Chances Carnival Will Pull out of Puerto Vallarta

cdamion

Any predictions for Carnival's future in Puerto Vallarta next year? Princess still has both PV and Mazatlan on their schedule, but this year are just doing Ensenada and Cabo overnight - which I suspect will extend into next year.

I am thinking of Splendor in the spring and would hate to give up a nice cabin at a nice price on Spirit only to have PV canceled.

Everything is really up in the air on these ports. We did Cabo, Matzallan, and Puerto Vallarta this past winter and everything worked like a clock. We had a group of 13 and we did all feel out of place in Matzallan. A week after beiing in Maztzalla the news showed two murders in the hotel complex we were taken to and dropped of at. There is bad things going on in those areas. Only you can make the decision to proceed with those ports. Knowing now what I didn't then no way we would have gotten off the ship. SORRY!!!!

We have done the MR 3x and the only port that i felt unsafe in was Matzatlan the people in the taxis tried to take u as far from the port as they could thank god my dh spoke spanish and told them to get us back to the port now we were tired of the games...

Everything is really up in the air on these ports. We did Cabo, Matzallan, and Puerto Vallarta this past winter and everything worked like a clock. We had a group of 13 and we did all feel out of place in Matzallan. A week after beiing in Maztzalla the news showed two murders in the hotel complex we were taken to and dropped of at. There is bad things going on in those areas. Only you can make the decision to proceed with those ports. Knowing now what I didn't then no way we would have gotten off the ship. SORRY!!!!

How did you feel in Puerto Vallarta? Splendor is doing PV Cabo/Cabo in March. This is with kids too, so if there is any danger there, I would not take the same risks with them that I may take if I was traveling on my own.

so if carnival does pull out of PV what will that mean for us that are already having to do the 2 days in cabo with PV. Will it then be 3 days in cabo or 2 days in cabo and a different port?

If they did pull out, then they would also pull the Splendor with it.

We were in PV last summer and we felt fine honestly. We went ATVing in the desert and rode through town to get there, but did not feel threatened in the least. But, that was the same feeling in Mazatlan too, we just walked to the water taxi and spent the day at Stone Island.

We did the MR last November on the Spirit, and one of the stops was Acapulco. I am by no means a nervous Nelly and like to get exposed to the local culture as much as possible when we travel, but I felt horribly uneasy there (we were on a tour and not wandering by ourselves). DH and I later wondered aloud to each other why Carnival still stops there. From what I've later read, Acapulco has had more issues with violence than Mazatlan. So who knows what the rationale is and what Carnival will decide.

wonder if they will just change the intin. like they did with the swine flu cruises. Where did they end up cruising to?

Not many other options. Doubt they could fill ships going north in the winter months....

Unfortunately for the Mexican people, the cruise lines are all pulling their ships from the Mexican Riviera ports.

When we were in Mazatlan a couple of months ago, there was a shooting in the town.

The Mexican Government really needs to rid itself of inertia, ineptness and corruption and declare war on the drug cartels. Until that happens, it will be bleak for the cruise

industry in western Mexico.

How did you feel in Puerto Vallarta? Splendor is doing PV Cabo/Cabo in March. This is with kids too, so if there is any danger there, I would not take the same risks with them that I may take if I was traveling on my own.

We got off the ship and our whale watching tour departed basically right from the ship. It was a nice little area there where the ship is docked. We didn't venture out into the city at all. While there it was reported 14 people were murdered in Alcapulco. I just have no interest in going back until things change in Mexico.

I just don't understand the thinking of these cruiselines. There is just as much violence in Los Angeles as there is on these ports of call. People just need to be wise to their surroundings. There may have been two people shot at the hotel in Mazatlan, but that is not the only destination in that city. You also don't ditch a port because of an isolated incident. If this were a weekly happening at this hotel I would understand the concern.

I do believe the violence in Mexico is out of hand, but it is not alone and hate to see ports of call altered as a consequence.

We spent 2 weeks in PV in March of 2010 staying at the Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace Marina and felt safe the entire time. We ere told of places to stay away from but all places have those. Went to several downtown restaurants and shops in both old town\New town and felt very welcome. We were told not to go because of the crime also. Maybe we were just lucky but we had a great time.

It's all a matter of perception and the perception right now is that Mexico is a dangerous place because of the murders and violence.

