I <heart> Silversea...my confession.

Northerncheapo

I was never one for cruising. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I hated it. We won a cruise in 1987 and sailed on the Royal Caribbean, Song of Norway. Although it was nice, DH and I never felt like we ‘fit in’ even at ages 24 and 26. We smiled politely at the Hairy Chest Contests. We feigned interest in the Belly Flopping Contest. We put up with line ups for eating and getting on and off the ship...which was beyond me why we did when I NEVER would wait in line at home to eat...why would I do it on vacation?

In 2003 we tried again, towing our 10 and 11 year old kids with us. We ventured onto a Carnival Cruise. I have a distinct memory of wondering why ANYONE would find that atmosphere fun. It was total chaos, packed side-to-side with people, loud mouth contest participants, loud mouth non-contest participants...it was pure hell for DH and me. Kids had a good time, so that was good, but I was counting down the days to get off that ship. When you are gazing at the horizon and see land and think to yourself, “I’m pretty sure I can jump and swim that distance”, you know that cruising isn’t for you.

We live beside cruise LOVERS on both sides of us. On the one side, they cruise 3-4 times a year on Carnival or the like and they always would ask us to join them. I would listen to their stories after their cruises and I would cringe at the thought of spending a week on a boat like Carnival or even other mass-cruise types. The two neighbours on either side of me then went on cruises together and would come home with even more stories of the high-jinx that we missed out on. Nothing seemed less appealing to me than the reindeer games that are prevalent on cruises. Nothing seemed less appealing to me than to line up to eat and then eat with a table of strangers. Nothing seemed less appealing to me than, well, doing ANYTHING on those cruise lines! I swore I would NEVER go on another cruise.

And then I came across Cruise Critic...searched luxury lines...found Silversea....found....HEAVEN!!!

I was apprehensive about taking another cruise. I made my concerns known on the forums and everyone assured me that SS was NOT ‘regular’ cruising. So, last fall, DH and I took a leap of faith and went on a 1 week Med cruise on The Spirit. Oh. My. God. THIS was what cruising should be like!! THIS is SOPHISTICATED! This is ELEGANT! THIS is...this is...this is....CIVILIZED! No loud annoying announcements trying to rally up hairy chests! No loud obnoxious passengers screaming at their kids! No worries about eating dinner with strangers!

Why didn’t anyone TELL me that THIS was cruising and that other stuff, well...ISN’T?

I’m so glad I found you, Silversea. And as I read the other threads of ‘how to smuggle booze on board’, ‘can I wear a t-shirt on formal night if it’s clean’, ‘how do I get a Soda Card’....I am reminded that I am very fortunate to not be there, but HERE.

I love you Silversea! Can’t wait to see you again in 302 days!

Thanks for your post NorthernCheapo. I'm with you!

Like you, my wife and I heard all the great stories about cruising from friends and we thought they sounded horrendous. Just like you described them... awful, awful, awful.

So, after 20 years of these stories and constant nudging to "go" on a cruise, we finally decided to give it a try for ourselves and prove to them that we weren't cruisers.

We researched different lines and selected an Alaskan cruise itinerary on SilverSea. We couldn't believe it... we had the times of our lives and absolutely fell in love with SilverSea. We kept saying to ourselves, this is what Four Seasons would be like if they owned a cruise line.

Anyway, after our SilverSea experience in 2008, we've never wanted to try anyone else. I'm hooked and I'm loyal. I just wish I had the money to cruise with them as often as I like. Someday mind you... someday.

Passportready....ahhh, yah, how did you know?

When DH and I finally went on a cruise it was awkward when we told the neighbors for two reasons: 1. we didn't go with them after being asked several times a year for a number of years and 2. the whole luxury/cost aspect versus what their cruise was like.

First off, you're asked, "Silversea? Never heard of it". So you tactifully describe the cruise and what it's like which is pretty much the polar opposite of what their cruises are like,lol. And then, the million dollar question, "so, how much did that run you?". Sigh...it has put a damper on our friendship. Actually, let me backtrack...about 2 years ago, we were normal average earning people and then DH hit it BIG, and I mean BIG with one of his sales at work and since THEN, there has been a damper on the friendship as they witnessed the nicer car, the home reno's, the SS cruises. Quite honestly, as much as I HATE being on their type of cruise, they would equally hate being on my type of cruise. I don't think I come across snobby, but the optics may give them that impression.

Stumblefoot (almost called you stumbleupon again,lol), I hear you about wishing I could go more often! And I love your analogy of the Four Season's being a cruise line, this would be it! Right-0!

