Steakhouse experience - questions

ViolaSwamp

So I am considering booking the night of our 10th anniversary, dinner at the Carnival steakhouse.

Before I drop the $30 per person, however, I have a few questions to ask.

I've reviewed the menu: http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/MyReservation/images/SL_SC_Menu_508.pdf

My questions are...

1. Is this the standard menu, e.g. does it include ALL of these items EVERY night, or a subset? I ask because out of the appetizers, I can say that there are five that look mouthwatering, and I would have a helluva time selecting which one to order. Which brings me to my next question...
  2. Can you order more than one appetizer per person at the steakhouse? For instance I would rather have three appetizers, including one in place of the salad and one in place of the side dish. I know you can substitute in the MDR, I was unsure about the steakhouse...
  3. Are children allowed? Our very well behaved daughter will be with us - she will be 8 by the time we cruise. While we could just have a romantic dinner, just the two of us, for our anniversary, I'd feel terrible about leaving her out (after all she is the best thing about our marriage!). So I want to include her.
  4. Do children pay full price? If so, then is $90 worth the experience we will have for a "special" anniversary dinner?
  5. What would you do, do you recommend spending $90 on this, or sticking to MDR that night? $ is not an issue, but if it isn't worth it in terms of food and experience, perhaps we will just do MDR. Opinions welcome!

I could probably find this out through research but I am hoping some CCL experts can help me out here. I really loved our Anytime Dining experience (though food was not superb IMO) in the MDR on my last CCL cruise in October 2010, so I'm sure we will be fine with that, just looking for some help in making the decision of whether or not a steakhouse dinner would be worth it for us!

Thank you!!!

So I am considering booking the night of our 10th anniversary, dinner at the Carnival steakhouse.

I've reviewed the menu: http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/MyReservation/images/SL_SC_Menu_508.pdf

My questions are...

1. Is this the standard menu, e.g. does it include ALL of these items EVERY night, or a subset? I ask because out of the appetizers, I can say that there are five that look mouthwatering, and I would have a helluva time selecting which one to order. Which brings me to my next question...
  2. Can you order more than one appetizer per person at the steakhouse? For instance I would rather have three appetizers, including one in place of the salad and one in place of the side dish. I know you can substitute in the MDR, I was unsure about the steakhouse...
  3. Are children allowed? Our very well behaved daughter will be with us - she will be 8 by the time we cruise. While we could just have a romantic dinner, just the two of us, for our anniversary, I'd feel terrible about leaving her out (after all she is the best thing about our marriage!). So I want to include her.
  4. Do children pay full price? If so, then is $90 worth the experience we will have for a "special" anniversary dinner?
  5. What would you do, do you recommend spending $90 on this, or sticking to MDR that night? $ is not an issue, but if it isn't worth it in terms of food and experience, perhaps we will just do MDR. Opinions welcome!

I could probably find this out through research but I am hoping some CCL experts can help me out here. I really loved our Anytime Dining experience (though food was not superb IMO) in the MDR on my last CCL cruise in October 2010, so I'm sure we will be fine with that, just looking for some help in making the decision of whether or not a steakhouse dinner would be worth it for us!

Thank you!!!

Same menu every night, don't know if you can order more than 1 appetizer per person, I never have with the main course I would be too full, I usually can't even finish my dessert. Children are welcome, but you pay the full price. And yes the steakhouse is well worth the money. If there is a steakhouse on the ship than we do it at least once every cruise. Julie G.

I dont know about the appetizer, I would assume you could just like in the MDR but not sure. As far as the value goes, I know my wife and out two adult kids LOVED the steak house on Legend. It was worth every penny. $30.00 each seemed steep to us on top of everything else but afterwards I felt compared to restraunts that charge this amount and then some.....the value blew them away. I am not sure if you 8 year old would appreciate it enough for the price though. If it were me, I'd opt for a dinner for two and some alone time....but that is a personal choice as you know. Have fun and enjoy!

My questions are...

Thank you!!!

1. There is a standard menu, but they do have specials. We went to the Steakhouse on Dream on the last night of our cruise and enjoyed giant ribeye steaks not on the menu.

2. We opted for 2 appetizers each and skipped the salad course.

We would highly recommend the Steakhouse, especially for a special occasion. The food was outstanding, the portions huge, and the atmosphere was more private and quiet than the MDR.

You can order as many appys, side dishes and desserts as you like, if you order a second entree there is an upcharge of like $15 or so

You can bring your daughter but she will be full price. I have to say we have done this both ways, and it is going to be a 2-2 1/2 hour dinner so she may be better off having dinner with Camp Carnival that night, that way you 2 have your special time and she can have dinner with her new friends...she may be the best part of your marrige but she wasn't there 10 years ago...I don't think she will feel left out and I think she may enjoy herself more with the other kids.

The standard menu is the same every night but I can tell you that they may bring out a few little extas in between for you to sample...

Warning...this is a LOT of food, go HUNGRY. We go to the steakhouse atleast once on each cruise when they have one, usually twice and I don't eat anything but a salad for lunch that day just to put a little something in my gut...the food is so good you don't want to stop eating it!

Congrats and enjoy!

Dinner can easily take 2 1/2 hours. Will your daughter sit still for that long for dinner?

It is a great meal though. Cost of $ 30 is above the cost of the dinner you have already paid for in the DR.

Yes, it does take a while, but so worth it.

Thank you all for your input!

