Steakhouse experience - questions

ViolaSwamp

where is the pumpkin/feta parfait or the sushi platter

(i thought the ships have a sushi bar opened around dinner time. is that the same thing?

PS- I would NOT eat something before going to the steakhouse- it is way too much food

They used to have a sushi platter thing, haven't seen it for a while. They have a good Toro tuna tar tar, that's about as close to sushi as they have of late.

Hrm, I would think that the menu posted on the CCL site (that I linked to!) would be correct!! :rolleyes: Silly assumption, eh?? :o

Thanks all for weighing in.

One of my questions was whether or not they served Maine lobster, the answer seems to be NO, so, I will be getting the Prime Rib then! ("rock" lobsters are icky to this New England gal!)

I am so disappointed that the menu here: http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/GrandMed/Menus/chefsArt.htm appears to have eliminated the pumpkin/feta parfait - I LOVE both of those things and it sounds super!! I would have loved to have tried it but oh well! I see Maine Lobster Ravioli on the entree list, though, so that makes up for it! I guess my new order will be:

Escargot, Crab Cakes, Lobster Bisque

Yukon Mashed with Wasabi

Maine Lobster Ravioli OR Prime Rib - TBD

Caramelized Washington Apples in Puff Pastry

UNLESS they change the menu between now and February. Which is fine, I'm sure. :D

PS thanks to whoever posted the other menu.

I am so hungry now! LOL

where is the pumpkin/feta parfait or the sushi platter

(i thought the ships have a sushi bar opened around dinner time. is that the same thing?

PS- I would NOT eat something before going to the steakhouse- it is way too much food

On the CCL link I posted in my first post, the appetizer list includes those things...

Oww, 8 lber? You get it on the black market? Usually they won't sell anything over 4.5. An 8lber'll take your hand off:)

Coming from Maine I know the reason they don't normally sell the larger ones is they aren't that good... the larger they are the older they are and the tougher they tend to be...sometimes you can get a big one that is still good but they would rather not sell them because people are usually not happy with them...I would eat 4-2 pounders before I would eat an 8 pounder, anything I have ever had over 2 was not as good.

Hrm, I would think that the menu posted on the CCL site (that I linked to!) would be correct!! :rolleyes: Silly assumption, eh?? :o

Thanks all for weighing in.

One of my questions was whether or not they served Maine lobster, the answer seems to be NO, so, I will be getting the Prime Rib then! ("rock" lobsters are icky to this New England gal!)

I am so disappointed that the menu here: http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/GrandMed/Menus/chefsArt.htm appears to have eliminated the pumpkin/feta parfait - I LOVE both of those things and it sounds super!! I would have loved to have tried it but oh well! I see Maine Lobster Ravioli on the entree list, though, so that makes up for it! I guess my new order will be:

Escargot, Crab Cakes, Lobster Bisque

Yukon Mashed with Wasabi

Maine Lobster Ravioli OR Prime Rib - TBD

Caramelized Washington Apples in Puff Pastry

UNLESS they change the menu between now and February. Which is fine, I'm sure. :D

PS thanks to whoever posted the other menu.

I am so hungry now! LOL

Keep in mind that the Prime Rib is the size of a platter...it says 18 ounce I think but it was closer to 24...

If you want to get the Prime Rib, which was good, just HUGE, ask the server to bring you an appy or sample of the ravioli and they will, that way you get both!

Thank you all for your input!

I have submitted a reservation request for just DH and I for 6pm on our anniversary. I figure we can cancel this onboard if for whatever reason we'd rather do MDR with DD. OR we may try to amend the reservation to include DD, if we can't that's fine and we will just do MDR. Either way will be fine, I am sure.

I am so looking forward to my meal in the event we do go to the steakhouse:

Appetizers: Escargot, Pumpkin/Feta Parfait, Sushi Platter

(no salad)

Side: Yukon Mashed with Wasabi

Entree: Lobster Tail OR Prime Rib - TBD

Dessert: Washington Apple Tarte

YUMMY!!!!!!!! :D

For me the actual escargot in the bread was OK quite salty but let me tell you that the soup that comes with it is AMAZING!!! OMG one of the best tastes I have ever had. Delish!!!!! Enjoy, it is worth every penny and can be a romantic dinner or a nice family dinner.

Reading all the post praising about the Steakhouse, I'm so eager to try it on the Glory next month.

But I'm thinking how to convince my friends (4 other girlfriends that I'm cruising with). We're all first time cruiser, and I don't know whether they want to pay extra $30. I'm worry that they will be disappointed and blame me for the extra $$ since they're all kind of spoiled by NYC restaurants :(

Coming from Maine I know the reason they don't normally sell the larger ones is they aren't that good... the larger they are the older they are and the tougher they tend to be...sometimes you can get a big one that is still good but they would rather not sell them because people are usually not happy with them...I would eat 4-2 pounders before I would eat an 8 pounder, anything I have ever had over 2 was not as good.

Ya, those of us in the know eat chicks or pound and a halfs, or good sweet softshells.:) But folks 'from away' like to see the big ones, even though they aren't very tasty. Oh well. I know some lobstermen that bring home big 5 or 6 pounders that they can't legally sell to make chowder with, but that's about all they are good for. I worked one summer on a Halibut longliner, we caught a 40 pound lobster on a longline, looked like a dog! They have a 40+ pounder over in one of the oceanarium over in MDI. Makes you afraid to go in the water!;)

Oww, 8 lber? You get it on the black market? Usually they won't sell anything over 4.5. An 8lber'll take your hand off:)

LOL..nope! BJ's wholesale here on Cape Cod. They get them pretty often from just over the bridge... They're usually either Canada or US tagged... :)

DSCF22131.jpg.071142348d5d770fd0cac61e0bf9f4ff.jpg

LOL..nope! BJ's wholesale here on Cape Cod. They get them pretty often from just over the bridge... They're usually either Canada or US tagged... :)

Yep, that's a beast! I know the Canadians have less rules on higher weight lobsters. The only reason we do is most lobsters over 4 pounds are furtile females, so to keep the population up they don't want them taken.

