select amount of seats at that price point or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any insight into airline miles!

Note on this DL award chart, it shows the amount of miles needed for low, medium and high. You are never guaranteed an award seat on any flight, and often you will not find any available at the lower mileage amount.

When you do an award search, you specify what class of service you are looking for. What did you choose for yours? When it shows you your available award flights, it clearly states, above the mileage needed, what class of service this flight is in, as in "Economy" 40,000 award miles, plus $10 in taxes.fees. Try a dummy booking and see if you see this.

That's an awful lot of miles for a domestic economy ticket.

Note on this DL award chart, it shows the amount of miles needed for low, medium and high. You are never guaranteed an award seat on any flight, and often you will not find any available at the lower mileage amount.

When you do an award search, you specify what class of service you are looking for. What did you choose for yours? When it shows you your available award flights, it clearly states, above the mileage needed, what class of service this flight is in, as in "Economy" 40,000 award miles, plus $10 in taxes.fees. Try a dummy booking and see if you see this.

That's an awful lot of miles for a domestic economy ticket.

On the flight I'm looking at I chose economy and this is what is shows when the search for my flight comes up:

Economy

From

40,000miles

+ $ 10.00 in tax/fees

I just went in and selected First Class as my preference and it doubled the miles to this:

First

From

80,000miles

+ $ 10.00 in tax/fees

• 1 month later...
Booked my two outbound tickets for March 3rd today, now I have to wait till September 5th to book the return. Still seems like a really good deal for $59

Can't imagine why someone would say it isn't worth the hassle.

Well today is September 5th and I just booked my two return tickets. So even with the taxes and fees, our grand total for two of us flying from Albany to Tampa, return, in March is $72.00 (this includes the $59 fee):D.

This is one of the best credit card offers I have seen.

Doubt we will renew the card next year but you never know.

Whimsy, I would re-check that value! I would be greatly surprised if they are giving $800 in value for you to sign up. You may be correct, but check before you sign up on that basis. It may be 800 points, which, at the SW conversion rate of 60 points=$1.00, would be only $13.67 in actual value.

The offer is for 50,000 points, which at a conversion rate of 60 points = $1.00, gives you $833 in reward value.

I signed up Feb. 28th 2011. Offer was for 2 return tickets anywhere in the US. Fee on the card for the year is $59.00.

I was aware they were changing the offer on March 1st (thanks to someone on these boards) and signed up from our hotel room just before boarding on our last cruise.

Even with a $99.00 fee and points, this is still a good offer.

Even with a $99.00 fee and points, this is still a good offer.

My thoughts exactly. I got the card; for whatever reason, the fee is $99, not $59, like some got. Maybe it was unlucky timing, but either way, I figure 2 tickets for the equivalent of 49.50 each is a bargain. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked, and the interest rate for SWA is 14.24% APR. If you use it, be careful about leaving a balance.

If you Google Best Airline Credit Card offers, you will find a comparison of various cards. We use Chase, charge almost everything (pay off each month), and it gave us enough mileage to go to Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

And if you folks really want to learn about all this stuff, go read the frequent flyer message boards. Once you learn the lingo they know just about every trick to get extra miles and which airlines and cards are and are not worth the effort to use.

Thanks. I have been doing some digging this am on some forums. I see the Starwood one, trying to figure out how it gives almost enuf miles for a ticket to europe though. Even with the 4,500 dollar purchase in the first 3 months of opening the card is nets you a total of 60,000 miles. Unless you mean a one way ticket? This one allows you to transfer miles to other ff programs which i do not think the Southwest one does.

Not Europe but we used Starwood for a 20,000 ticket (one way) on LAN from the US to Chile.

I saw this card is rated number one. The SouthWest Card is rated Number two somewhere, but I am not sure what the deal is. We fly Airtran at least 3 x per year so the SouthWest card may be of some benefit to us.

I got a new southwest card in September made my first purchase and received the 50,000 points:). The $69 annual fee is also charged on the first billing. I use a Choice Privileges Visa for the majority of my purchases and transferred my Choice points to Southwest and ended up with around 80,000 Southwest points. Booked 4 round trip tickets from Denver to FLL for our cruise in December, for 70,000 points, the $69 card fee and a $40 booking fee at Southwest. It would have cost over $1,500.00 if we had purchased the tickets outright. I will probably continue to pay the annual fee and keep the card. Also considering have my wife get a card next year so we can get another low cost flight. If you don't intend to carry a large balance I think the Southwest card is a great deal!

• 4 weeks later...

We got our Southwest card today and charged the required first purchase tonight - looking forward to seeing my statement with those points, and even more forward to booking our flights for our upcoming cruise! :D Now just crossing our fingers that the flights we prefer are still available when our points become available...

Archived