Live Thread Caribbean Princess Canada/New England - July 19, 2011

karatemom2

Thanks so much for your reports on this cruise; I'm really enjoying reading along. I had hoped to do the 7-day NE in August but the only date I could do was sold out before I could commit. So I'm really enjoying this vicarious cruise along with you.

Do you think part of the lines issue is that the weather is too cold for people to be outside by the pools or enjoying MUTS or the pizza/burger grill?

Hope you have a great day in Halifax tomorrow!

The weather has actually been pretty nice for the cruise even in the cooler Canada ports so people have been outside. It isn't exactly sunbathing weather per se, but it has been pleasant and people have been able to spread out both inside and outside of the ship. I think the line issue tends to spring up when there is something that a large majority of the passengers tend to want to do at once, like go to dinner or get off the ship at a port or see a show or even go to tea on one of only two sea days. Trivia is generally packed. It just feels like that is when you really notice the extra passengers this ship carries. I believe they said there are 3281 passengers onboard. We are used to the Golden, Diamond and Sapphire that hold a max of about 2700 so perhaps that is why we are feeling the difference.

:confused:We are doing the Caribbean Princess' Repo cruise from NYC to the Caribbean on Oct 29-Nov 8 & was wondering about the condition of the ship since its going into drydock right after our cruise ends??:rolleyes:

I've noticed a few spots of wear and tear, but overall it seems that the ship is very well maintained. In fact I just heard today that it is headed to drydock this Fall and I was actually a bit surprised because it really looks very good.

Thank you for this report. We are leaving for a 7 day up north in 2 weeks. What do you think we will need to wear to watch MUTS during the evening?

Hope that you enjoyed your day in Halifax.

I would probably give the same advice as I would to someone heading for an Alaska cruise and that is to layer. We have heard on our tours that even when it is warm during the day, in the Canada ports it tends to cool down considerably in the evening especially at sea. We had a lovely day in Halifax today, but last night when I went out to get a soda from the outside bar it was foggy, cold and breezy. There were a few hearty souls enjoying MUTS, but they were bundled up and under blankets.

We just came inside after walking the Promendade deck and enjoying an absolutely stunning sunset complete with dolphins! The sea has been like glass and tonight was no exception. A completely beautiful evening.

We managed to drag ourselves out of bed when our wakeup call came at 6 a.m. and after a quick bite of breakfast in the buffet we reported to the Princess Theater by 7:10 a.m. for our excursion to Peggy's Cove. Getting off the ship this morning was a breeze. They ushered us right out and onto our buses. No lines, no fuss. On a brighter note, it didn't appear that there was much of a line for those going out on their own, perhaps due to the early hour.

The drive to and from Peggy's Cove takes about an hour but is very scenic. Peggy's Cove is a tiny fishing village on the coast that features a famous and oft photographed lighthouse. It is tiny, with a population year round of only 45 people. It was very quaint and made for many wonderful photographs, but it is a sleepy little place especially on a Sunday morning. My DH is a commercial lobster fisherman in California and he was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the town in action, but it is a weekend and off lobster season so it really ended up being more of a scenic stop. It was fairly crowded with all of the buses stopping at around the same time but most people tended to bunch up by the lighthouse. We took the time to walk all around the small little village and it made for a nicer visit.

We jumped back on the ship upon our return for a quick lunch at the grill before going back out for our afternoon excursion which really was the highlight of the day. It was an excursion to the Fairview Cemetery where more than 100 Titanic victims are buried followed by a visit to the Maritime Museum which features a Titanic display along with many other interesting displays. The stop at the cemetery was so moving and interesting and our guide was wonderful sharing so much information about some of the victims buried there, the Titanic disaster and the connections to Halifax, as well as so much other information about the history of the area. It was a really worthwhile excursion and my entire family really enjoyed it as it was equally great for any age.

All of our excursions up to this point have been booked via Princess Shore Excursions. We opted to go that route for most of our ports this trip since the excursions seemed reasonably priced and many covered things we really wanted to do. We have been very pleased with all of our choices. Tomorrow we are venturing out on our own in Bar Harbour with a morning tour booked privately with Oli's Trolley for a tour of Acadia National Park. It is a tender port so I am anxious to see how that will work tomorrow.

Tonight was the second formal night so after a brief pick me up with warm cookies and milk as we sailed away from Halifax we were able to muster the energy to change into our formal attire and head to dinner. Tonight we waited in a very short line and we were seated at a table for four immediately. The dinner was a hit once again with my choice being the Lobster and Prawns and my DH ordering that as well as the Beef Wellington for a surf and turf combo. My kids both love Escargot (yuck!) so they were thrilled to have it offered as a special appetizer tonight. We finished off a great meal with a Chocolate Hazlenut Souffle. It just doesn't get much better than that!

There is a party and balloon drop between 11 p.m. and midnight tonight, but I plan to be in my jammies and in bed at that point. I need some ZZZZs after another very full day.

We just came inside after walking the Promendade deck and enjoying an absolutely stunning sunset complete with dolphins! The sea has been like glass and tonight was no exception. A completely beautiful evening.

