Waterproof/snorkeling watches

mitsugirly

Last year when we went on our cruise, I purchased a waterproof watch from Walmart :rolleyes: and I wore it swimming the entire summer with no problems. Once I got on our cruise and went snorkeling (only dove down once about 10 feet-and this happened before I did that), it started "sweating" inside the face of the watch. It would take about a day or two for it to clear up and then do it again as soon as I got in the water.

I need to buy another one for this cruise (since we do all water activities) and need to keep track of the time of course.

I'm looking for suggestions on something that will work without sweating inside to where I can't even read it, but I'm not looking to break the bank either. ;)

I decided to look on ebay tonight and was surprised to find a bunch for .99 and 9.99 and...well you get the picture. :eek: Now I realize you get what you pay for, but like I said not looking to break the bank by buying a watch for a few hundred bucks either.

Are there any brands I should look for? Any suggestions?

I have both a TAG and a Timex....both work great while snorkeling. Certainly I would have no problem recommending a decent waterproof Timex which you should be able to purchase at WalMart for under $25...in fact I think I paid about $10 for mine.

I have both a TAG and a Timex....both work great while snorkeling. Certainly I would have no problem recommending a decent waterproof Timex which you should be able to purchase at WalMart for under $25...in fact I think I paid about $10 for mine.

I honestly don't remember the name brand that I bought at Walmart, but I believe I paid around $16 for it. I went back after the cruise and was going to raise cane about it not lasting, but they no longer had them. I figured it was because summer was about to be over with, so no more "water" sports here in Ohio.

I've looked there this summer, and there are no waterproof watches now. I did see some that are "splash" proof, but not to be submersible under water like what I'm wanting it for. :(

I see some on their website that says "water resistant"...does this mean I can snorkel with it? Or is it not to be used for long periods of time in the water?

What does it mean by 50m? How many feet is that?

I see some on their website that says "water resistant"...does this mean I can snorkel with it? Or is it not to be used for long periods of time in the water?

What does it mean by 50m? How many feet is that?

50 m is about 150 feet, it will be more than adequate for snorkeling.

...I need to buy another one for this cruise (since we do all water activities) and need to keep track of the time of course...

Hi,

Could you please explain a bit as to why you need to accurately keep track of time in the water as opposed to leaving your watch on dry land or in a boat.

Scott & Karen

Water resistant watches are just that, water resistant. If you intend diving or swimming with a watch on, buy a proper divers watch, they are waterproof. All of my watches which include Omega, JLC and Rolex are all water resistant, I would not even wear them in the shower.

You should be fine with any watch that says 50 m or water resistant 50 m. Most of the Timex IronMan or sport watches will be fine for what you need. I am a swimmer and always wear my watch in the pool and have taken many snorkeling trips with it. Never had a problem. I'm not sure where you are in Ohio, but my local WalMart, Target & Kohl's all carry them.

Get yourself a Timex Ironman watch and be done with the search.

They are available in mens and womens sizes, come in a variety of styles, have a battery that lasts several years and do well on cruises.

Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc sell them from around $25.00

I bought a Casio Baby G last year for around $75 online. It's shock resistant and water resistant up to 20 bar (equivalent to 200 meters or 650 feet). I used it snorkeling in Asia. It's also a nice watch for everyday use. It comes in a variety of colors and style to suit your taste.

Casio G-Shock, bought at Costco 5 years ago for $35. Says it's water resistant to 20 bars (over 600 feet). Have snorkeled many times and dove to depths of 75 feet and never had a problem. It's solar powered thus needs no batteries, and connects with the national time standard so is extremely accurate. It also can display two different time zones at the same time.

It ain't pretty but has served me well. Highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Timex Ironman vote here as well. $25-$30 at Walmart or Target. Or if they don't have them now, look at Academy Sports or Dicks Sporting Goods or whatever like that in your area.

