CintiPam's Review of June Marina Baltic Treasures Cruise

CintiPam

[quote name='LHT28']Pam is you are thinking of spending 21 days + driving around look into the buy back programs, Peugeot among others have them[/quote]

Unfortunately (but fortunately for our savings), my spouse still works full-time, and gets just four weeks vacation a year, one week of which he saves for other things (like our son's wedding next year!). He also gets antsy after about 2-1/2 weeks away from the office. Last year, our cruise was 14 days (two days longer than previously) plus three days in Venice and three in Barcelona, and he felt it simply was too long for him away from work.

It also does not help that here in Cincinnati, fellow workers and bosses tend to look at you askance if you take more than two weeks off at one time. When we first moved here from Manhattan, it seemed like everyone either went to Michigan or Hilton Head for vacation only, and taking more than a week at a time was unusual. It was such an adjustment, because we moved here from Manhattan, where usually you took your vacation in one large chunk of at least three weeks, because it was so difficult to get away from the office.

Of course, the contrast of NYC and Cincinnati, way off my off topic, could lead to another five-page essay alone!

[quote name='caribbeansun']A friend of ours has been on 3 Uniworld river cruises and we are most likely going to try their [URL="http://www.uniworldcruises.ca/Destinations/Europe/European_Jewels"]European Jewels[/URL] itinerary.[/quote]

A belated thanks to Advenlee for the river cruiseline recommendations. Carribeansun, my travel agent recommended Uniworld (which I mistakenly named as Unitours on the second page of this thread) for river cruises. I took a look at their Elbe cruise, which comes the closest to the cities we want to visit (Krakow, Budapest, Prague and Berlin).

My main concern about the car suggestion is that we primarily will be in cities and what to do with the car in them. For our week exploring Normandy and the Loire, it was great, but I picked it up at CDG and returned it to Orly, opting not to drive one in Paris. But for our proposed itinerary focusing on Krakow, Prague, Budapest and Berlin? Just seems somewhat impractical, although it would be great not to have to adjust our itinerary to the train and bus schedules.

Isn't it funny how it's always MEN who feel they can't be away from work for too long!? I'm married to one of those men too.
My favourite line now is "Well, if you want me to keep working....(fill in the blank with my bribe)
Me....love my job, but could never be away TOO long, not if I'm on an O cruise, or touring at the beginning/end of the cruise!

Marian

[quote name='CintiPam']A belated thanks to Advenlee for the river cruiseline recommendations. Carribeansun, my travel agent recommended Uniworld (which I mistakenly named as Unitours on the second page of this thread) for river cruises. I took a look at their Elbe cruise, which comes the closest to the cities we want to visit (Krakow, Budapest, Prague and Berlin).[/QUOTE]

We just returned home from the Marina's Route of the Vikings cruise. Prior to that, we spent 4 nights each in Budapest, Prague and Berlin. I had looked into river cruises but we felt we needed more time in these three cities, especially since we also wanted to make day trips to Cesky Krumlov and Szentendre, so we schlepped bags from city to city on the train.

You really can't buy your train ticket for Budapest to Prague online, especially since the website is in Hungarian. As soon as you get to Budapest, go to the train station and buy your ticket. The cheapest ticket is 19 euro per person and you can request a reserved seat. The next cheapest ticket was 59 euros so when they run out of the 19 euro "spar" ticket, you are stuck! The train was clean and comfortable. We had seats with a table where we could eat our lunch.

You can buy your train tickets for the Prague to Berlin segment online. I think they were around 19 euro also. We couldn't get reserved seats so we got to the train station about 40 minutes before departure and made sure we were one of the first to board. All the cars have 6 person compartments.

These cities are primarily walking cities so we joined walking tours in each of them. Berlin Walks had a great 4 hour walking tour of the downtown sights.

No matter how you decide to visit these cities, I'm sure you will have a memorable trip!

[quote name='Senior Citizen']We just returned home from the Marina's Route of the Vikings cruise. Prior to that, we spent 4 nights each in Budapest, Prague and Berlin. I had looked into river cruises but we felt we needed more time in these three cities, especially since we also wanted to make day trips to Cesky Krumlov and Szentendre, so we schlepped bags from city to city on the train.

You really can't buy your train ticket for Budapest to Prague online, especially since the website is in Hungarian. As soon as you get to Budapest, go to the train station and buy your ticket. The cheapest ticket is 19 euro per person and you can request a reserved seat. The next cheapest ticket was 59 euros so when they run out of the 19 euro "spar" ticket, you are stuck! The train was clean and comfortable. We had seats with a table where we could eat our lunch.

You can buy your train tickets for the Prague to Berlin segment online. I think they were around 19 euro also. We couldn't get reserved seats so we got to the train station about 40 minutes before departure and made sure we were one of the first to board. All the cars have 6 person compartments.

These cities are primarily walking cities so we joined walking tours in each of them. Berlin Walks had a great 4 hour walking tour of the downtown sights.

No matter how you decide to visit these cities, I'm sure you will have a memorable trip![/quote]

Thanks very much for this information, Senior Citizen. Your post has the honor of being the first entry in my Eastern Europe 2012 Word docs.:)

BTW, we just received the Uniworld 2012 river cruise itineraries booklet in the mail today from our TA, and there is no Elbe river cruise on its 2012 itineraries!

