Pickpockets and Scams

yorkiemomjn

I just read this posting on another board & thought this was good information for everyone that travels. I hope it is okay for me to post it here.

On our Royal cruise this last April Princess brought Bob Arno on board to perform several shows. Bob was a professional pickpocket who now works with law enforcement agencies worldwide catching pickpockets and educating travelers on how to protect themselves from pickpockets and scams. He put on a series of very informative shows (all packed) and shared with us a web site that he has built to educate travelers on pickpockets and scams, http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/. It was fascinating to watch him repeatedly take items like watches and other items (even neckties) from the audience members even after he had them on stage and they knew he was going after them. In addition he is putting together a National Geograhic show to air this fall.

Thank you for this info. Even the most experienced travelers among us can always learn more from others.

These people are true magicians and we stand no chance against them if they choose us; best protection is to have only that on you with which you are willing (not wanting :D) to part - and hope they don't choose us :D.

My husband and I each purchased a PacSafe bag to carry our stuff in. They have tamper proof zippers and can't be slashed with a knife. Most on-line stores carry them.

...but you should read what he has to say about the PacSafe bags, he warns that if they try to grab it off your shoulder, you could end up being violently thrown to the ground and be injured. The site is well worth checking out, you may want to return those bags after what he has to say...

...but you should read what he has to say about the PacSafe bags, he warns that if they try to grab it off your shoulder, you could end up being violently thrown to the ground and be injured. The site is well worth checking out, you may want to return those bags after what he has to say...

I have a pacsafe purse & I will not be returning it

no matter what bag you have they can knock you to the ground trying to get it

I do not carry my life saving in it just daily essentials so i would give it to them rather than being injured

You need to be aware & carry money in different places on your person

NEVER go to the secret pocket when in a public place, if you need more $$ when shopping go to the restroom & get it from your hiding pocket

I have a pacsafe purse & I will not be returning it

no matter what bag you have they can knock you to the ground trying to get it

I do not carry my life saving in it just daily essentials so i would give it to them rather than being injured

You need to be aware & carry money in different places on your person

NEVER go to the secret pocket when in a public place, if you need more $$ when shopping go to the restroom & get it from your hiding pocket

Hi Lynn,

...it wasn't my suggestion, I was just trying to point out what Bob Arno had to say about them on his website, personally my wife and I use Rick Steves Civita shoulder bags, if we feel we're in a bad area we hug onto them and wait until the "threat" moves on...

...my experience now in suspicious territory like train stations is to avoid any area where there's a crowd, and if you have to be in one, then we both stand on guard for each other by standing back to back. We always use a hidden pocket or something similar and never keep anything in our bags that we're not prepared to lose - stuff like maps, snacks, water bottles and maybe souvenirs that we've picked up that day...

cheers,

the Imagineers

Hi Lynn,

...it wasn't my suggestion, I was just trying to point out what Bob Arno had to say about them on his website, personally my wife and I use Rick Steves Civita shoulder bags, if we feel we're in a bad area we hug onto them and wait until the "threat" moves on...

the Imagineers

I carry my purse across my chest while holding on to it ..flap side against my body

but if the thieves want it I will give it to them ;) Maybe they need the kleenex, mints, hand sanitizer more than me

We wear our Tilley pants & keep our money in the pocket ;)

Lyn

Lyn is correct...... a violent offender can knock anyone down, it has nothing to do with the type of purse you are carrying. A PacSafe purse protects you against the more artistic thieves: with the locking zippers, hidden mesh/web structure and the cable in the shoulder handle.

Lyn is correct...... a violent offender can knock anyone down, it has nothing to do with the type of purse you are carrying. A PacSafe purse protects you against the more artistic thieves: with the locking zippers, hidden mesh/web structure and the cable in the shoulder handle.

It's not so much that they want to knock you down - it's that a motorcycle "drive-by" thief (esp in Italy) will grab the purse/bag and rip it off of you as they speed by - very possibly injuring you (dislocated shoulder/broken collar bone) and you won't even see it coming as they'll be coming from behind you. Giving it up peacefully will not be one of the options :mad:

They won't know until later that all you had in there were Kleenexes and hand sanitizers, by which time you could be in the local hospital .......

The important thing is to use common sense. If you have any type of bag visible to the public thugs, you stand a chance of getting robbed and possibly injured. The same applies to wearing jewelry. A lot of women wear CZ diamonds while out on a tour but the thief isn't going to stop and have it looped and analyzed prior to forcibly taking it from you. Leave everything in the cabin or on your person. I have customized a sports bra with a zipper to conceal valuables. I recently found a site called http://www.scottevest.com They specialize in clothing with hidden zippers and pockets including boxer shorts and baseball hats. I am very happy with what I have purchased. :)

Archived