I have 2 of them - thought I had lost one so got a second one then found the first one. So one is on daylight savings time and one is not....that way I don't have to change the time

For some reason I didn't get any notifications that people had responded to this thread. I'm not sure why. So, I'm playing catch up now.

50 m is about 150 feet, it will be more than adequate for snorkeling.

Thank you so much.

Hi,

Could you please explain a bit as to why you need to accurately keep track of time in the water as opposed to leaving your watch on dry land or in a boat.

Scott & Karen

Because 1) we usually stay in the water and why get out just to find my watch and see what time it is 2) It would be nice to have one at home when we are at the pool instead of getting out to check my cell phone for the time and 3) I don't own a watch now (always use the cell phone, which is in my purse, but I won't have a purse on me on vacation) so why not buy a waterproof one instead that can be used all the time?

You should be fine with any watch that says 50 m or water resistant 50 m. Most of the Timex IronMan or sport watches will be fine for what you need. I am a swimmer and always wear my watch in the pool and have taken many snorkeling trips with it. Never had a problem. I'm not sure where you are in Ohio, but my local WalMart, Target & Kohl's all carry them.

I've checked our local Walmart (which is where I got mine last year that didn't last long) and this year they only have the water "resistant" watches instead of the water "proof" ones they had last year.

I'll try Target & Kohl's next week and see if I can find some there. Thanks

Get yourself a Timex Ironman watch and be done with the search.

They are available in mens and womens sizes, come in a variety of styles, have a battery that lasts several years and do well on cruises.

Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc sell them from around $25.00

There was someone on our local craigslist that had an Ironman watch for sale (along with some scuba stuff). He said it was a $200 watch that he was selling for $30. Since I don't know much about them, I don't know if this is actually a deal or a rip off. :confused:

I bought a Casio Baby G last year for around $75 online. It's shock resistant and water resistant up to 20 bar (equivalent to 200 meters or 650 feet). I used it snorkeling in Asia. It's also a nice watch for everyday use. It comes in a variety of colors and style to suit your taste.

I will check them out. Thanks

I use a Timex Expedition (about $50). It has worked just fine so far.

http://www.timex.com/Timex-Trail-Series-Resin-Combo/dp/B001RNOB2M

Thanks for the link. I would like to find one that isn't black (I did see the blue one on there) but want something kinda "girly". :D

Casio G-Shock, bought at Costco 5 years ago for $35. Says it's water resistant to 20 bars (over 600 feet). Have snorkeled many times and dove to depths of 75 feet and never had a problem. It's solar powered thus needs no batteries, and connects with the national time standard so is extremely accurate. It also can display two different time zones at the same time.

It ain't pretty but has served me well. Highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Thanks I will check into it (online) since I don't have a membership to Costo here. :(

Timex Ironman vote here as well. $25-$30 at Walmart or Target. Or if they don't have them now, look at Academy Sports or Dicks Sporting Goods or whatever like that in your area.

I have 2 of them - thought I had lost one so got a second one then found the first one. So one is on daylight savings time and one is not....that way I don't have to change the time

We do have a Dicks and also a Gander Mountain. I think I'll see what they have as well. Thanks for the info. :)

You all have been a huge help. Hopefully I'll find something soon. :)

I used info below from the amazon website to find a watch that I could wear snorkeling. From my experience and advice I've received, you need the 300 meter resistance to snorkel or spend any real time in salt water. The seals on 50-100meter watches do not hold up over time. I spent $100 for a ladies Seiko 300 meter watch, and its the only one I've had that lasted longer than 3 days (not consecutive) of snorkeling

You might also want to search/post your question on the snorkeling thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Water resistance 50 meters (150 feet): It is wearable around household sinks, while playing sports, and in shallow water. It should not be worn while scuba diving.

Water resistance 100 meters (333 feet): It is wearable around household sinks, while playing sports, and while swimming or poolside diving. It should not be worn while scuba diving.

Water resistance 300 meters (990 feet): It is wearable around household sinks and while playing sports, swimming, and scuba diving at depths not requiring helium gas.

