The one thing I wish I knew before my first cruise...

Yesterday on our Roll Call a soon to be first time cruiser asked for any pointers and I remembered one that I think is very helpful. My first cruise was in 2001 on the Triumph and I went with three other girls, all first timers and we were so by the book, meaning we went to every "important talk". These talks whether port/shopping/ debarkation were time consuming and always seemed to fall right in the middle of something fun or relaxing or when one of us had just scored some chairs in a great spot on the Lido.

After that cruise I learned that it wasn't necessary to run off to any "important talk" since they are played non stop on the in cabin tv throughout the day. Now I just tune in when I am getting ready for dinner and DH is showering. I know am not missing anything and have more time to enjoy my cruise.

If you could offer once piece of advice to a first time cruiser what would it be?

Pick out the clothes you think you will need and then put half back. Same applies for shoes. Black and white pants are all you need. Mix and match tops work great. Also don't be afraid to wear capris to dinner.

Go with the flow! Don't let each little incident get you all worked up. Skip a port? just go with it. Annoying tablemates? asked for a different table. Some little something in the cabin not right? tell your steward. The staff only want to please and will do most anything to make that happen. And, yes, big things can also happen....toilets overflow....engines break.....weather turns nasty. They are still trying to do everything they can to make your cruise experience wonderful. So, just go with the flow. You never know, it might not be exactly what you pictured, but it can be something else and that also usually turns out to be good as well.;)

Pick out the clothes you think you will need and then put half back. Same applies for shoes. Black and white pants are all you need. Mix and match tops work great. Also don't be afraid to wear capris to dinner.

Seven cruises and I am still working on this one, I still fail miserably. I am really going to strive to make this happen this cruise, since not only will I be happier DH will be thrilled. He could pack for an 8 day in one backpack if I would let him :)

Go with the flow! Don't let each little incident get you all worked up. Skip a port? just go with it. Annoying tablemates? asked for a different table. Some little something in the cabin not right? tell your steward. The staff only want to please and will do most anything to make that happen. And, yes, big things can also happen....toilets overflow....engines break.....weather turns nasty. They are still trying to do everything they can to make your cruise experience wonderful. So, just go with the flow. You never know, it might not be exactly what you pictured, but it can be something else and that also usually turns out to be good as well.;)

One of my favorites, I always try to go with realistic expectations and I think it works out well. The one thing I read often is that cruisers have issues that bother them but more often than not they never speak up, instead they let it stew and it ends up ruining their cruise. Many minor issues can be resolved but only if they are brought to the attention of those who can fix it.

Plan and do what you want to do. Don't try to please everyone in your group, or stay with everyone all the time.

On our honeymoon cruise we went with several other couples and we found ourselves pretty frustrated since DH is all about being on time and the others weren't like that. Two couples were constantly late from dinner to excursions, it was so annoying. Now if we travel with others we let them know up front this is what we're doing, feel free to join us if you choose but don't feel obligated, nothing is more annoying than having to wait around for others.

On our honeymoon cruise we went with several other couples and we found ourselves pretty frustrated since DH is all about being on time and the others weren't like that. Two couples were constantly late from dinner to excursions, it was so annoying. Now if we travel with others we let them know up front this is what we're doing, feel free to join us if you choose but don't feel obligated, nothing is more annoying than having to wait around for others.

Absolutely!! When we cruise with a group, we all go with 'no one is holding a flag, this is not an organized activity!'. Everyone pays the same amount of money for a cruise, so it should be spent the way they want to..if that means you only do something once or twice as a whole group..so what? You've got more to talk about at Dinner!

My 'wish I knew'...

Wish I knew the free hair shampoo and body soap was not exactly condusive to my skin/hair type. Now I always bring my own!

1. Take a sweater and long pants even in the summer and going to the Caribbean. Public areas inside the ship are often very cold! I don't know why they do that. They could save a lot of $ on fuel costs if they made these areas a few degrees warmer. Oh well...

2. Take a night light especially for inside cabins.

3. Artwork they try to sell you on the ship...don't waste your time.

4. Think you're going to get a great bargain on jewelry??? Think again.

5. See as many comedian shows as you can. Don't worry about seeing the big floor shows.

6. Several desserts look good? Order them and try! Same goes for appetizers.

Oops! Sorry OP...more than one piece of advise:o.

