The one thing I wish I knew before my first cruise...

-

- How much I would like late dining.

Also, as to the discussion of cabin safes -- our cabin safe on the Fantasy last month had an electronic combination lock. We set the numerical password the first time we locked the safe and that was the password the rest of the cruise. No magnetic strips involved. Don't know if that something new or is unique to the Fantasy or Fantasy class ships.

Dream and Magic have those, too. I love it.:D

1. Take a sweater and long pants even in the summer and going to the Caribbean. Public areas inside the ship are often very cold! I don't know why they do that. They could save a lot of $ on fuel costs if they made these areas a few degrees warmer. Oh well...

2. Take a night light especially for inside cabins.

3. Artwork they try to sell you on the ship...don't waste your time.

4. Think you're going to get a great bargain on jewelry??? Think again.

5. See as many comedian shows as you can. Don't worry about seeing the big floor shows.

6. Several desserts look good? Order them and try! Same goes for appetizers.

Oops! Sorry OP...more than one piece of advise:o.

I agree 100% with all of the above advice! Especially the sweater/jacket part- some nights I was freezing while in the MDR or watching a show in the main ballroom. Then if you add a nice frozen drink to that and it makes it even more chilly!! ;)

I would like to add one more thing- power strip! Bring it!! It was needed in order to plug in the alarm clock, blow dryer, charger for my camera, etc...

I always take my cold mug and some root beer, then when I find the ice cream I get to make a root beer float!! Love walking around having people wonder where I got it from! :)

I'm going to try that next time! Thanks for the idea;)

As to the power strip:--YES. Can charge laptop (for downloading pics), phones (for the trip home) and my electric toothbrush which won't fit into the bathroom outlet (only for razors???? REALLY???)

How much of the clothes we brought with us would not be worn.....

One couple we went with on our first cruise were experienced cruisers and you think they would have imparted their knowledge to us. We had four suitcases and they had one.

Did you ask them to share their knowledge/tips with you?

FCC future cruise certificate.Costs $100 when your on board.2 years to redeem and you get $100 towards your cruise and $100 onboard credit.So basically you get a free $100 bill towards your next cruise sign and sail card .Its a win win

I have the carnival credit card ( I know its not the best but I pay it off monthly )

Our cruise in October we have $200 OBC

It does depend on how long your cruise is though. I paid $100 for the certificate (not with a carnival credit card) and I sent in the certificate for redemption for my upcoming 5 day cruise. They took $100 off of my fare, but I will only get $50 onboard credit :( It is still an extra $50 but, not what I thought I was getting. It is written in small print on the back of the certificate. Different amounts depending on your cruise length.

I remember our first cruise was a Disney Cruise. We pulled into the port, but we were scared to board the ship because it was noon and we hadn't eaten lunch. My mom asked someone (maybe security, maybe parking attendant - I don't recall!) from our car, "Is there any place around here we can eat?" And the guy said yeah, on the ship. :o That was a lucky surprise! Ever since we've always boarded the ship before eating lunch.

I'll echo you on the "informational talks." The port shopping show doesn't do me any good. They give you coupons to redeem free things, but you have to run all over the port to get them - and they aren't even worth picking up.

The power strip is a lifesaver.

Make friends! A cruise ship is fun because you see the same people every day, and everyone is there for the same amount of time, unlike a hotel in which people check in and out everyday. I'm a big people-watcher, so I like sitting outside the picture areas in the evenings and watching families get their photos taken (I'm such a creep! :o). But I've also learned to go do things by myself. No one in my family wants to go to the scrapbooking session? That's fine - I can go by myself and meet the nice people there that enjoy scrapbooking! :) I've made some great friends on cruises, three that I still keep in touch with!

Plan and do what you want to do. Don't try to please everyone in your group, or stay with everyone all the time.

This was my biggest hangup! The last 2 times I took a newbie, and was so worried about them having a good time I felt like a cruise director instead of a passenger! NOT this time! lol

I wish I had known about Cruise Critic! Such great information on every topic you can think of on here!

Also, the proper way to take Dramamine!:D I didn't read the label carefully enough and thought you took it if you started feeling sick. My first night of our first cruise was spent in the cabin. I re-read directions and had my ah-ha moment! No problems since then!