And it is! Sure there is crime in every city, but you don't receive reports of multiple beheadings and the execution of police and politicians that is occuring in Mexico today. Those are chilling stories and have an effect on the general population here as well as those considering a cruise.

I just don't understand the thinking of these cruiselines. There is just as much violence in Los Angeles as there is on these ports of call. People just need to be wise to their surroundings. There may have been two people shot at the hotel in Mazatlan, but that is not the only destination in that city. You also don't ditch a port because of an isolated incident. If this were a weekly happening at this hotel I would understand the concern.

I do believe the violence in Mexico is out of hand, but it is not alone and hate to see ports of call altered as a consequence.

I think the cruise lines are making the sensible decision here. Until such time as the violence subsides it will have to be a destination vacation for those who want to enjoy these areas. IMO too dangerous a place to unload thousands of passengers with families.

so if carnival does pull out of PV what will that mean for us that are already having to do the 2 days in cabo with PV. Will it then be 3 days in cabo or 2 days in cabo and a different port?

That's exactly what I am wondering. I would hate to pay several hundred more dollars to get 2 extra days and an extra port on a cruise to end up having it be Cabo/Cabo/Cabo or Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada like Princess has done.

We spent 2 weeks in PV in March of 2010 staying at the Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace Marina and felt safe the entire time. We ere told of places to stay away from but all places have those. Went to several downtown restaurants and shops in both old town\New town and felt very welcome. We were told not to go because of the crime also. Maybe we were just lucky but we had a great time.

We also go there almost evey other year

As someone who lives in northern San Diego County I must say I agree with you completely. The L.A. Times and evening news from L.A. are riddled with violent crime news every night from Long Beach, homeport of the Splendor. I wouldn't go to Long Beach night or day and yet I felt safe last January on my 9 day SPIRIT cruise to PV,La Paz, Cabo, Mazatlan and Ensenada.

That's exactly what I am wondering. I would hate to pay several hundred more dollars to get 2 extra days and an extra port on a cruise to end up having it be Cabo/Cabo/Cabo or Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada like Princess has done.

My Spirit cruise for 3-16-12 is now substituting Manzanillo for Matzalan.

It would not shock me, I can no longer go to Mexico. I was on the Splendor on 12/12/09 when we were in PV my wife and I went to the bar right by the dock in that small village of shops. Talked to the bartender forever and left my card with him in case he ever visited the states. 1 year later I got a call from the Mexican authorities and they said I was a suspect in a murder in PV of a bartender. A few days after that I got a call from the FBI telling me not to worry that they know it wasnt me but then they asked why my card was stapled to the bartenders head. So I have been advised by the FBI to never go to Mexico again since they dont keep great records and can toss me in Jail as a suspect.

Its horrible he was a great guy and a US citizen and my wife and I can never do that cruise again :o(

As someone who lives in northern San Diego County I must say I agree with you completely. The L.A. Times and evening news from L.A. are riddled with violent crime news every night from Long Beach, homeport of the Splendor. I wouldn't go to Long Beach night or day and yet I felt safe last January on my 9 day SPIRIT cruise to PV,La Paz, Cabo, Mazatlan and Ensenada.

Lol I work in Long Beach and there is not violent crimes every night. Its actually a very nice city. Just like anywhere else in the U.S. most cities have good areas and bad areas including San Diego.:rolleyes: I think they should not cut out the ports. Just like any other time we are all grown adults and we have to decide to go into town or not.

We went on Splendor in May and took an excursion in PV then we got off the bus by choice when it was over in old town to shop and walk the malacon. At no time did we feel unsafe, there are taxis everywhere ready to take you to the ship which is 10 minutes away. the price only 3 dollars a person. Cabo and PV are not having the same drug war type issues as Mazatlan, and shouldn't all be lumped into the perception of danger.

Are cruises going to stop going to st thomas? it has been dangerous for a long time. people need to do the research on places they are going to visit and use caution when visiting. I hope Carnival continues its mexico itineraries.

My Spirit cruise for 3-16-12 is now substituting Manzanillo for Matzalan.

Please try to leave the ship in good shape as I will be boarding as you disembark.

PS assuming you are in San Marcos? I just came to Chicago a few years ago from right by Shadowridge in Oceanside/Vista area.

Archived