Celebrity Equinox--why such $$ difference one week apart?

kymbakitty

I'm looking for a cruise for our 20 year anniversary. We've been on a dozen cruises, but only one on X. With the new ships, hubby said he wouldn't mind giving them a try again. It's been since 2002 so it's time to try again.

Our anniversary is Halloween so I'm looking in October. I found an itinerary that looks pretty good and it is on the Equinox, October 20 for $2,899 Suite or $1,749 AC (if I can find a balcony bigger than regular, which I doubt at this late date, we may go for the smaller cabin), or the same ship, nearly the same itinerary, on November 7, for $1,899 Suite or $1,249 AC.

The itinerary is slightly different--

Oct 20: Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Mykonos, Greece; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Istanbul, Turkey; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Santorini, Greece; Naples/capri, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Nov 7: Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Chania (Souda),Crete, Greece; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Sicily (Messina), Italy; Naples/capri, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

I always wanted to go to Mykonos, but there are other stops in Greece that I'm fine with (I think I have just heard more discussion about Mykonos).

The pricing is quite a bit different--heck, the difference can pay for one of our tickets from California!

Any idea why the big difference? Is there something I am missing? We typically cruise for two weeks during this same time so I highly doubt it has anything to do with the weather--especially since it's only two weeks difference.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

One factor might be the change back to standard time at the end of October so it will be dark a full hour sooner during the November cruise. Frankly, at that time of year, Mykonos will not be very interesting. We were there the first week of November 2008 - nearly everything was closed and it was dark by 5:00.

I'm looking for a cruise for our 20 year anniversary. We've been on a dozen cruises, but only one on X. With the new ships, hubby said he wouldn't mind giving them a try again. It's been since 2002 so it's time to try again.

Our anniversary is Halloween so I'm looking in October. I found an itinerary that looks pretty good and it is on the Equinox, October 20 for $2,899 Suite or $1,749 AC (if I can find a balcony bigger than regular, which I doubt at this late date, we may go for the smaller cabin), or the same ship, nearly the same itinerary, on November 7, for $1,899 Suite or $1,249 AC.

Oct 20: Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Mykonos, Greece; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Istanbul, Turkey; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Santorini, Greece; Naples/capri, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Nov 7: Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Chania (Souda),Crete, Greece; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Sicily (Messina), Italy; Naples/capri, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

I always wanted to go to Mykonos, but there are other stops in Greece that I'm fine with (I think I have just heard more discussion about Mykonos).

The pricing is quite a bit different--heck, the difference can pay for one of our tickets from California!

Any idea why the big difference? Is there something I am missing? We typically cruise for two weeks during this same time so I highly doubt it has anything to do with the weather--especially since it's only two weeks difference.

Thanks!

Hi,

Holiday season in Greece is finished by the end of October. Greek Islands are not all year round destinations. As well as clocks changing, the weather is is getting cooler & wetter.

Islands such as Malta & Cyprus tend to have better climates and have a year round tourist industry. I cannot comment about Turkey.

I understand that cruiselines have extended their Med season - it is possible that price differential is because that lack of bookings on the later cruise. In the past they would have been starting their trans atlantic crossings. Just a thought.

Jim

Thanks!

The one HUGE difference for me would be Santorini. JMHO, Santorini would be worth paying more to see. It is every bit as beautiful as pictures show it to be. And this is, after all, a very special occasion.

Anne :)

The one HUGE difference for me would be Santorini. JMHO, Santorini would be worth paying more to see. It is every bit as beautiful as pictures show it to be. And this is, after all, a very special occasion.

Worth an extra $2000? To spend a few hours in a port? I don't know...if it is that special, I'd consider spending a week there...not just one day.

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think it's a nobrainer....we can spring for a celebrity suite on the November cruise and that will be pretty cool on one of these newer ships!

Hi KymbaKitty,

As you can see by my posting total... I am new to Cruise Critic (and also a NEW Cruiser)... the one thing I've learned on these Boards is to ask LOTS of Questions... and do a ton of checking.

The info the others have given you here is great... certainly time & weather would be a significant factor in determining pricing.

BUT, here is another possibility worth investigating...

Another Cruiser recently discovered that their "bargain" cruise was ON SALE because the ship was hosting a Theme Cruise... and then selling off any remaining cabins. In their case, it meant being on a ship filled with little kids... and someone else mentioned they once found themselves on an Alternative Lifestyle Cruise... and they were in a serious minority (100s to 1) in both cases the Cruisers WISHED they had ONLY KNOWN... they would have chosen another ship / intinary / date etc.

Nothing wrong with a good bargain... just make sure you don't find yourself the 5th wheel out of the main course of what else is happening on board.

I don't know the link where the info is listed on which ships are doing theme cruises when... but sure one of the other great folks here can provide it for you.

Cheers!

There a few further factors which may contribute to the price difference. One week of the earlier cruise includes the UK half-term school holiday. There may be more children onboard. Also, by November however much we hate it, the UK is starting to build up to Christmas and people are less likely to be thinking of going away on holiday. We love cruising in November [but never done it in the Med] because it gets us away from it all!

Sue

DITTO, Santorini is special.

Kymbakitty, I'm just starting to look around at fall sailings too and there are price differences which just don't make sense even after checking the remaining inventory. See the recent AQ pricing thread. There are some weeks in Sept/Early Oct less than the later cruises when the weather and light not as favorable. Let us know if you figure it out, I'm keeping my options open to AQ over two months any S ship.

The last time I tried to check for groups or theme cruises, info was very incomplete on websites. Is there a good one now? If you phone a department like group sales at X will they tell you?

As you can see by my signature.....we have done 2 Med cruises with a 3rd on the books.....in fact it is the Nov. 7th one you are looking at booking !!!!!

I would definitely think that two factors are in play here.....

The sunset issue really does come into play here with our sunsets coming at @ 4:50 pm each night. Now to me that is no big deal as the all aboard for most of our ports is @ 5pm....so you won't miss any port time anyway.

The other factor is it will be low season. BUT... We have found that while some things will be closed, most things will still be open. when tourists are around....things are open.

We love traveling this area in low season. Our second cruise (which was almost the exact same itinerary as the nov 7)

was early may (the first one after the ship did ta from Caribbean) but we really liked our nov. One better.

No crowds....no long lines and the weather was awesome !!!! Not to mention better prices on cruise and hotels .

If you book the 7th.....come join our roll call ,

!!!!!

Archived