I would have liked to have known as a first time cruiser that you can ask for seconds in the dining room if you liked something and that if you didn't like something you could send it back and order something else. I would have also liked to know that you can order more than one type of entree or especially, more than one kind of dessert!

Take a large plastic tumbler for Lido lemonade, iced tea or mixing your own cocktails and take a light weight insulated coffee mug for enjoying your coffee on deck for sunrise or sunset. The cups/glasses on the ship are just too small !

Plan and do what you want to do. Don't try to please everyone in your group, or stay with everyone all the time.

AMEN to this!!!! I agree completely, my husband and I try to make it clear to everyone that there are no hard feelings for anything... we do what we want, you guys do what you want and if we meet up in the middle that's great to!!!!

Remember enough regular clothes. I was consumed with having enough dresses for dinner and bathing suits for the day (things not usually worn in my everyday life) that I didnt have enough regular clothing; tanks, t'shirts, shirts etc., the things I ended up wearing the most. Had to do laundry mid-week. :rolleyes:

The one thing that I wish I would have known was to take some dramamine (or bonine) a couple days BEFORE you set sail. I knew ahead of time that I get motion sickness but didn't know how I was going to be on the ship. The first night I was "OK". I felt the motion but it really didn't bother me too much. The next morning I woke up a little woozy but nothing too bad. So at breakfast (we ate in one of the dining rooms and were seated by the window in the back of the ship) all I was seeing out of the window were the waves. Nothing big, just little white caps but to me, you might as well of had a hurricane out there LOL I never made it through the meal. As soon as the plate of eggs were placed in front of me, I was done!!! Luckily, I didn't get sick but I didn't feel well AT ALL!!! I went back to my cabin, THEN took my dramamine and slept for a few hours. I just didn't know back then that if you have the motion sickness meds in you BEFORE you get sick, it works much better. So now, 2 days before I cruise, I start taking Bonine and continue taking one each morning of the cruise. I tend to still feel the motion of the ship, but I don't feel the nauseousness (sp).

1. Take a sweater and long pants even in the summer and going to the Caribbean. Public areas inside the ship are often very cold! I don't know why they do that. They could save a lot of $ on fuel costs if they made these areas a few degrees warmer. Oh well...

2. Take a night light especially for inside cabins.

3. Artwork they try to sell you on the ship...don't waste your time.

4. Think you're going to get a great bargain on jewelry??? Think again.

5. See as many comedian shows as you can. Don't worry about seeing the big floor shows.

6. Several desserts look good? Order them and try! Same goes for appetizers.

Oops! Sorry OP...more than one piece of advise:o.

the night light idea is a good one!Thanks!I'm not a first time cruiser but i'll take all the advice i can get!!

.....If you could offer once piece of advice to a first time cruiser what would it be?

.....don't start cruising in the first place.

If I knew how addicting it would be, I might never have started.

;)

wasiii

After fighting the lines on the Lido for breakfast and lunch for a few days, we found out that you could eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR. WOW! This was so much faster for our family and it was not crowded. You can get a much as you want, too, just like at dinner. ;)

Before my first cruise my aunt kept telling me. If there is some kind of food that you have been wanting to try and you see it on the menu order it. No harm in trying it because if you don't like it you just send it back and get something else.

I like the post about backing and taking half of it out. I am determined to pack much lighter this time around. We will see.

It made my husband very happy when I found out he could order a banana split off the Kiddie's Menu every night in the MDR.

OMG! I did not know that! Saw a banana split in someone's review last week and thought DARN I've never seen that on the menu! Now I know why!? It's on the kid's menu!! Definitely have to try that next time!

Thanks!

To take a carry on bag with a bathing suit, shorts etc....!!!!! I tell everyone because I wasn't told before my first cruise. :o Didn't know it could take hours before we got our suitcases and all that we had was the clothes that we flew in that morning! That was real fun walking around in and wishing we clould be swimming! NOT!! ha! :p

That to me is the most important!! :)

Bring an old gift card to use for opening the safe in the room.

Don't pack your suitcases totally full or you won't have room for souvenirs.

Sunscreen -- use it early and often. (Sunburn really stinks when you get it on the first day of your cruise.)

I definitely agree with the OP's comment regarding port talks etc.

Also, now I know that you can arrive basically at any time for embarkation. Our first cruise in 1996, I adhered by the cruise line information to arrive between 1 and 3 p.m. We flew in that day and got to the airport at 9:30 a.m. We claimed our bags and sat at the airport until it was time to go to the ship.

Archived