Waterproof/snorkeling watches

mitsugirly

Just remember to always wash your watch with freshwater after snorkeling. Salt water wears out the gaskets fast.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about that. I do that with my camera, so it's only logic I should do that with a watch as well. Thanks :)

How long have you had yours? How many times have you been in salt water with it? ...The rest of the time it will just be in our pool. But, I want something that is going to last for years to come.

I've had mine for almost a year. I've used it for 5 snorkeling trips (3 to 7 days each). And almost daily swimming pool/lap swimming. The chlorine in pools can be as hard on the gaskets as salt water. I rinse with tap water after swimming too - there's far less chlorine in tap water.

I have another Seiko that's 8 yrs old and never even had a battery change, but time will tell how long this one lasts.

None of my 4 other "waterproof 50-100M" watches lasted through 2 salt water trips before fogging

I've had mine for almost a year. I've used it for 5 snorkeling trips (3 to 7 days each). And almost daily swimming pool/lap swimming. The chlorine in pools can be as hard on the gaskets as salt water. I rinse with tap water after swimming too - there's far less chlorine in tap water.

I have another Seiko that's 8 yrs old and never even had a battery change, but time will tell how long this one lasts.

None of my 4 other "waterproof 50-100M" watches lasted through 2 salt water trips before fogging

Thanks so much for you advice/input. I REALLY appreciate it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up purchasing this watch: http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-CE1010-Ceramic-Bracelet-Multifunction/dp/B003YGEU8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311521057&sr=8-1

and received it in the mail Saturday. Beautiful watch, however, it was a lot BIGGER than I expected it to be and very very heavy (which I expected). But the "bling" on it was way over the top. A very nice watch to wear out, but not exactly what I would feel comfortable wearing on a strange island where you could get robbed for wearing something that looks like this...then there is also the flashiness it would create in the water for the fish as well. So, I think I'm still going to try to find something else just for the islands and snorkeling.

I guess I'll have to head out today to look around at some of the suggestions given here. :D

Well, I ended up purchasing this watch: http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-CE1010-Ceramic-Bracelet-Multifunction/dp/B003YGEU8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311521057&sr=8-1

and received it in the mail Saturday. Beautiful watch, however, it was a lot BIGGER than I expected it to be and very very heavy (which I expected). But the "bling" on it was way over the top. A very nice watch to wear out, but not exactly what I would feel comfortable wearing on a strange island where you could get robbed for wearing something that looks like this...then there is also the flashiness it would create in the water for the fish as well. So, I think I'm still going to try to find something else just for the islands and snorkeling.

I guess I'll have to head out today to look around at some of the suggestions given here. :D

Frankly, for wearing to the beach for swimming and snorkeling (even deep snorkeling) you can't beat a Times Ironman watch. They are very durable and inexpensive and not flashy at all. Just a nice practical watch for the beach. I bought one of these about 5 years ago and have snorkeled with it a dozen times, and I'll regularly swim down to 20 feet or more. This is a picture & link to what I have, and I know there are women's Ironman watches too (Ironwoman?):

2130061B9-0-lp.jpg

Also, when the battery wears out I just send it to Timex with $10 (figured they'd do a better job of keeping it waterproof) and they actually send me a brand new watch every time.

I use a $25 Timex good for 50M (160 feet) which I also use for scuba diving. I have had it down to 70 feet and so far it does not leak at all. This excellent for snorkelling, you can go down as deep as you want snorkelling and should never have a problem.

I've been diving for nearly 40 years and have gone thru many dive watches in that time from Seiko to Timex.

My currrent dialy wear Citizen Eco Drive is good to 300 feet but I just can't bring my self to use anything but a trusty G-Shock for wet sports. I've one that I've been using for diving, snorkeling, boating and anything 'wet' for over 5 years. It is the one with solar recharging so it should never need a new battery - hasn't yet. Good, cuz none of my $$ dive watches every were sealed right after they were opened for a battery change. They always fogged the first dive after they were opened even by the factory.