I was never one for cruising. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I hated it. We won a cruise in 1987 and sailed on the Royal Caribbean, Song of Norway. Although it was nice, DH and I never felt like we ‘fit in’ even at ages 24 and 26. We smiled politely at the Hairy Chest Contests. We feigned interest in the Belly Flopping Contest. We put up with line ups for eating and getting on and off the ship...which was beyond me why we did when I NEVER would wait in line at home to eat...why would I do it on vacation?

In 2003 we tried again, towing our 10 and 11 year old kids with us. We ventured onto a Carnival Cruise. I have a distinct memory of wondering why ANYONE would find that atmosphere fun. It was total chaos, packed side-to-side with people, loud mouth contest participants, loud mouth non-contest participants...it was pure hell for DH and me. Kids had a good time, so that was good, but I was counting down the days to get off that ship. When you are gazing at the horizon and see land and think to yourself, “I’m pretty sure I can jump and swim that distance”, you know that cruising isn’t for you.

We live beside cruise LOVERS on both sides of us. On the one side, they cruise 3-4 times a year on Carnival or the like and they always would ask us to join them. I would listen to their stories after their cruises and I would cringe at the thought of spending a week on a boat like Carnival or even other mass-cruise types. The two neighbours on either side of me then went on cruises together and would come home with even more stories of the high-jinx that we missed out on. Nothing seemed less appealing to me than the reindeer games that are prevalent on cruises. Nothing seemed less appealing to me than to line up to eat and then eat with a table of strangers. Nothing seemed less appealing to me than, well, doing ANYTHING on those cruise lines! I swore I would NEVER go on another cruise.

And then I came across Cruise Critic...searched luxury lines...found Silversea....found....HEAVEN!!!

I was apprehensive about taking another cruise. I made my concerns known on the forums and everyone assured me that SS was NOT ‘regular’ cruising. So, last fall, DH and I took a leap of faith and went on a 1 week Med cruise on The Spirit. Oh. My. God. THIS was what cruising should be like!! THIS is SOPHISTICATED! This is ELEGANT! THIS is...this is...this is....CIVILIZED! No loud annoying announcements trying to rally up hairy chests! No loud obnoxious passengers screaming at their kids! No worries about eating dinner with strangers!

Why didn’t anyone TELL me that THIS was cruising and that other stuff, well...ISN’T?

I’m so glad I found you, Silversea. And as I read the other threads of ‘how to smuggle booze on board’, ‘can I wear a t-shirt on formal night if it’s clean’, ‘how do I get a Soda Card’....I am reminded that I am very fortunate to not be there, but HERE.

I love you Silversea! Can’t wait to see you again in 302 days!

I'm with you too. Despite occassional glitchs or imperfections, they're still A-OK, and I always look forward to going again.:)

So, last fall, DH and I took a leap of faith and went on a 1 week Med cruise on The Spirit.
Perhaps you would like to try a longer voyage on the Shadow/Whisper, then you will have an even better feel of this line!

Ha Ha NorthernCheapo, I loved your post !

I can remember being in Juneau Alaska a few years ago when 4 of those massive boats were in port for the day - it was like a plague of locusts hitting town. We hired a car and got out of there ! ;)

I'm completely with you.

In March this year we were planning a few days away in May. We looked at our land based options and nothing was grabbing us. Then from nowhere I heard myself say 'how about a Mediterranean cruise?'. I have no idea where that came from because I'd always been adamant that cruising would be boring, I'd feel trapped on the ship, I'd be seasick, I'd hate it.

Now my dirty little secret is that I'd been looking at Silversea brochures since 1998....but still convinced that I'd hate it. I knew that the other cruise lines were definitely not for me - but if any could meet my needs, Silversea could.

So we booked 7 days on Silver Spirit, and made sure it was a port intensive itinerary - just in case I hated the ship ;)

Within one hour of embarkation at Barcelona I was in love.

The cruise was not perfect. There were some service issues, there was a cancelled excursion, there were rough seas for a couple of hours on the last night of the cruise.

But the day after we arrived home, I found myself gently swaying as if I were still on the ship, and looking at the SS website, ready to book my next cruise. I wanted longer ! I wanted some sea days !

As I write this, we're not quite booked on our next one. It should happen within the next few days. :D

I'm hooked. I'm pathetic. I often go to the marinetraffic.com site to 'check up' on Silver Sprit and see where she is. I look at pictures of her and feel some weird sort of emotional attachment....

