Transportation from Amalfi to Positano

yorkiemomjn

Our ship is going to be anchored in Amalfi for a day. What is the best way to get from there to Positano. Should we book a driver ahead of time or is there a ferry to take us there? Also, we would like to go to

Ravello for a little while, too. Will we be able to find a taxi in Positano to take us up there? When we were there a couple of years ago, we shared a van, along with other people on CC for the Amalfi drive, but my husband & I were hoping to just DIY this time.

Thanks!

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
Our ship is going to be anchored in Amalfi for a day. What is the best way to get from there to Positano. Should we book a driver ahead of time or is there a ferry to take us there? Also, we would like to go to

Ravello for a little while, too. Will we be able to find a taxi in Positano to take us up there? When we were there a couple of years ago, we shared a van, along with other people on CC for the Amalfi drive, but my husband & I were hoping to just DIY this time.

Thanks!

Judy

I'd book a driver. We just got back. They know the roads and will get you back in time. Also, you won't have to worry about bus schedules. Didn't see taxi's in Positano--there's only 1 road in and out of Positano. You walk down to the beach....We used Johnny Maresca (google)---250 Euros for the 2 of us. He/his driver will take u wherever u want to go.

In the summer, weather permitting, there are ferry connections between the main towns along the coast, including Amalfi and Positano.

The Amalfi Tourist Office lists one taxi company, located at Piazza Flavio Gioia - tel. 089 872239. See their web site here: http://www.amalfitouristoffice.it/en/muoversi.htm

Are the ferry schedules terribly different in the fall? We will be in Naples in late October. My plan, at this point, is to take the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento, spend some time there, and then take another hydrofoil/ferry to Positano. It looks like we can go back to Naples from Positano on a ferry as well. Does this make sense?

The schedules are significantly different, I'm afraid. By late October you'll find some restaurants already closed for the season as well.

Don't rely on the ferry only for transportation, but sure you have a solid back-up plan. The Alilauro summer schedule is only through mid-September, Metro del Mare doesn't have a date on theirs, or at least not one I noticed.

http://www.metrodelmare.net/

http://www.alilauro.it/

That's a good idea. The more I look at the schedules, the more I'm thinking that doing the ferry both ways could be difficult, and that's using the current schedules. Who knows what the options could be in October. Any thoughts on how much a taxi would be between Positano and Naples?

Based on the one-way set fare from Naples to Positano, I'd say about 125 Euro. (See the Naples set fares here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665).

In this situation I'd negotiate a set fare before getting into the cab, with this knowledge in hand, rather than go with the meter. I'd find the taxi stand as soon I got into town, then negotiate the fare with a particular driver and set a time and place for departure. Don't leave without the driver's business card and a phone number you can reach him/her at.

Thanks. I've looked at all the time tables before, and the return trip seems to be somewhat problematic, even in the best of situations. We hired a driver/guide last year, which might be the way to go this year, too.

Hire a driver before you leave for your cruise. Not to diss eurocruiser, but by the time you try to find a taxi and negotiate---just remember that u are in a foreign country, and the streets/languages etc aren't the same. Everything's just not right there out in the open with signs pointing you in whatever direction you need to go in. Since your time is limited, I'd hire a driver. We did--I'm all for DIY, but when you're pressed for time on a cruise.....

The ferry would be my first choice--great views and you avoid the problems with potential traffic jams which definitely occur frequently. However, if that schedule won't work, I would hire a taxi. No need to do ahead of time. When you get off the tender in Amalfi, there will be a bunch of taxis all lined up (I have actually seen them with my eyes). They are all trying to get your business, so finding one and negotiating a price will maybe take all of 5 minutes.

The other option if you are really on a budget would be the bus. They run pretty frequently and are the way many locals get around. It is actually a pretty fun experience. Or you could do ferry one way and bus the other.

What is like trying to get from Amalfi to Ravello and back. We have a few hours in Amalfi off a boat from the ship. If we want to return to the ship's tender in Positano from Ravello how would we do it, how long would it take and at what cost? Thanks.:)

super easy. Ravello is close to Amalfi. In fact, we hiked from Ravello to Amalfi in just a couple of hours. There are plenty of taxis for hire--don't know cost, but I can't imagine it would be outrageous. Or you could take the local bus, which is what we did. Ravello is a neat little town. We went to the villas (beautiful) and had lunch at a local restaurant then hiked down to Amalfi alongside a river that has a bunch of ruined paper plants beside it.

Now if you want to go from Ravello to Positano, that is more complicated as you have to go back through Amalfi, either by driving or catching the ferry in Amalfi to Positano. Ravello is on the opposite side of Amalfi from Positano.

It all sounds so e-z on the board. When u hire a driver and they take u all over, u'll see how a bit inconvenient it really is. THe roads aren't straight--they're narrow and winding and when we were there, 2 busses in the opposite direction scrunched together b/c the roads are that narrow.....

Archived