I have submitted a reservation request for just DH and I for 6pm on our anniversary. I figure we can cancel this onboard if for whatever reason we'd rather do MDR with DD. OR we may try to amend the reservation to include DD, if we can't that's fine and we will just do MDR. Either way will be fine, I am sure.

I am so looking forward to my meal in the event we do go to the steakhouse:

Appetizers: Escargot, Pumpkin/Feta Parfait, Sushi Platter

(no salad)

Side: Yukon Mashed with Wasabi

Entree: Lobster Tail OR Prime Rib - TBD

Dessert: Washington Apple Tarte

YUMMY!!!!!!!! :D

Sorry to hi-jack this.....just wanted to clarify as i had the same questions! Me and my fiance are planning on doing this one night as well.

I can get an appy, salad, entree and 2 sides if i want? I know it's a lot of food but i want to try the potato, the mushrooms AND the veggies!!!

Also, I have heard wonderful things about the chocolate sampler for dessert and want to try that, but don't see that on the menu?!

Sorry to hi-jack this.....just wanted to clarify as i had the same questions! Me and my fiance are planning on doing this one night as well.

I can get an appy, salad, entree and 2 sides if i want? I know it's a lot of food but i want to try the potato, the mushrooms AND the veggies!!!

Also, I have heard wonderful things about the chocolate sampler for dessert and want to try that, but don't see that on the menu?!

They have the chocolate!!

5890522325_4259e31273.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmm my husband and I are Supper Club fanatics!! Always eat there at least once, usually twice.

I would sell my soul for that Lobster Bisque, it's soooooooo good I could eat it every day and not get tired of it. Be forewarned that the one in the dining room will never taste as good after you had the one in the Supper Club.

I did not care for the Lobster in the Supper Club it was not Maine lobster, I'm thinking it was called african lobster or something, not what I wanted, when we want Lobster we order them from Maine, expensive yes but it's worth it. I love the lamb and my husband ADORES the Porterhouse.

The Wasbii Yukons are delish too, and the chocolate desert mmmmmmmmmm.

They always bring out little treats, last time it was champaigne Sorbet, to die for, we complemented the chef and they brought us out bigger bowls of it!! Of course we were too full to eat it, but that's just how outstanding the service is!!

Thanks now I'm hungry!!!

Have a wonderful time, Carole

I had the Lobster at the steak house-DONT-it's a steak house, however my friends who got a surf and turf got Maine lobster tail, and a filet mignon, i got the lobster and it was Bahamian, no claws, large tail., Not as sweet, DH got a porterhouse and ate the whole thing! Size of a cow! the steak, not my DH.

If you want two apps get two, two desserts fine, two veggies fine. But remember this is like 3X the size of a meal in the MDR. We were very full, and in fact I was so full I should have skipped the dessert. It was good, but I was too full to enjoy it. I think it wise that you made the reservation for two. ;)

The lobster tail is only slightly larger than the DR tails..but then again, hubby and I just shared an 8lber for our 24th wedding anniversary..so that is not a treat for me..

I prefer to order a cut of meat I wouldn't normally have at home..I had the 5 spice seasoned rib eye in October...and I've had the Porterhouse in the past...yummmmmmm!!

and I recommend the tiramusu martini to go with your chocolate or cheesecake dessert!!

The lobster tail is only slightly larger than the DR tails..but then again, hubby and I just shared an 8lber for our 24th wedding anniversary..so that is not a treat for me..

I prefer to order a cut of meat I wouldn't normally have at home..I had the 5 spice seasoned rib eye in October...and I've had the Porterhouse in the past...yummmmmmm!!

and I recommend the tiramusu martini to go with your chocolate or cheesecake dessert!!

Oww, 8 lber? You get it on the black market? Usually they won't sell anything over 4.5. An 8lber'll take your hand off:)

I had the Lobster at the steak house-DONT-it's a steak house, however my friends who got a surf and turf got Maine lobster tail, and a filet mignon, i got the lobster and it was Bahamian, no claws, large tail., Not as sweet, DH got a porterhouse and ate the whole thing! Size of a cow! the steak, not my DH.

If you want two apps get two, two desserts fine, two veggies fine. But remember this is like 3X the size of a meal in the MDR. We were very full, and in fact I was so full I should have skipped the dessert. It was good, but I was too full to enjoy it. I think it wise that you made the reservation for two. ;)

Ya, the lobster in the Steakhouse is just a large spiney lobster tail, not a whole Maine Lobster, I'd stick with steak if I were you.

Appetizers: Escargot, Pumpkin/Feta Parfait, Sushi Platter

(no salad)

Side: Yukon Mashed with Wasabi

Entree: Lobster Tail OR Prime Rib - TBD

Dessert: Washington Apple Tarte

YUMMY!!!!!!!! :D

either this is from an old menu or they redid the menu again. (I do not see the two things you have listed for appeitzer

here is an updated one.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/GrandMed/Menus/chefsArt.htm

.....off of one of the Carnival web sites.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/supperclub.pdf

wasiii

There is the chocolate sampler!! YUM! I'm doing the steakhouse just for that! My hunny wants to do it anyways, i can't eat that much, but i'll do it for him AND the chocolate sampler :-)

Also, i see broiled filet mignon as an entree but if you get the surf & turf you get your filet mignon grilled. Can i substitute the broiled filet for the grilled filet as my entree? I don't want the surf & turf as i do not eat fish....

where is the pumpkin/feta parfait or the sushi platter

(i thought the ships have a sushi bar opened around dinner time. is that the same thing?

PS- I would NOT eat something before going to the steakhouse- it is way too much food

Archived