The one thing I wish I knew before my first cruise...

There is tea time every afternoon on sea days (at 3pm, I think). They have tea, desserts and little sandwiches. It is usually in the piano bar, but check your Funtimes to make sure. It is one of my favorite things to do on board. So relaxing!! --Katie

Glad to hear tea time is as relaxing as I thought it would be. I keep telling myself I will go to tea time but somehow I never seem to make it! Maybe on my next cruise.....

that I picked up from these boards is for inside cabins: Tune your television to the ship's bow camera and leave it there. It'll let you know when the sun's up and it's like having a window at no extra charge:D

You beat me to it!:p LOL...this has been my veryVERY favorite piece of advice. I wish I would have known about this when we took our inside cabin cruise. Now I just try to book PT cabins if I want to save money and still want a private ocean view;)

I also wish I would have known how much I was going to love cruising and I would have purchased a Future Cruise Certificate while on board my first cruise, for my next cruise:cool:

You can get free Carnival logo playing cards at Guest Services-just ask!

Tea Time is a must on sea days. They have a fabulous selction of petite sandwiches and desserts and it's just a fun relaxing atmosphere.

And definitely bring travel mugs or large water bottles to put your tea/water/juice in. The cups are way too small:rolleyes:

Glad to hear tea time is as relaxing as I thought it would be. I keep telling myself I will go to tea time but somehow I never seem to make it! Maybe on my next cruise.....

You have to try it next time! :D

I use a Nook and before our last cruise purchased 5 books. Thought I was all set - until I got on the ship and tried to open a book to read...still needed to download them:cool: As I didn't purchase the internet package I wasn't able to download - or so I thought. One of the crew overheard me telling my DH and he said try, you may get lucky and sure enough it worked. He said that there's ususally a short window of time between sailings that the internet can be accessed - boy that was lucky. Had time to download all of the books and when I tried to get online the system had already came up asking for payment or pin.

I hate to admit I still have no idea what a FCC is (well I know what it is) but can someone tell me the process? I thought I had read they have to be purchased with the Carnival Credit Card, is that true? I ask because I would like to plan my platinum cruise and if FCC are worth it I will look into it. I know we've walked by the desk before but we have never stopped.

FYI~For those of you who have points reward programs on your credit cards check to see if they offer any cruise certificates. I just recently realized that our Citi card has Carnival cruise certificates as a reward for points, for years we've been getting gas and Home Depot gift cards not knowing about the cruise ones. I was able to use two on this cruise, after I booked even though it says for new bookings. I also just ordered two more for $200 off my next cruise :)

FCC future cruise certificate.Costs $100 when your on board.2 years to redeem and you get $100 towards your cruise and $100 onboard credit.So basically you get a free $100 bill towards your next cruise sign and sail card .Its a win win

I have the carnival credit card ( I know its not the best but I pay it off monthly )

Our cruise in October we have $200 OBC

Haven't seen this: we always tip our bar server! Have EXCELLENT service! $1 for every drink. Some say we've already paid for this, but we do it anyway & have had free drinks at the end of the cruise - or not. Still, service w/o having to show S&S, (they know your name!) and always there for you. We love being known on a first name basis and they know what you drink. First time we did this, on the Triumph, our bar waiter burst into tears when we gave him an extra tip! We've done it ever since and have always had excellent bar service, no matter where we were.

Haven't seen this: we always tip our bar server! Have EXCELLENT service! $1 for every drink. Some say we've already paid for this, but we do it anyway & have had free drinks at the end of the cruise - or not. Still, service w/o having to show S&S, (they know your name!) and always there for you. We love being known on a first name basis and they know what you drink. First time we did this, on the Triumph, our bar waiter burst into tears when we gave him an extra tip! We've done it ever since and have always had excellent bar service, no matter where we were.

I have been in alot of fights about this on here lol

Im a intoxicologist;) and I tip everyone well and am never thirsty

FCC future cruise certificate.Costs $100 when your on board.2 years to redeem and you get $100 towards your cruise and $100 onboard credit.So basically you get a free $100 bill towards your next cruise sign and sail card .Its a win win

I have the carnival credit card ( I know its not the best but I pay it off monthly )

So does the FCC have to be purchased with the Carnival card or can we use our Citi card?

You have 5 years to use your FCC and they can be purchased using any credit card. If you are planning on cruising again it's a no brainer because you get on board credit. If for some reason you do not cruise within 5 years you can get your money back.

I hate to admit I still have no idea what a FCC is (well I know what it is) but can someone tell me the process? I thought I had read they have to be purchased with the Carnival Credit Card, is that true? I ask because I would like to plan my platinum cruise and if FCC are worth it I will look into it. I know we've walked by the desk before but we have never stopped.

FYI~For those of you who have points reward programs on your credit cards check to see if they offer any cruise certificates. I just recently realized that our Citi card has Carnival cruise certificates as a reward for points, for years we've been getting gas and Home Depot gift cards not knowing about the cruise ones. I was able to use two on this cruise, after I booked even though it says for new bookings. I also just ordered two more for $200 off my next cruise :)

I have the citi card too. I used the cruise dollars to pay the balance of my December cruise. ;) I did find out that they go out of stock occasionally, but they usually return in a week or two.

My certificate from June 8th doesn't say it must be a new booking??? It cannot be used for the deposit or OBC, only for the balance due. So, it would be an existing booking.

Something I still don't know the answer to: How do you hear the announcements over the PA system when inside your stateroom, other than by opening the door? I thought there would be a TV station that played them audibly. But I tried every station and none of them did.

FCC is billed to your Sign and Sail account. You have 2 years to use it.

Actually, they specifically do not bill it to the S&S card and have said so. I think a couple of people managed it, maybe the FCC agent was new. Its billed separate in case you need to cancel. It has to be a separate charge to your card. you cannot pay cash for it, so if you have a cash based S&S account you cant buy a FCC as some on here have reported and been mad about.

Something I still don't know the answer to: How do you hear the announcements over the PA system when inside your stateroom, other than by opening the door? I thought there would be a TV station that played them audibly. But I tried every station and none of them did.

They aren't normally broadcast into the staterooms but the CD and Captain have the ability to do so. They would only do that in an emergency. You can often hear a muffled voice in the hallway so if you want to hear what is being broadcast in the public areas (and the hallways) you can go over and open your door to hear. That's what we do.

I wish I hadnt left all the paperwork and planning to someone else. We almost missed the ship because the person I was travelling with thought that the sailaway time was the beginning of check in time...like a hotel. It makes me cringe every time I think about how close we came. Heard the ship's horn from the parking lot as we ran to check in.

Archived