Key West-anything like Cabo???

TravelRocker

Ok, this is probably a very general and subjective question but I am curious. Took a Mexican Riviera cruise earlier this year and fell in love with Cabo, the harbor, the shops and restaurants and markets, could have used another day there.

Next February we will be visiting Key West on another cruise. Is Key West anything like Cabo??? We won't be there too terribly long but want to do some shopping, (love bargaining in the markets!) drinking, sightseeing near the water etc. etc. Am I on the right track??? Or not??? Thanks for any and all info you can give me.

Ok, this is probably a very general and subjective question but I am curious. Took a Mexican Riviera cruise earlier this year and fell in love with Cabo, the harbor, the shops and restaurants and markets, could have used another day there.

Next February we will be visiting Key West on another cruise. Is Key West anything like Cabo??? We won't be there too terribly long but want to do some shopping, (love bargaining in the markets!) drinking, sightseeing near the water etc. etc. Am I on the right track??? Or not??? Thanks for any and all info you can give me.

TravelRocker...we miss the fog in SF! please send of it our way down the valley.

We enjoyed both Cabo and Key West.

Key West is a bit different...small beach town feel and no street vendors...but similar because you can also easily walk around town comfortably like Cabo. Shops, bars, restaurants, and warm beaches. Regrettably, you cannot haggle/bargain in Key West. Note: Look for the bar with thousands of dollar bills pinned against the walls...and order conch fritters!...and beer!...:) There is also a spot marked as the "Southermost point in the Continental US"...nice photo op.

I think of Key West as the northernmost Caribbean town. It is very tropical. The architecture, most especially in Old Town is unique. It has traits of old New England coastal architecture and elements of Bahamian and British colonial style. Wood is commonly used in building structures. The Crowne Plaza is the tallest building at only about seven floors high. I'm not sure of the exact number but it hardly qualifies as a sky scraper.

The plants, tees, flowers, shrubs are very tropical in nature...lots of palms, poinciana trees, colorful bougainvillia, and countless other tropical species.

Also, Key West is very boat-oriented. There are so many kinds of boats and ships even schooners. There are many jet skis and boats doing parasailing tours.

I have not been to Cabo, but have been to Cozumel and Costa Maya numerous times. These towns have a definite Mexican culture and I don't get a Mexican vibe at all in Key West. There are some Mexican restaurants, but Cuban also in Key West. Spanish is not the primary language. As was said above, you won't be able to wrangle on prices.

Also, Key West is part of the state of Florida and part of the US, so US currency is used.

When I was in Cabo, I saw no similarity to my hometown of Key West. Cabo has geography and beautiful beaches. Key West is flat, surrounded by mangroves, and the surrounding water is very shallow. The best white-sand beaches are off shore on out-islands that you will never see unless you spend some time here.

In terms of geography, I think KW is similar to the Cayan Islands.

That said, KW is a party town with lots of tourist-minded bars. this is the U.S., so bargaining in the stores really doesn't happen except in the Israeli owned t-shirt shops (head shops). By the way, I highly recommend avoiding the head shops. I here story after story of people getting ripped off by illegal charges in those stores.

Well thank you so much for the replies, they are very helpful, sounds like the bar-scene is lively. I'm past the college age bar scene but don't want to be bored stiff over my drink either! I'm a little disappointed that bargaining is not done, but I'm sure we will find some "treats" none the less. Unfortunate that we will only be there less than one day, but to do anymore would be to miss-the-ship (!) and we are not in a mood for that, haha. Thanks again.

By the way, and this is important, what's the humidity like in February down there???

Bonasi3s-the fog has rolled back in last night. (Blowing it your way....) It's insane to have blankets on the bed in July!!! It's just not right!

When I was in Cabo, I saw no similarity to my hometown of Key West. Cabo has geography and beautiful beaches. Key West is flat, surrounded by mangroves, and the surrounding water is very shallow. The best white-sand beaches are off shore on out-islands that you will never see unless you spend some time here.

In terms of geography, I think KW is similar to the Cayan Islands.

That said, KW is a party town with lots of tourist-minded bars. this is the U.S., so bargaining in the stores really doesn't happen except in the Israeli owned t-shirt shops (head shops). By the way, I highly recommend avoiding the head shops. I here story after story of people getting ripped off by illegal charges in those stores.

I could not agree with this post more.

Mike:)

By the way, and this is important, what's the humidity like in February down there???

February relative humidity is very minimal. It's usually around the 50% range. The upper 70s temps are usually very comfortable in Feb.

I agree with Aquahound as well. No beaches really, but definitely bars. Lots of waterfront places to sit and relax and have a cocktail and people watch especially around the Marina. Duval is filled with shopping, mostly cheap tourist stuff, but it's the US, definitely no haggling. There are some kiosks to buy stuff at Mallorey Square especially near the evening when the Sunset Celebration is going on each night. I highly recommend stopping in at Capt. Tony's for a taste of old Key West and Irish Kevin's for some afternoon entertainment. If you want something fun and off the wall to do, take a walk through the Key West Cememtery in the center of town. REALLY cool headstones with funny sayings! If you have a few hours, ask someone to give you drections to Blue Heaven for lunch. An experience you will not forget!!

• 4 weeks later...

key west is no cabo by any means. cabo is rich, has a lot of fabulous modern architecture, and very nice restaurants and shops around the smallish harbor. it is first class. kw is kind of tacky inho, more like a usual carib port with lots of shirt shops, and really raunchy bars, which may appeal to some folks. truman annex, the turtle krawls, the sunset at the point, the audubon house, and, arguably hemmingways's abode are fascinating,but not mind blowing by any means. the lighthouse will give you fear of heights for sure. and the 'beach' has no waves/surf and is surrounded by vendors. i prefer cabo by far. los arcos is just plain beautiful. just mho. glad to be new here. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been to both and I liked them both. As mentioned by another poster, the architecture is very different. Cabo has a more modern feel to it and Key West has a quaint feel to it. (in my opinion anyway) I loved the cookie cutter trim on the porched wooden houses in Key West and the harbour in Cabo was beautiful to walk around.

Someone said there is a $5 store there. Is it still there and if so, anything special about it?

Yes. It's on Front St across from the back entrance of Hogs Breath. No, it is not anything special. In fact, I recommend avoiding it....along with all the other downtown t-shirt/head shops.

Oh I guess things change a lot. Had a relative who went there a while back and told me about it. Sounds like I need to stay away, huh?

Well, I wouldn't say it's that bad. As a local, I probably have a worse taste in my mouth than others. But I am familiar with a lot of those shop owners and they are notorious for ripping people off.

Archived