Regarding the car rental issue ...

We have often rented cars in Europe. Since DH doesn't like to drive and I do, these days I'm the designated driver. And I only drive an automatic.

It's true that when you order an automatic, you DO tend to be upgraded. We've had more Mercedes sedans than I can think of, when we ordered a compact car.

I don't drive in big cities! Paris is a nightmare although we've had to do some driving there. Usually we spent most of our time getting lost.

But in cities like -- I was about to say Lyon, but in Lyon we had the car in the hotel garage. So in towns like Besancon or Dijon, yes we drove. Parking wasn't impossible. In major cities, it does tend to be.

When we spent some time in Tuscany in May 2005 we had 4 days in Florence and then picked up our compact which turned out to be a Mercedes sedan. We arrived at our B&B near Pienza where we'd gotten a price break because we pleaded poverty, and I'm sure our hostess decided that we were cheating HER because we had such a big car ... but that didn't occur to me until after we had left.

I don't mind driving in Europe, other than the idiots I've met on the road.

Especially in France.

[quote name='Mura']...I don't mind driving in Europe, other than the idiots I've met on the road.

Especially in France.[/quote]

Mura, that is somewhat ironic to me because I was so impressed with the French drivers on our Normandy and Loire Valley trip. On the toll roads, everyone stayed in the right line except to pass and obeyed the speed limits. It was such a pleasure compared to US highway driving.

Of course, I did not drive in Paris; we picked the car up at CDG after our overnight flight, went to Giverny, then on to Honfleur, Bayeaux and the Loire for the rest of the week. We dropped the car at Orly before returning for a week in Paris. Even I, a proud 11-year veteran of Manhattan driving, did not have the fortitude to attempt Parisian driving.:)

I thought the drivers in Greece were the worst, because the speed limits had nothing to do with what actually occurred on the roads.

Cinti, you're right about drivers in Normandy and the Loire Valley. I didn't have a problem there either.

Where I had the problem was in the Franche Compte, in northeastern France. Drivers would drive on both sides of the road. It was MY fault if they were on MY side of the road. And it is more mountainous there.

Italians weren't so great either. But then there are the Germans on the big highways ...

I haven't driven in Greece, but I probably won't ...

Mura

I planned to drive to Orvieto from Civitavecchia last year for our port day there, but because I was unable to find an automatic rental car at the port from any of the many car companies I contacted, I still have not driven a car in Italy.

I realize that I am way off the topic of my original thread posting regarding my views of the new Marina, but it is exciting to think of my next vacation.

Thanks, everyone, for indulging my love of travel talk.

You haven't lived (or driven) until you have driven in Naples.
I drove in London, Paris and all over Italy & Sicily, Western & Eastern Europe - all of that was a piece of cake compared to Naples :D
Never again!

[quote name='Paulchili']You haven't lived (or driven) until you have driven in Naples.
I drove in London, Paris and all over Italy & Sicily, Western & Eastern Europe - all of that was a piece of cake compared to Naples :D
Never again![/quote]

Driving in Naples: you must mean "a piec..a..pie"! :)

CintiPam,

It does appear that you aren't the only one to talk about driving in Europe!

I do think that we have an interest in this, at least those of us who rent cars over the pond!

But I'll cease and desist myself ...

Mura

[quote name='Mura']
But I'll cease and desist myself ...

Mura[/quote]

Mura, better watch out using those legal terms when talking with an attorney!;)

Actually, it's OK because I now call myself a "recovering attorney".

[quote name='Mura']That's okay, I'm a recovering paralegal!

Considered going to law school myself but wanted to be an opera star, so grad school wasn't in my sights.

Mura[/quote]

If the same four singers/four dancers troupe still is on Marina when you sail, I would be interested in your opinion of one of the two male singers. This young man had the courage to sing "Nessun Dorma" during one of the shows, and I thought it was fabulous. Of course, then I felt sad for him that he was singing the pop stuff when he was so much more suited to opera.

[quote name='CintiPam']Just realized that I am returning to this board all too often again, but that also this is the first time in more than three years that I have no future cruise planned!:([/quote]

How about French Polynesia/Australia-New Zealand/Asia/Africa?

[quote name='Paulchili']How about French Polynesia/Australia-New Zealand/Asia/Africa?[/quote]

They all sound good to me, but my travel companion (still working so with limited vacation time) still is focused on Europe and its museums and its military history.

Did I mention on this thread or others that I am going to China (Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai), also Taipei and Hong Kong, for two weeks in October with some fellow art docents and our Curator of Asian Art? :)

[quote name='CintiPam']They all sound good to me, but my travel companion (still working so with limited vacation time) still is focused on Europe and its museums and its military history.

Did I mention on this thread or others that I am going to China (Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai), also Taipei and Hong Kong, for two weeks in October with some fellow art docents and our Curator of Asian Art? :)[/QUOTE]

Your China trip sounds fabulous. We did those cities with Viking three years ago and it was wonderful. But far more wonderful to go with such knowledgeable companions!

Mura

Archived