Thanks for that information. I'm still a little confused when they tell you it's ok for diving down to xxxx amount of feet and that it should be 300 meters. I'm not diving down, just snorkeling. So, wondering if I could just get one that states 100 meters and be fine. Or is it just something to do with the salt water?

I've been doing searches (I really want a white watch) and came across this site saying the best dive watches:

http://womensdivewatch.org/womens-dive-watch-review.htm

I like both of the Fossil watches a lot. #4 states to 300 meters and I've tried doing more research on prices, where to buy the watch and so on. Most of the reviews, everyone likes the watch (but haven't seen much mention on them using it for diving or snorkeling :() Some of the sites I've found the watch on states it's good to 165 feet (or 50mm). So I'm not sure who is right. :confused:

I believe that Macy's (which we have here) is suppose to have them. Maybe I'll try looking there.

Any thoughts?

After reading a lot of reviews...I'm really liking these two watches (when we were on our last cruise my husband and I fell in love with the fossil watches they had there and really wanted to buy one) and I did not realize they had them in dive watches.

http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-CE1010-Ceramic-Bracelet-Multifunction/dp/B003YGEU8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311521057&sr=8-1

reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-CE1010-Ceramic-Bracelet-Multifunction/product-reviews/B003YGEU8U/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

and also this watch (which must be an earlier model)

http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-CE1008-Stainless-Bracelet-Multifunction/dp/B003YGGK2O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311521057&sr=8-4

One thing to keep in mind......Fishies with sharp teeth like the flash that shiny jewelry creates.

True, how often do you hear of someone being shredded by a Barracuda? But the thought of it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. No rings or watch when I snorkel.

YMMV

One thing to keep in mind......Fishies with sharp teeth like the flash that shiny jewelry creates.

True, how often do you hear of someone being shredded by a Barracuda? But the thought of it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. No rings or watch when I snorkel.

YMMV

Yea, I've heard not to snorkel with flashy things. Although I did snorkel with the "rock" on my finger last year, but only because I completely forgot. Hopefully the white won't be too flashy. (Of course these both have some "diamond" looks to them). We did encounter barracudas at each place we snorkeled last year. My husband even followed one for a long time taking pictures (he didn't know what it was at the time but I kept telling him that it didn't look too safe and he looked like he was being watched by the barracuda. We confirmed shortly after returning from our cruise that they were indeed barracudas).

1017718058_Chf4U-M.jpg

This was a little too close for my comfort:

1017718180_LSBsa-M.jpg

1017718278_6sgQ6-M.jpg

I'm still a little confused when they tell you it's ok for diving down to xxxx amount of feet and that it should be 300 meters. I'm not diving down, just snorkeling. So, wondering if I could just get one that states 100 meters and be fine. Or is it just something to do with the salt water?

Any thoughts?

The salt water is definitely a factor.

I don't scuba, but I'm not a surface snorkeler either - I have 4 trashed waterproof 100M watches that didn't hold up to salt water - if I had just bought a $100 300M watch first I would have been a lot better off.

this is the watch I ended up buying - though I got it at a better price than amazon's current listing

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Womens-SXDA98-Luxury-Diamond/dp/B001ELKEGE/ref=sr_1_7?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1311535970&sr=1-7

The salt water is definitely a factor.

I don't scuba, but I'm not a surface snorkeler either - I have 4 trashed waterproof 100M watches that didn't hold up to salt water - if I had just bought a $100 300M watch first I would have been a lot better off.

this is the watch I ended up buying - though I got it at a better price than amazon's current listing

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Womens-SXDA98-Luxury-Diamond/dp/B001ELKEGE/ref=sr_1_7?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1311535970&sr=1-7

I'm thinking that I will buy one that's rated for the 300m myself. I don't want to take any chances.

How long have you had yours? How many times have you been in salt water with it? Of course mine won't ever get used in salt water but once a year on cruises. The rest of the time it will just be in our pool. But, I want something that is going to last for years to come.

Archived