More bad news in Greece

JimandStan

I haven't talked to O, or even my TA, but it doesn't sound (from the article) like the taxi cab guys are going to be backing down any time soon. I'm due to be in Athens in late October (on Marina) and I'm thinking that the odds are good that if the itinerary isn't changed (if so, very likely at the last minute) that we will just opt to stay on board.

In our case, it could be worse ... they upgraded us to a VS on Marina. There are worse places to be!

But I've been looking into private tours in Athens and I'm very hesitant to book anything.

People on earlier cruises than ours have a more serious problem. Maybe Riviera won't have this problem, assuming things settle down by next April.

I do think that if I were the chief honcho at Oceania, I'd be avoiding Greek ports for the next 6-9 months. But that's me.

Mura

Mura-

One thing about the Vista Suites on Marina, is that you have to be very firm with your Butler about where the cushions for the outdoor furniture are stored, or they will fill your "gym" up to the rafters with it every night.

The good news is that your terrace is unbelievably comfortable; the bad news is that they never planned where to store the gol-darned cushions!

Enjoy the Marina, and please order the Lobster Pad Thai in Red Ginger.......absolute heaven!

Enjoy the Marina, and please order the Lobster Pad Thai in Red Ginger.......absolute heaven!

I second that Mura. I had it on all 4 visits to Red Ginger during my B2B in May. It is to die for & I can't wait for April to come around to have it again on Riveria.

for the lobster and a vote for the sea bass, too. And I suggest trying the duck and watermelon salad. I'm not a duck person and never would have tried it if someone else hadn't suggested it. Sorry we are OT for Athens.. but I do miss Red Ginger!

Mura-

One thing about the Vista Suites on Marina, is that you have to be very firm with your Butler about where the cushions for the outdoor furniture are stored, or they will fill your "gym" up to the rafters with it every night.

The good news is that your terrace is unbelievably comfortable; the bad news is that they never planned where to store the gol-darned cushions!

Thanks for the warning! I noticed a similar problem in the OS and VS on the "R" ships except that they did manage to find nooks and crannies for hiding the pillows and such. (Not that we have been in such lofty quarters all that often.)

Since so many people have ranted and raved about the Lobster Pad Thai, I'm sure to have that. I've already made reservations for Red Ginger and Jacques ...

Mura

for the lobster and a vote for the sea bass, too. And I suggest trying the duck and watermelon salad. I'm not a duck person and never would have tried it if someone else hadn't suggested it. Sorry we are OT for Athens.. but I do miss Red Ginger!

+1

I love watermelon and I love duck - but I would have never tried them together, nor would I think that they would be good together.

However, it is a great salad and I had it several times. Same for Sea Bass - I don't normally order it but as people raved about it, I tried it - outstanding!

Sorry Athens :mad:

+1

I love watermelon and I love duck - but I would have never tried them together, nor would I think that they would be good together.

However, it is a great salad and I had it several times. Same for Sea Bass - I don't normally order it but as people raved about it, I tried it - outstanding!

Sorry Athens :mad:

+2

The duck and watermelon salad was such a wonderful combination of both textures and tastes, a truly memorable winner.

If you enjoy lobster, the lobster thermidor in Jacques is fabulous.

Mystifying how we got from taxi strikes in Greece to lobster thermidor...

The Athens forum of sister website tripadvisor does a fantastic job updating all interested travelers daily regarding taxi strikes, airport slowdowns, metro shutdowns, etc. in Athens, so why talk more about them? This is an Oceania forum and food is Oceania's greatest claim to fame!:D

+2

The duck and watermelon salad was such a wonderful combination of both textures and tastes, a truly memorable winner.

If you enjoy lobster, the lobster thermidor in Jacques is fabulous.

That's what I had, too. It has long been a favorite of mine and I was excited to see it on the menu!!:D

I have another question about getting to the airport in time. My last time in Athens, my flight wasn't until around noon, and we had to wait some time for the airline desks to open.

This time, we will have an 8 a.m. flight. Will we get to the airport in time with docking in Pireaus? I had thought about staying overnight at the airport, but we are going on another trip right after the Maiden and will be flying to Zurich and want to leave the day of ship's arrival.

Comments for those who have had the early flights. Thanks

(And yes--RED GINGER--it is ALL good. Love the presentations as well. Great restaurant).

I have another question about getting to the airport in time. My last time in Athens, my flight wasn't until around noon, and we had to wait some time for the airline desks to open.

This time, we will have an 8 a.m. flight. Will we get to the airport in time with docking in Pireaus? I had thought about staying overnight at the airport, but we are going on another trip right after the Maiden and will be flying to Zurich and want to leave the day of ship's arrival.