Anyone know if they offer sea bass in the MDR at all? I tried it for the first time a year or so ago while on a business trip and LOVED it. Don't want to "waste" my red meat night at the steakhouse for it though.

Anyone know if they offer sea bass in the MDR at all? I tried it for the first time a year or so ago while on a business trip and LOVED it. Don't want to "waste" my red meat night at the steakhouse for it though.

They have Basa on the MDR dining menu....it's a KIND of sea bass/catfish type fish. But not like the Chilian Seabass that has popularized the fish and might be what you had. It's closer to a Striped Bass that we have on the East Coast, taste wise. Still pretty tastey though, had it last year and would order it again.

I think it's worth every penny and I am sure your DD (especially if she likes to eat) will enjoy eating in a special dining room like that :)

I say GO for it!!! You won't regret it.

They had it last month on the Dream.

[quote name='elcuchio24']Yep, that's a beast! I know the Canadians have less rules on higher weight lobsters. The only reason we do is most lobsters over 4 pounds are furtile females, so to keep the population up they don't want them taken.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they throw the big females back.. I have yet to get a lady in that size range..I love my lobster..but I think the girls need to stay in the ocean to make sure I have plenty of males to eat! :) There is always a mix of US and Canada lobsters in that range....and I know I've seen them pull the big uns off the Rachel Leah and William Bowe ( Hyannis lobstermen from Lobster Wars)

[quote name='elcuchio24']They used to have a sushi platter thing, haven't seen it for a while. They have a good Toro tuna tar tar, that's about as close to sushi as they have of late.[/quote]

[B]Just got off the legend Sunday sushi was available every day at the sushi bar.[/B]

[quote name='Crazy4Koko']I'm pretty sure they throw the big females back.. I have yet to get a lady in that size range..I love my lobster..but I think the girls need to stay in the ocean to make sure I have plenty of males to eat! :) There is always a mix of US and Canada lobsters in that range....and I know I've seen them pull the big uns off the Rachel Leah and William Bowe ( Hyannis lobstermen from Lobster Wars)[/quote]

Notch those tail and throw them back! Ya, different rules for different areas, those boats you listed are deep sea highliners, I believe their weight limit is higher then Gulf of Maine day boats.

[quote name='ViolaSwamp']So I am considering booking the night of our 10th anniversary, dinner at the Carnival steakhouse.

Before I drop the $30 per person, however, I have a few questions to ask.

I've reviewed the menu: [URL]http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/MyReservation/images/SL_SC_Menu_508.pdf[/URL]

My questions are...

[LIST=1]
[*]Is this the standard menu, e.g. does it include ALL of these items EVERY night, or a subset? I ask because out of the appetizers, I can say that there are five that look mouthwatering, and I would have a helluva time selecting which one to order. Which brings me to my next question...
[*]Can you order more than one appetizer per person at the steakhouse? For instance I would rather have three appetizers, including one in place of the salad and one in place of the side dish. I know you can substitute in the MDR, I was unsure about the steakhouse...
[*]Are children allowed? Our very well behaved daughter will be with us - she will be 8 by the time we cruise. While we could just have a romantic dinner, just the two of us, for our anniversary, I'd feel terrible about leaving her out (after all she is the best thing about our marriage!). So I want to include her.
[*]Do children pay full price? If so, then is $90 worth the experience we will have for a "special" anniversary dinner?
[*]What would you do, do you recommend spending $90 on this, or sticking to MDR that night? $ is not an issue, but if it isn't worth it in terms of food and experience, perhaps we will just do MDR. Opinions welcome!
[/LIST]I could probably find this out through research but I am hoping some CCL experts can help me out here. I really loved our Anytime Dining experience (though food was not superb IMO) in the MDR on my last CCL cruise in October 2010, so I'm sure we will be fine with that, just looking for some help in making the decision of whether or not a steakhouse dinner would be worth it for us!

Thank you!!![/quote]

[B]My wife ,9 year old son and myself ate there a week a go tonight.[/B]

[B]My son got the porter house,you should have seen his eyes when it arrived. the beautiful sever from Serbia cut it up for him. He will remember the steakhouse forever. My wife got a fillet and I had surf and turf plus a nice piece of my sons porter house. I had the chocolate sampler. It was a real piece of art to look at even better to eat. I would eat here twice if you feel like it because the MDR was not that good. Hope have fun we did.[/B]

[quote name='patches2004']I would like to know also about the steak house, does a person have to formal or casual dress? Thank you...[/quote]

I've gone in a spaghetti strap full length sun dress/wrap with hubby in khakis and his favorite hawaiian shirt. 'Upscale casual' is probably what I would consider minimum dress for the steakhouse...something you would wear to a 'better' restaurant. The 'Freedom family' looked like this in October:

[quote name='melli_fera']Anyone know if they offer sea bass in the MDR at all? I tried it for the first time a year or so ago while on a business trip and LOVED it. Don't want to "waste" my red meat night at the steakhouse for it though.[/quote]

[url]http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/7Day.htm[/url]

do not rely heavy on the stuff on carnival site. The bar menu listed there is quite a few years old and lists old prices

[quote name='tracyanns']Keep in mind that the Prime Rib is the size of a platter...it says 18 ounce I think but it was closer to 24...

If you want to get the Prime Rib, which was good, just HUGE, ask the server to bring you an appy or sample of the ravioli and they will, that way you get both![/quote]

Excellent suggestion, thank you !! :)

Archived