Vicki

I am seriously thinking of getting one of those over the door shoe holders everybody is talking about for our upcoming cruise ... we are 4 adults in one cabin. Anyway, I can't seem to find them online. All I can find is the metal ones. I assume you are all talking about plastic/vinyl ones. Where can I get one? :confused:

I am seriously thinking of getting one of those over the door shoe holders everybody is talking about for our upcoming cruise ... we are 4 adults in one cabin. Anyway, I can't seem to find them online. All I can find is the metal ones. I assume you are all talking about plastic/vinyl ones. Where can I get one? :confused:

Walmart has quite a few available online :) I get a lot of use out of mine, some people find little use but I always have a ton of stuff.

Saw them at Dollar Tree and Deals yesterday -- six pockets, clear. Backing colors in red, black, green etc. $1. Personally, I have never bought one in 44 cruises, however, and we have had four people in one room.

Pick out the clothes you think you will need and then put half back. Same applies for shoes. Black and white pants are all you need. Mix and match tops work great. Also don't be afraid to wear capris to dinner.

This is so true,, I always pack way too many clothes, and never wear them.. pack less clothes, and make sure you leave room, for anything you may buy,while on your vaction,, too have room to bring back..

On our honeymoon cruise we went with several other couples and we found ourselves pretty frustrated since DH is all about being on time and the others weren't like that. Two couples were constantly late from dinner to excursions, it was so annoying. Now if we travel with others we let them know up front this is what we're doing, feel free to join us if you choose but don't feel obligated, nothing is more annoying than having to wait around for others.

We have cruised with other couples,in the past.. and they would what to do, things we did not,, and the first few times, I felt like we had to go along, BUT aftre spending lots of money, on things we did not really what to do,, we had no problem,, saying ,,thanks ,but no thanks,, we'll wait here for you to get back. Don;t do something,or spend the money on something you don;t want to.

Saw them at Dollar Tree and Deals yesterday -- six pockets, clear. Backing colors in red, black, green etc. $1. Personally, I have never bought one in 44 cruises, however, and we have had four people in one room.

We had plenty of rom for our stuff on our first cruise, but with 3 "men" in the room, I got really tired of the questions like "where are my good shoes?" when all the shoes were under the bathroom sink on the shelf or floor. I swear, testosterone makes people blind. I thought the perhpas if all the shoes were hanging on the door, perhaps their vision would improve. ;)

You're searching at just the right time! There are a million different kinds of shoe organizers with the college dorm accessories. Check Target, Walmart, or Bed Bath & Beyond.

One tip I learned the hard way is to inform your credit union/bank you are going out of the country. On the 2nd day of our first cruise our S/S account was deactivated by my credit union with their fraud protection measures. But I guess most use credit cards instead of debit to fund their on board accounts. A simple visit to guest services fixed the problem. But having to be told my card has been denied is something I do not EVER like happening.

Was told in the future to call my CU and they would note the account and that problem has never happened again.

Make friends! A cruise ship is fun because you see the same people every day, and everyone is there for the same amount of time, unlike a hotel in which people check in and out everyday. I'm a big people-watcher, so I like sitting outside the picture areas in the evenings and watching families get their photos taken (I'm such a creep! :o). But I've also learned to go do things by myself. No one in my family wants to go to the scrapbooking session? That's fine - I can go by myself and meet the nice people there that enjoy scrapbooking! :) I've made some great friends on cruises, three that I still keep in touch with!

I had gone on a zip lining, cave tubing excursion and ached all over. Walking down the hall I said "Man, I need a chiropractor!" The guy behind me on his way to his cabin next to mine said, "I'm a chiropractor!" He offered to give me an adjustment and did! Best friends after that. Cheered his horse to a win!

Now I go solo and find the trivia games a great place to strike up conversations. On one trip I saw a couple I'd played with before and they offered me to play again...had played with them the cruise before! Hope to see them again.

Got a cheap one at Walmart. After about 8 cruises had to be replaced as the pocket bottoms torn open on several of them. Got another at Publix, a Florida, grocery and it's a lot stronger.

The larger ships have a nice vanity but the smaller ships have a sink with no where to put anything.

Archived