Comments for those who have had the early flights. Thanks

(And yes--RED GINGER--it is ALL good. Love the presentations as well. Great restaurant).

I am assuming that the ship is in Piraeus overnight.

If there is no taxi strike, a big IF at anytime, the traffic should be minimal that early (5:30-6 AM).

Otherwise there is a very nice (though pricey) Novotel(?) at the airport.

I agree with Paul

So many things can happen to delay your trip to the airport

I could not take the stress of making an early flight should some glitch happen but then again everything could run very smoothly & you make the flight no problem

But we are talking about Greece;)

Lyn

I felt that way as well. However, if I were to return to Houston all flights leave around 8:15 a.m. and I would imagine if I use O's air, that would be the flight as they would not put me up for the night because of the early am flights.

We, did, however, book a river cruise to follow the Maiden since I couldn't connect up with another O trip and to do a B2B involved all ports to which we had already been.

I still think I will listen to you all and plan my flight the morning of the 25th. I can surely enjoy a night in Athens even if it is at the airport. If the taxis are running, then we can head into town, I suppose.

I felt that way as well. However, if I were to return to Houston all flights leave around 8:15 a.m. and I would imagine if I use O's air, that would be the flight as they would not put me up for the night because of the early am flights.

We, did, however, book a river cruise to follow the Maiden since I couldn't connect up with another O trip and to do a B2B involved all ports to which we had already been.

I still think I will listen to you all and plan my flight the morning of the 25th. I can surely enjoy a night in Athens even if it is at the airport. If the taxis are running, then we can head into town, I suppose.

Don't be so sure O would fly you out at 8 AM

CO has this flight at noon:

Athens (ATH) to Houston (IAH) - Tue, Apr 24

Athens (ATH) to Newark (EWR) - Tue, Apr 24

United 105

Dep: 12:00pm

Arr: 4:00pm

11h 0m

Boeing 767

Coach (Y)

OPERATED BY CONTINENTAL

Layover in EWR

1h 25m

Newark (EWR) to Houston (IAH) - Tue, Apr 24

United 63

Dep: 5:25pm

Arr: 8:10pm

3h 45m

Boeing 757

Coach (Y)

OPERATED BY CONTINENTAL

IIRC, you are flying to Zurich - why not use the Swiss flight leaving at 2:10 PM arriving to Zurich at 4 PM?

Athens (ATH) to Zurich (ZRH) - Tue, Apr 24

SWISS 1831

Dep: 2:10pm

Arr: 4:00pm

2h 50m

Airbus A321

Coach (Y)

Otherwise there is a very nice (though pricey) Novotel(?) at the airport.

The nice, but pricey, airport hotel is a Sofitel, but even with one day only in Athens, I personally would prefer to stay downtown and take a taxi, the metro to the airport (which does not run in the wee hours of the morning) or the X95 bus to the airport, which does run 24/7. This year, Athens established a set rate of 35 Euros for a taxi to or from the airport during normal hours, inclusive of tolls, luggage, etc.

Thinking back, we had been so lucky to be on the Nautica Eastern Mediterranean voyage in October, 2008. We visited quite a few Greek islands and disembarked at Athens right at the turn of the world economic tsunami. It was still happy jolly when we were there, but just a few weeks after, riots started. Things have not recovered and there is no end in sight. How sad!

Thinking back, we had been so lucky to be on the Nautica Eastern Mediterranean voyage in October, 2008. We visited quite a few Greek islands and disembarked at Athens right at the turn of the world economic tsunami. It was still happy jolly when we were there, but just a few weeks after, riots started. Things have not recovered and there is no end in sight. How sad!

It's the unpredictable nature of these things that makes us do as much as we can while we can - for all sorts of reasons (politics, health, etc).

One year you can visit Lebanon, Syria, Libya - the next year you cannot; and who knows if and when you can again (or what's left to see, as in the case of Libya).

PaulChili, thank you for that info (you can tell I'm not a TA, right?). I did try to find flights but did not see any, and usually I'm pretty good, well let me say "fair," at finding good flights. I'm back on the web again, looking at it all.

I guess because I went to an unnamed general travel site and looked at flights meant I was limited to what they chose as "options." We've stayed in Athens twice, and I really would like to go to Zurich & Basel for a few days (hadn't been there since 1957--probably changed, huh ;)).

If we didn't do the river cruise from Zurich and return to Houston, the UA flight would be our choice even tho UA is not on our "favorite" list. I really, really appreciate your input. (See, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.)

Archived