We managed to drag ourselves out of bed when our wakeup call came at 6 a.m. and after a quick bite of breakfast in the buffet we reported to the Princess Theater by 7:10 a.m. for our excursion to Peggy's Cove. Getting off the ship this morning was a breeze. They ushered us right out and onto our buses. No lines, no fuss. On a brighter note, it didn't appear that there was much of a line for those going out on their own, perhaps due to the early hour.

The drive to and from Peggy's Cove takes about an hour but is very scenic. Peggy's Cove is a tiny fishing village on the coast that features a famous and oft photographed lighthouse. It is tiny, with a population year round of only 45 people. It was very quaint and made for many wonderful photographs, but it is a sleepy little place especially on a Sunday morning. My DH is a commercial lobster fisherman in California and he was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the town in action, but it is a weekend and off lobster season so it really ended up being more of a scenic stop. It was fairly crowded with all of the buses stopping at around the same time but most people tended to bunch up by the lighthouse. We took the time to walk all around the small little village and it made for a nicer visit.

We jumped back on the ship upon our return for a quick lunch at the grill before going back out for our afternoon excursion which really was the highlight of the day. It was an excursion to the Fairview Cemetery where more than 100 Titanic victims are buried followed by a visit to the Maritime Museum which features a Titanic display along with many other interesting displays. The stop at the cemetery was so moving and interesting and our guide was wonderful sharing so much information about some of the victims buried there, the Titanic disaster and the connections to Halifax, as well as so much other information about the history of the area. It was a really worthwhile excursion and my entire family really enjoyed it as it was equally great for any age.

All of our excursions up to this point have been booked via Princess Shore Excursions. We opted to go that route for most of our ports this trip since the excursions seemed reasonably priced and many covered things we really wanted to do. We have been very pleased with all of our choices. Tomorrow we are venturing out on our own in Bar Harbour with a morning tour booked privately with Oli's Trolley for a tour of Acadia National Park. It is a tender port so I am anxious to see how that will work tomorrow.

Tonight was the second formal night so after a brief pick me up with warm cookies and milk as we sailed away from Halifax we were able to muster the energy to change into our formal attire and head to dinner. Tonight we waited in a very short line and we were seated at a table for four immediately. The dinner was a hit once again with my choice being the Lobster and Prawns and my DH ordering that as well as the Beef Wellington for a surf and turf combo. My kids both love Escargot (yuck!) so they were thrilled to have it offered as a special appetizer tonight. We finished off a great meal with a Chocolate Hazlenut Souffle. It just doesn't get much better than that!

There is a party and balloon drop between 11 p.m. and midnight tonight, but I plan to be in my jammies and in bed at that point. I need some ZZZZs after another very full day.

Sounds like another great day. Thanks for your continued reports.....:):):)

Bob

We will be on the Sept. 3 cruise and were wondering if you can make any suggestions for places to eat at any of the ports, especially Bar Harbor. We are interested in a really good lobster roll or lobster lunch. Thanks so much for all your information.

Living and working in Bar Harbor, I've eaten many a lobster roll and can tell you they are pretty much universal around here. Same for lobster lunches/dinners.

We had perfect weather in Bar Harbor today. I was worried about tendering but it was no problem at all. We got to the appointed dining room at 8:30 am and were directed immediately to a tender. It was nice to get into town early and have time for a fresh, warm blueberry muffin at the bakery on the dock. We spent the morning doing the Oli's Trolley tour through Acadia National Park. We did the two and a half hour tour which was really fun. After returning we headed down Main Street and found a cute casual little place that our driver recommended for lunch called The Lobster Claw where we enjoyed some delicious lobster rolls. We spent the next couple of hours exploring the little shops, eating blueberry ice cream in the park and strolling by the waterfront watching the lobster boats. We thoroughly enjoyed our day.

We made it back to the ship in time for trivia and then headed to dinner early so we could nab a table by the window to watch sail away. After dinner we headed to the Piazza to enjoy a preview performance by Alfred and Seymour, a very funny comedy team we enjoyed on the Golden a few months ago. They were just as entertaining this time around. We have another early day tomorrow in Boston so its off to do a load of laundry and then to bed.

KARATEMOM!!!!! You don't get sleep or 'down' time!:) Keep writing. We're leaving on the 20th via CB for the 7-nighter and VERY excited about it. Thanks to your wording, I think I can smell the muffins.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Maritime Museum and cemetary the most, being a Titanic fanatic! (is that morbid?)

Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep those postings....er....posted!!:rolleyes:

Have a GREAT day,

Andy

karatemom2...thank you so much for your enjoyable posts sharing your experiences with all of us. They have been VERY helpful for us as we finalize our plans for our October Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale cruise on the Crown. Thanks again for taking us along with you & we look forward to our cruise in only 81 more days! :D

Your postings have been so helpful. We will be on the August 13th sailing. Also have book Oli's tour for 10:00 - what time was your tour and what time did you get the tender? Any other tips about the ship, etc would be welcomed since it's our first Princess cruise - esp once you are home. Thanks again.