When the daughter started diving it was a baby-G for her.

Here is what I ended up getting...

Timex Ironman in the rose/purple color.

It states the following:

This Timex Ironman watch has FLIX system, chronograph, countdown timer, calendar display, alarm, Indiglo feature, occassion mode, multiple time zones, military display option, and water resistance.

FLIX system for easy lighting

100-hour chronograph

24-hour countdown timer

Day, date and month display

3 alarm with 5 minute back up

Top pusher button for easy lap-split option

Indiglo and night-mode features

Occasion mode

Customizable features

3 time zones

Forward or backward setting

12/24 hour display

Dial: Gray illuminated, digital display

Movement: Digital quartz

Band: Polyurethane

Lens: Mineral Crystal

Case: Stainless steel and Polyurethane

Closure: Buckle

Case measurement: 35mm dia x 12mm thickness

Strap measurement: 17mm wide

Water Resistant to 100 meters or 330 feet

Warranty Type: Manufacturer

Warranty Description: One Year Warranty

So hopefully this will work out. I'm thinking maybe I need to put it in water for awhile and test it before going in case I need to return it. Any suggestions? Should I just put it in a glass of water for several hours to test?

ironman.jpg

I know I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd put in a good word for this Casio watch:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-W71-1V-Classic-Digital-Watch/dp/B000AR7RYK/ref=sr_1_79?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1312945787&sr=1-79

It's small and lightweight, but it does the job; mine last years and years at a time (I replace them when the batteries die). I don't bother taking them off in the shower, so they get wet (admittedly with fresh water) on a daily basis. They're water resistant to 50 meters. A fine watch for about $30.

Thanks for that information. I'm still a little confused when they tell you it's ok for diving down to xxxx amount of feet and that it should be 300 meters. I'm not diving down, just snorkeling. So, wondering if I could just get one that states 100 meters and be fine. Or is it just something to do with the salt water?

I've been doing searches (I really want a white watch) and came across this site saying the best dive watches:

http://womensdivewatch.org/womens-dive-watch-review.htm

I like both of the Fossil watches a lot. #4 states to 300 meters and I've tried doing more research on prices, where to buy the watch and so on. Most of the reviews, everyone likes the watch (but haven't seen much mention on them using it for diving or snorkeling :() Some of the sites I've found the watch on states it's good to 165 feet (or 50mm). So I'm not sure who is right. :confused:

I believe that Macy's (which we have here) is suppose to have them. Maybe I'll try looking there.

Any thoughts?

I have a Fossil watch that I bought at a Fossil's outlet several years ago. I cruise and snorkel at least once a year and I rarely, actually only when I shower, do I take it off. I've been swimming in pools, at beaches, and snorkeled with it many, many times. I've only had to replace the battery once in all these years (its been about 6 years now). I only paid about $20 for it. It displays the date and it glows in the dark so I can tell time at night in our inside cabins on cruises. I highly recommend Fossil but Timex are always trustworthy watches also cause "they take a licking but keep on ticking"!:D My Fossil watch is a silver, sporty style. I love it! Works for me!:D

Here is what I ended up getting...

Timex Ironman in the rose/purple color.

Spousal unit has used several Timex watches for diving over the years and they have worked fine. Just don't plan to replace the battery when it dies .... just toss it.

We've never had a problem with their 'water proof ness' but it can't hurt to test it. It it immediately floods you have a warranty claim!

So should I just take it and put it in a glass of water and hold it down with something for like...an hour or so to test it? (I always get nervous when I test water proof things for the first time...especially my camera when I first bought it). :eek:

So should I just take it and put it in a glass of water and hold it down with something for like...an hour or so to test it? (I always get nervous when I test water proof things for the first time...especially my camera when I first bought it). :eek:

I really don't think that is necessary. I've never had issues with my Timex watches, nor any other brand of watch that claimed good to 100M like the Timex - at least not unless the battery has been changed by someone not qualified for getting the water seals just right.

