Can anyone answer this for me?

sailingnut

I am going on a big birthday cruise in November along with two of my high school classmates but there is a major problem. One of the classmates will not give me her information so I can book her on the cruise. I asked her time and time again and no answer. She gave me the deposit and I told her by mid-August I need the balance. So far she does not answer her e-mails. I even took a BA Balcony so we would have more room. I cannot downsize in cabin size now my TA told me. It was supposed to be my birthday cruise and I am a mess. Any suggestions?:p

Why can't you downsize? The final payment isn't due yet. You can downsize. This is a TA issue -- not a friend issue. Sorry. I hate when this happens but I have to be honest.

Unless the ship is sold out - which I highly doubt. You can cancel the friend off and move your cabin/deposit wherever you wish.

The TA must have a policy against cancellations. Ask them.

The difference in Balcony vs OceanView and Inside overall space is not that much.

Your expenses for 2 people vs 3 are of course going to be different. I think I would call the person and say you will be sending her deposit back tomorrow unless she gets booked, either through you or the TA. I am trying to think what is needed to book her yourself. Name for sure. Maybe you also need a birthday. Nothing else that she would be holding back that I can think of. Still, not sure I would want to sharing a small room with somebody that can not even provide this information.

As said, other that a few certain TA's, there is usually no charge to cancel if outside the normal cruiseline dates for final payment.

Is it possible the emails are going into a junk mail folder? Have you tried contacting her via telephone as opposed to email? Something this important really should be done over the phone.

Otherwise, I wouldn't stress it. Give her the final deadline and let her know that you will be returning her deposit if she does not respond. Pay off your balance and don't look back. The lack of response on her part appears that she is no longer interested or perhaps no longer financially able to go.

If you have three way calling on your phone, you might just connect her with the TA while you are on the phone and solve it that way. Really bites that your friend is pulling this.

Seems like jr. high but people do it at all ages...

Let us know what happens!

Liz

She is 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is her problem? I even saw her on facebook chatting and asked her outright and she did not answer. Right now, I looked on the TA site I booked on and the $125.00 deposit she gave me, she will get $35.00 less of that. Oh well! I still have my other friend, but it will be between the two of us and not the three! The cost will be higher! All I want to do is enjoy my big birthday and believe me I do not feel it!:o

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this! Is there someone else that might like to travel with you and the second person instead?

Please call the friend and plead with her to finalize her plans. Assuming you'll get her voicemail, give her a firm date and say something like, "If I don't hear back from you by X, I will have the agent send back the refundable portion of your deposit. It will really disappoint me, as I thought I had your committment and would really enjoy the trip with you."

Maybe she doesn't have the money to spare for the cruise and is avoiding having to tell you that? That still doesn't excuse her avoidance, just helps to understand. Point is, you need a firm answer.

Since you can see when she is on facebook, I would "message" her on Facebook. (Use message not her wall) That way you also have a copy of it without dealing with making sure you don't delete the sent mail through your regular email service. Just let her know that she needs to either call you or the TA with her information by whatever date you choose (just give her a few days). If not you will be cancelling her from the reservation and she will lose whatever part of her refund is not returned.

I would seriously consider whether you can come up with the money necessary to just cruise with the one cooperative friend. Do you really want this other person on your birthday cruise????? in your cabin????:rolleyes:

Drop her from your cruise. Period! It seems obvious that she is no longer interested or unable to travel when you are planning.

Since she isn't responding to you now, it will probably be a more stressful situation if she does go, even reluctantly. That will not make for a fun cruise. Cut your losses, go down to an OV or inside with your other friend and have a great time.

She shouldn't expect her deposit back! After all the burden she has caused you and your other friend. Defriend her immediately and move-on to have a great trip. IMO I would be glad she showed her true colors now and not when you were out to sea!

Just called my TA and changed from a balcony to a oceanview for the two of us, it is working out just fine. Told the TA to take her off the cruise. Just goes to prove, watch out who your friends are! I have been in a balcony before, they are very nice, but I am trying to save money! It is mid-ship with a picture window.:o Thanks everyone!

Just called my TA and changed from a balcony to a oceanview for the two of us, it is working out just fine. Told the TA to take her off the cruise. Just goes to prove, watch out who your friends are! I have been in a balcony before, they are very nice, but I am trying to save money! It is mid-ship with a picture window.:o Thanks everyone!

Have a great cruise!:)

Good choice. You don't need this kind of stress on your B-day cruise.

Honestly, changing to an OV from a balcony will give you pretty much the same interior space BUT a lot more spending cash. :D With regard to your 3rd wheel, their loss. Have a fantastic cruise!!

Archived