Vicky

Your postings have been so helpful. We will be on the August 13th sailing. Also have book Oli's tour for 10:00 - what time was your tour and what time did you get the tender? Any other tips about the ship, etc would be welcomed since it's our first Princess cruise - esp once you are home. Thanks again.

Vicky

I'm not Karatemom...but...

We did the Oli's tour at 10:00 last month. We were told to make sure we were on the tender by 9:00 at the very latest. You need to take your printed tickets to the ticket counter and pick up your tickets by 9:30 for the 10:00 tour.

We were on the tender well before 9:00.

Living and working in Bar Harbor, I've eaten many a lobster roll and can tell you they are pretty much universal around here. Same for lobster lunches/dinners.

Would you have any recommendations on the best places for lobster? We don't need a fancy restaurant but more of a hole in the wall with good, affordable (if that's possible) food for our late October day in Bar Harbor. We enjoyed Oli's Tour the last time but will only explore the town during our day in port.

Fl.Princess - if we get on an 8:30 tender will that work for a 10:00 oli tour? Thanks

Vicky

That will give you plenty of time. The ticket counter for Oli's Trolly is right there when you get off the ship. You may see a long line of people trying to buy tickets, but go to the counter for pre-bought tickets.

Fl.Princess - if we get on an 8:30 tender will that work for a 10:00 oli tour? Thanks

Vicky

We left the ship on the tender around 8:40 a.m. and were there in plenty of time. It is a very short tender ride and the Oli's Trolley counter where you redeem your internet tickets is right inside the building at the dock where you arrive. We exchanged our vouchers for tickets and then had time to sit in the little bakery and have some muffins before heading about a block up the street to where you board the trolley.

We have been so blessed with great weather and today in Boston was no exception. Apparently it rained so hard last night the Red Sox game was delayed for two hours, but today it was only partially cloudy and warm but not hot. We were off the ship before 8 a.m. to meet our tour guide Jane from Boston Private Tours. We found this tour company online and after reading great reviews about them decided to book for our family. We really wanted to see as much as possible in our short day here and focus in particular on the historical sites. Jane is National Park Ranger in the Concord area and often leads ship tours when she is not doing private tours. She was an absolute wealth of information and happily answered all of our questions.

Our tour started with a drive around Boston to view some of the historic sites within the city. We then ventured out to Beacon Hill, by the Cheers Bar and Fenway Park and then over the Charles River to Cambridge for a drive by Harvard. We made stops at historic sites in Lexington and Concord highlighting where shots were first fired in the American Revolution and stopped at the visitors center to view a wonderful multimedia movie about Paul Revere's ride and the unfolding of events that followed. We made many stops along the road that the British troops followed including the Old North Bridge where the first British soldiers were killed. In the park we had the chance to listen to a talk from costumed rangers about the role of the militia and minutemen in addition to viewing the actual loading and firing of a musket.

In Concord we stopped by the homes of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Louisa May Alcott before having a quick but yummy lunch in the charming downtown area. Heading back to Boston we parked and took a walk along the Freedom Trail where we visited the Old North Church, the second oldest graveyard in Boston, Paul Revere's home and a print shop located in a historic home next to where Ben Franklin's home formerly stood where we saw a demonstration with a period printing press. All that and we even got to meet some wonderful Boston Firefighters who kindly allowed my daughter to come in to use their restroom and chat with us for awhile. Just a bunch of great guys!

It was an awesome tour and I can't believe how much we fit into a 7 hour day. Jane was such a knowledgeable and hospitable guide. I really would recommend this tour to anyone interested in having a chance to customize your experience and learn about the amazing history of the area.

We were plenty tired when we got back to the ship and didn't really feel like going to the dining room tonight so we had a quick, casual dinner in the Cafe Caribe which worked out well as we were able to make the early show for Alfred and Seymour. They are so funny! If you are lucky enough to have them as entertainers on your cruise, do not miss the fun!

Tomorrow we are in Newport where we have a ship excursion booked first thing in the am which should help us avoid any tendering issues since we will be meeting in the Princess theater and ushered off in order to make our tour.

I can't believe we are almost at the end of our cruise!

Astro Flyer asked: .....Would you have any recommendations on the best places for lobster (in Bar Harbor)?....

I would recommend either the West Street Cafe http://www.weststreetcafe.com/ on West St, Stewman's Lobster Pound http://stewmanslobsterpound.com/ on West St or the Fish House Grill http://fishhouse-grill.com/ at the town (tender) Dock

The first street you come to as you leave the tender dock is West St. Turn right, Stewman's is about a 2 minute walk and on the right; West St Cafe about a 3 minute walk and on the left.

The only problem is that I don't know how late into the season they are open.

SBtS

Thank you again for your live post. We did again talk to our daughter today. She agrees with you, the weather was kind. The three of them did the Freedom Trail on their own. Money was a little tight for this trip. They saw alot, but did get lost once or twice. Your tour sounds great! The 3 split up about 2 and our daughter had lunch at a resturant close to the pier. Her friends are not seafood eaters, so they continued shopping. She is done! Bought everything she needed or wanted. Talked to her about 3, she was looking for a shower and a nice evening. Like you she can't beleive the cruise is almost over!

Archived