Besides if it doesn't leak it won't prove anything. Just getting it wet isn't what will cause problems it is the higher pressure the deeper you go. For example swimming puts comparatively little pressure in comparison to snorkelers that dive down 10 or 20 feet, and divers who go much deeper than that put even more pressure on the watch's seals.

I really don't think that is necessary. I've never had issues with my Timex watches, nor any other brand of watch that claimed good to 100M like the Timex - at least not unless the battery has been changed by someone not qualified for getting the water seals just right.

Besides if it doesn't leak it won't prove anything. Just getting it wet isn't what will cause problems it is the higher pressure the deeper you go. For example swimming puts comparatively little pressure in comparison to snorkelers that dive down 10 or 20 feet, and divers who go much deeper than that put even more pressure on the watch's seals.

I'm just afraid the same thing will happen as last year. I didn't test it and had it for months before cruising...then the minute I decide to go swimming and snorkeling...it fogged and it was too late to return it. I'd rather test it before going.

It might be a good idea. Then, you'd know whether the watch is really water resistant.

Any good water resistant watch should not have any condensation, at least not if you used it properly. I think it is always a matter of the watch quality.

Also, keep in mind that most of the water tests are static and done only once so your watch may not endure repeated water pressure exposure. For a really good water sports watch, it is always better to invest in a good diver's watch.

It might be a good idea. Then, you'd know whether the watch is really water resistant.

Any good water resistant watch should not have any condensation, at least not if you used it properly. I think it is always a matter of the watch quality.

Also, keep in mind that most of the water tests are static and done only once so your watch may not endure repeated water pressure exposure. For a really good water sports watch, it is always better to invest in a good diver's watch.

I bought the timex ironman and it's rated to 100m. So how long should I put it in the water to test it for the first time?

Just immerse it in a shallow basin of water for a couple of minutes. As one poster said, if it immediately floods, you have a warranty claim. It should at least withstand immersion for a couple of minutes. Just don't touch any of the buttons while it's under water.

But, if you would like to re-test using the standard for water resistance marking, you could follow this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

It might be kind of fun to experiment.:)

Just a quick pop-in.

The only watch I buy is a Timex-Ironman.

After about 5 years the battery croaks. And I just get another one with no worries. Never had one fail me.

I've got a pool. And never take it off. (Quite the tan line. :D)

Low cost and you can beat the crap out of them.

Don't be tentative on testing them. Put one under water and hit it.

"Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking."

Just a quick pop-in.

After about 5 years the battery croaks. And I just get another one with no worries. Never had one fail me.

How long should I "put it to the test" so to speak? I don't want to just dip it and call it a day. That's not the real world. When I go snorkeling, I'm snorkeling almost the entire time we are there. I know that will be the real test (with the salt water and all). I just don't want another dud like I had last year. :(

Just a quick pop-in.

I bought one of these years ago for a cruise and love it and have a secret for you.

Once I replaced the battery myself or had it done at a store (can't remember which) and afterwards it was not waterproof. I bought another one and when the battery on that died I sent it to Timex for replacement, cost is $10 including return shipping, hoping they'd do a better job. Well, they sent me a brand new identical watch. I find the batteries run out after about 2 years (I wear these cheap watches about 90% of the time saving my nicer watch for dressier times) and each time the battery runs out I sent it in and got a brand new watch back. I'm on my fourth watch since buying the original around 7 or 8 years ago. I'm guessing their cost on these is so low it doesn't pay for them to pay for the labor to change the batteries.

So I decided to do my "test" last night. I filled up a huge bowl of water and dropped the watch in.

Then I got busy and completely forgot about it! :eek: I didn't discover it until this morning when I woke up and seen it still sitting in there. :rolleyes:

Nothing so far...I guess I'm good to go. :D

Archived