Everyone had warned me that cruising is addictive. I don't know why it's addictive, I just know that it is.

And I'm very grateful that Silversea is something that I'm able to experience.

We kept saying to ourselves, this is what Four Seasons would be like if they owned a cruise line.

Actually, Four Seasons does offer cruises -- at least at one property in the Maldives. It's the Four Seasons Explorer -- a very small boat with three, four, and seven night trips. See:

http://www.fourseasons.com/maldiveskh/four_seasons_explorer/

The Explorer will be of interest primarily (really exclusively) to divers and snorkelers. It's a very luxurious dive boat.

We did not hit a jackpot--but we have prioritized our travel needs to include the cost of cruising Silversea a couple times a year. It has to do with once having our expectations met and the inability to compromise--knowing one probably would find oneself disappointed.

Having said that--this year we toured Crystal to see about the best of the big lines, we have yet to schedule, but are scheduled for the new Seabourn. so we're not bound---but definitely want the luxury we have come to expect.

We did not hit a jackpot--but we have prioritized our travel needs to include the cost of cruising Silversea a couple times a year. It has to do with once having our expectations met and the inability to compromise--knowing one probably would find oneself disappointed.

Having said that--this year we toured Crystal to see about the best of the big lines, we have yet to schedule, but are scheduled for the new Seabourn. so we're not bound---but definitely want the luxury we have come to expect.

Agree that comparison will do the trick -- it did for us. Early after initial Silversea experience we "tried" Seabourn and Crystal and actually did THE WORLD for a very short cruise, just to satisfy ourselves SS was OUR CRUISE LINE. It was and it is. :D

Not having travelled on a mega ship in over 15 years, I would imagine if you book a suite, go to the upgraded restaurants, have soda and alcoholic drinks and tip the staff your final cost would not be all that different from the Silversea and Seabourns of the world.

Agree that comparison will do the trick -- it did for us. Early after initial Silversea experience we "tried" Seabourn and Crystal and actually did THE WORLD for a very short cruise, just to satisfy ourselves SS was OUR CRUISE LINE. It was and it is. :D

Forgot to mention Regent -- perhaps because it was forgettable ....;)

Not having travelled on a mega ship in over 15 years, I would imagine if you book a suite, go to the upgraded restaurants, have soda and alcoholic drinks and tip the staff your final cost would not be all that different from the Silversea and Seabourns of the world.

My DH puts the pencil to paper on every thing we do--and he is convinced that the cost for say Oceania and Celebrity vs SS is not that far apart. And so on we go--Have done all the SS ships but Spirit and that is trans-Atlantic in October--- for a first time for us.

I agree with the OP. Silversea is our little oasis during special times of the year.

Depending on our mood or travel companions, we will sail with mass market lines to add a little variety (RCCL being one of our favorites). But when the swarm of people & kids get a little tiresome for us, we go back to Silversea or Seabourn for a quieter and more personal experience.

You guys are great!

Meow, we would love to try a longer cruise some day on Whisper, but alas right now my 18 year old son is taking the scenic route to maturation and I can't leave my house unattended for any length of time without a 'sitter'. It's hard to find someone willing to stay for more than a week :( But, as soon as he's straightened out, we'll be there with bells on!

Rojaan, you get the award for the quote of the week and for making me laugh HARD out loud:

"it was like a plague of locusts hitting town. We hired a car and got out of there ! ;) "

Observer, I did not know that the Four Seasons had a cruise ship! Thanks for the link!

To everyone else...thank you for saving the time, money and trouble of 'comparison' shopping ;)

I also agree, but have never really sat down and figured it out, that when you add in all the things that are not included in those other lines, that the $ isn't that far off from what we're paying.

Happy sailing, everyone...thanks for letting me express my silly little thoughts. I was inspired by reading, yet, one more Rum Runner thread and had to look it up. Seriously? These things actually exist! Who knew?

Anita

Good afternoon Northerncheapo.

I really enjoyed your posting. I've only sailed on one cruiseline.....SILVERSEA. 17 times to be exact. I'm hooked.......besides once you've tried the best.....why sail with anyone else.

Hope you know Loretta, if not please email me here.

Regards,

ScottToronto

Scott...wholly-molly...SEVENTEEN times? That is awesome...good for you!!

No, I do not know Loretta...who is she?

Anita

Mississauga, Ontario

Anita - Scott doesn't hold a candle to some frequent floaters on SS, and now you've started on your own days on board -- good for you !!!;)

Archived